Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: When is your season over for the winter

My season was over three months ago when I sold my boat.
New boat is in the works.
I sure miss my old boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

There is something seriously wrong if Bob P doesn't have a boat... Yes I know you have a new very stylish looking manually powered alum boat in the works (nice lines by the way)... but seriously Bob with no boat? That's just wrong!
jimgo likes this.
Old 10-10-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I will be doing a short haul in the spring, to put on a new coat of anti-fouling paint.
I have been thinking about this approach this year as well.

Doesn't the bottom have to dry out a bit before you apply the new paint?

How long of a short haul are we talking about?
Old 10-10-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

My sailing season is over on December 31st and starts anew on Jan 1st. Haulouts for the winter aren't common here in Seattle and the wind is more reliable in the winter months anyway. Last year some of my best sailing was in October and November. The winds were always 10-20, sometimes a bit higher. The whales were often down here in Seattle instead of up in the San Juans.

It does get cold, good foulies and a dodger are almost mandatory.
blt2ski likes this.
Old 10-10-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Never...

Sailing in winter can be some of the best you'll have all year :-)

LaurenceU likes this.
Old 10-10-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

We hauled out last Friday (Oct. 4). Many boats are still in, but I suspect most will be out over the next two weeks. September sailing/weather is usually good, October is a mixed bag, November can be downright nasty. Launch will hopefully be in very early May.

Old 10-10-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Some of my marina-mates are already getting hauled out. Last year, Thanksgiving weekend was beautiful and would have been perfect for sailing. I'm leaning toward trying to keep ours in the water until after Thanksgiving if the marina will let us and the weather cooperates. Besides, they have a "last out, first in" policy, and I'd like to be in early next season.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 10-10-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Orlando: 89 sunny days; Buffalo: 59 sunny days.(Edit: Buffalo: 54)
Source: World Facts and Figures - Weather Facts and Statistics

Last edited by Seaduction; 10-10-2013 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Corrected Buffalo Number
Old 10-10-2013

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

Haul out starts next week, with all boats out before Thanksgiving. I am hoping for my haul out to be among the last, to get one more 3 or 4 day sail. Splash starts 1st week of April.

I have stayed in the water over winter twice on the Delaware River, with last sail the 1st week of December and 1st sail mid-March. January and February are just too cold for me.
Old 10-10-2013

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn

Taking Fri Oct 11 off to make a longer Thanksgiving weekend. I could haul on Monday but my winter storage guy is off that day for Thanksgiving. Consequently my wife and are are going for a Friday afternoon sail and upon return do the final pump out and remove the main and boom. Sat AM I will pull out early and head 11NM west to downtown Toronto where my cradle sits. I want to be the first one out Sat AM.
My plan is to get a head start on next spring's work which will be lighter than all the stuff I had to since getting her a year ago. I am going to replace the 2 stroke motor lift with a proper 4 stroke lift so once the 9.9 Honda is off and winterized I will be squeezing into the lazerette to reach the inside nuts on the current bracket. If it comes off nicely then I will get the holes filled in with epoxy. I will watch for sales this winter on a new bracket.

Weather permitting I will give the topsides a light sanding. Next spring I am going to use the last of my topsides paint and put on a new coat. When I did it last spring I ended up with some brush marks during roll & tipping. I hope to get those sanded off and do a better job in 2014.

I also need to search out the source of water in the bilge. I have 2 choices: rudder or the scupper. I think it is the latter so I need to investigate if I can simply epoxy in a smaller diameter pipe.

Oh yeah and since I got it with the mast up I am dropping the mast on Sat. I need to replace wiring, one stuck halyard and the twisted windex.

If I get ambitious I might build new drop boards. Or I may simply catch up on my reading.
fryewe likes this.

1981 Edel 665
Currently on top of the water and the world @ Lakefront Promenade Marina, Mississauga, ON