Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road
Re: When is your season over for the winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian View Post
I haul this Sunday. I'm on lake champlain and have sailed into late November, but when I wait that long there's only one marina that will still haul and it's at the far northern edge of the lake. Since I'm in a part of the lake that's behind a drawbridge that only operates on demand until Oct. 15, I either have to get out this weekend, or plan a week in advance to schedule an opening...
Are you on the Inland Sea? We are, and are dropping our boat off at Ladd's Landing on Sunday afternoon. We don't have to go under the draw bridge, but Apple Tree Bay kicks us off our mooring by October 15.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2013
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

I went out to run the engine dry on Wednesday night. I just got the word that the holding tank has been pumped and sent an email to the club manager that he can haul it when he's ready.

Time to start working on my house.

Ken

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-12-2013
Maine Dub

34crealock is on a distinguished road

One more 3 day sail this week( temps low sixties day, low 40's night) pulling her out on the 21st. I still have plenty of Corrona in the fridge. The summer people have long since returned to their winter habitations. I know I will have most of the coast of Maine and all my favorite anchorages to myself. When I was out last week, I saw maybe 2 or 3 sailboats each day. Had I continued South as planned 3 weeks ago, I would be in the Chesapeake by now. There is always next year.
PSC 34 #286
Coorie Doon
Old 10-12-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Regarding use of a heater on board, BoatUS had this to say in this month's Seaworthy issue:

Quote:

This 27-foot Rinker was "winterized" by placing a space heater in the engine room. The boat, which was afloat in her slip in Alabama (another "no-freeze" state), caught fire when the extension cord used to power the heater shorted where it had been damaged at some point. The boat was destroyed and damaged another boat as well as the dock (Claim #0300330). Other boats have been lost when the heater itself has caught fire, when the heater has ignited something combustible inside the boat, or when the heater has been tipped over by a large wake that rocked the boat. Even light bulbs in the engine room have caused fires.

Don't rely on an electric heater to keep your boat safe this winter — it may not, and it might even destroy your pride and joy. Winterize your boat properly, even if you live in an area that seems safe from hard freezes. It only takes a couple of hours to prepare a boat properly — or to destroy an engine in a cold snap if the power goes out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 10-12-2013

yossarian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
Are you on the Inland Sea? We are, and are dropping our boat off at Ladd's Landing on Sunday afternoon. We don't have to go under the draw bridge, but Apple Tree Bay kicks us off our mooring by October 15.
I'm in St. Albans bay. Always intend to winter at Ladds Landing, but last time I checked, they required a cradle (which I don't have). So I made the run to Plattsburgh today and will go back tomorrow to winterize....

Apple Tree bay is the marina right near the causeway, right? I love the inland sea - big, beautiful, not too crowded....
Old 10-12-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

What is this winter thing you speak of?
Old 10-12-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Then again, if you really want to have fun move to washington

"You know what's awesome? ALL of Washington. How many places in the country can you be in the desert, in a rainforest, in a rain shadow, on a volcano, at the ocean, in the snow, in the sun, and in the rain, ALL IN THE SAME STATE and all on the same day? Not too many. ALL of Washington rules." - Julie Calhoun
I like Washington but in the winter you can't get away from the cold.
Here in So Cal
We do a day every april with 8 guys from high school where we go skiing in the morning then to a friends house to ride the dirt bikes for an hour around his track. drive to beach to go surfing at Doheny beach. End the day with an evening sail on my boat which is 5 minutes from the surf spot. All in one day wearing shorts .
my season ends on a day in February when we haul to paint the bottom and starts back up three days latter when we drop it back in.
Old 10-13-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
Lake Champlain water temp is 60 as of today. (It's been a warm fall.) I'm sure I'll jump in for a last swim this weekend with the air temps at 70. We had some days in September that were indistinguishable from a July day.

People here sail well into December, and I would keep my boat in longer if the marinas I use--both for summer mooring and winter storage--allowed me to.
Once the water in Champlain changes state, one can sail out to the ice shanty to go ice fishing. So sailing never ends on Champlain:-)

I cheated and moved the boat from Champlain down FL way this year so I can escape when cabin fever ("Heeeeeeer's Johnny") starts to set in.

Last edited by smurphny; 10-13-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-13-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
I like Washington but in the winter you can't get away from the cold.
Here in So Cal
We do a day every april with 8 guys from high school where we go skiing in the morning then to a friends house to ride the dirt bikes for an hour around his track. drive to beach to go surfing at Doheny beach. End the day with an evening sail on my boat which is 5 minutes from the surf spot. All in one day wearing shorts .
my season ends on a day in February when we haul to paint the bottom and starts back up three days latter when we drop it back in.
Bring your team up to Bellingham in April?!?!?! a ski to sound race is run. A xcountry skier goes up the hill, a down hill down to a bike or runner, then later hands off to a canoe or runner inbetween.....You guys could have a good time!

I can sorta do the same depending upon the time of year. Spent a few Mays in Bend Or, sking until 1 pm, then come down and do 18holes. One can go to Hood in summer, ski until noon, hit some holes, windsurf in hood river........

Maybes should say, gotta luv the west coast! LOLOL
Old 10-13-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian View Post
I'm in St. Albans bay. Always intend to winter at Ladds Landing, but last time I checked, they required a cradle (which I don't have). So I made the run to Plattsburgh today and will go back tomorrow to winterize....

Apple Tree bay is the marina right near the causeway, right? I love the inland sea - big, beautiful, not too crowded....
Yep, we're right after the causeway coming from the main land. Sailed from there to Ladd's Landing with a 15-20 south wind today--all down wind--and really enjoyed the last sail of the season. (Yesterday was gorgeous too, but not much wind.)

I wouldn't be surprised if Ladd's has cradles available, or I know I've seen some on Craigslist in the area. It would be so much easier for you to haul there, and they are really good people.

I feel like our area is very undiscovered. Can't believe how many times I was out this summer and fall wondering why there was not another boat in sight. Shhhh..... (This was a couple weeks ago.)