Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: When is your season over for the winter

We stay at our marina year round but the mast comes down first week of December. Last sail is usually Thanksgiving weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

My sailing season is over on March the 16th and starts over on May the 6th Haulouts for the winter aren't common here in South Carolina either except for maintenance. We always have better wind in the winter months than the summer. Last year my wife and some friends went to Bull point fro some shelling we swam from the boat over to the beach. that was February the 8th. the water temp was 79 and it was 83 degrees out side. some of my best sailing was in October and November. I will haul the ECL out for a cleaning and 1 coat of paint. I need to do away with 1 thru hull and re-bed 3 other. I will take a look at the cutlass bearing while under there and new zinc's of course.
We sail year round and so glad for it...
Old 10-10-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Haulout 10/15 or 10/17, haven't decided yet.. I was going to do it today, but it's already cold and rainy... I doubt things will get better between now and then, but maybe I'll feel a bit better... I hate getting wet to haul, couldn't get the boat high enough on the trailer last year, spent like 2 hours in 55 degree water up to my chest... NOT GOOD. This year I have a plan. If things work out, maybe I won't be having to swim so much.. Crossing fingers.

By the way, trailer-launching a deep fin keel boat, even with a steep ramp <> my idea of fun. Actually launching is easy, retrieval.... THAT's the tough part.

Just saying.
Old 10-10-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

I usually stop sailing in early January and go out again in late February. During cold weather I sail in my wet suit (dinghy sailing).
Old 10-10-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Instead of hauling out this winter, I would rather be hauling a$$ toward the Florida Keys instead. Unfortunately, this is not possible until 2015 because of a very heavy work schedule. So, this winter's haulout will likely be sometime around the first week in December. Damned I hate winter!

Gary
jimgo likes this.
Old 10-10-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

We hauled Auspicious mast up yesterday. This will be our first winter out since I bought her in 2006. The project list was getting long and it was time to get ahead. We'll go back in the Spring as early as it is warm enough to paint.

In the meantime I'll get my sailing Jones on delivery and other people's boats.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-10-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

We never take our boats out here, as the sea water never even gets near freezing. But, around January through March, you have to be a lot more cold tolerant than me to enjoy sailing.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 10-10-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
Lake Champlain water temp is 60 as of today. (It's been a warm fall.) I'm sure I'll jump in for a last swim this weekend with the air temps at 70. We had some days in September that were indistinguishable from a July day.

People here sail well into December, and I would keep my boat in longer if the marinas I use--both for summer mooring and winter storage--allowed me to.
We had to haul to the marina schedule too, and that usually had all boats out in early October(Charlotte). But early freezes were not too unusual in Vermont. We once lost a transmission casing that froze and cracked on an October haul. It happened during the night of the haul out, too late for me winterizing the next day. We also sailed out of Lake Champlain down the Hudson heading to the Bahamas, It was late October and we had a snowstorm in Partidge Cove. That's never happened here, yet.

But I see the reverse living on the coast of Maine in the spring. Spring lingers here, cold and wet, when Vermont had warm days(we grew up in Vermont).

The old adage for coastal Maine, "10 degrees cooler in summer, 10 degrees warmer in winter",(compared to inland) seems pretty accurate after living here for over a decade.

No prettier sailing grounds than Lake Champlain.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 10-10-2013

nodders is on a distinguished road

Our mast came down last Sunday and the rest are coming down this weekend. Haulout is October 20,21. Always a big debate at our club, particularly for those that want to extend the season as long as possible. The challenge is the weather which can be beautiful this time of year (like today) or miserable. The last thing you want on haulout is icy docks and decks, as well as engines that won't start. So we tend to be conservative and err on the side of safety. It also frees up a little extra time for winterizing engines, waxing hulls etc.

Old 10-10-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I live on the Chesapeake so my winter sailing stops when the creek freezes over or else when spring arrives and it goes from winter sailing to spring sailing.

When I sailed in New York, we would sail until the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Jeff
ABH3 Boyer and Philzy3985 like this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies