Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2013

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road
When is your season over for the winter

I will be going out for a few hours on Saturday and then its time to drop the mast and pull her out for the winter. The marina where I dock locks the gates on the 16th of October and will pull your boat if its not out. The boat owner has to pay a hefty pull out and storage fee per day if not gone by then. I can see the reason for this as I believe some people buy boats and just forget about them. They don't ever leave the dock. I'm fortunate enough to have a 26 ft trailer sailor so I don't have to rely on a crane to take it out for me but I assume when that is the case it needs to be scheduled and everyone wants to wait until they absolutely have to be out. So this makes me think why are we closing things up so early. Snow happens once in a while in October in Buffalo, N.Y. but the lake never freezes before late December and there are always a couple stretches of warm days through November. We call it Indian summer here. My question for you is when do you have to be out by and do you think its an appropriate date for your climate. I'm not looking for comments from people who's season doesn't end and just want to bash Buffalo. We have more sunny days than Orlando Florida and more wind than the windy city of Chicago.I also don't have to deal with any of maintenance that comes with salt water and like all 4 seasons including winter.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: When is your season over for the winter

I'm on the middle Chesapeake Bay.
My season ends (or pauses) when the water turns hard.
I don't haul out unless the hull needs maintenance.

If the water is too hard to sail, then I do cosmetic, engine or electrical maintenance. Sometimes I light an oil lamp, and just sit on the boat and read.

I will be doing a short haul in the spring, to put on a new coat of anti-fouling paint. I might replace the toilet supply water through-hull and seacock as the old one is getting rather stiff.

My situation is a bit unique in that I am not at a marina. My neighborhood has a beach club, and we own a small, private dock at the end of my street. As long as I pay my annual dues, I can keep my boat there.
Jeff_H likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-10-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

October 15 is the last day I can be on my mooring. I plan to sail Friday, Saturday and Sunday--and leave the boat at the marina where I haul on Sunday afternoon. A sad weekend indeed, but it has been a spectacular fall here in the northeast, and I have nothing but sun and temps in the 70s forecasted through the weekend (though light winds) so I can't really complain.
Old 10-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

We sail through the end of Sept for sure, it's the best month here. Everything is still open, there is enough activity to not feel abandon, but crazy crowds are gone. By Oct, sailing is hit or miss. With our cockpit enclosure, we can comfortably sail, but who wants to dinghy ashore in a 60 deg windy drizzle, for example? Many seasonal places are rolling up the carpets in Oct and it's just a bit of a buzz kill.

If we get out at all in Oct, it's usually just a day sail or we stay at anchor and cook dinner aboard. I will say its super peaceful, as most anchorages are empty, zero, nada. We haul around Nov 1, so by this weekend, we're beginning the winterization process. Sails and engine are always last. However, when the ice maker, fresh water and heat are decommissioned, I start questioning my commitment.

Truthfully, it's not so bad to take a small break. We spend four days aboard for six straight months and get fairly compulsive about leaving the dock, staying at anchor and not agreeing to other invitations all summer. We invite a lot of people to join us and they do! At that level, it gets exhausting. I also have several winter projects that just can't get done while we're so active in season. However, after about 6 to 8 weeks on the hard, I'm dying to get back in and still have several months to go.

Btw, if you buy seasonal insurance, meaning you have a required layup period, that most commonly starts on Nov 1 here. I negotiate to Dec 1. Dreaming. . And they know it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-10-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

first of November, more or less. I used to sail Lake Champlain. the season here on the coast of Maine is longer. Winters are milder and the "warm" seawater extends the fall season. The sea tends to work against us by extending the spring season, cooler.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 10-10-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
first of November, more or less. I used to sail Lake Champlain. the season here on the coast of Maine is longer. Winters are milder and the "warm" seawater extends the fall season. The sea tends to work against us by extending the spring season, cooler.
Lake Champlain water temp is 60 as of today. (It's been a warm fall.) I'm sure I'll jump in for a last swim this weekend with the air temps at 70. We had some days in September that were indistinguishable from a July day.

People here sail well into December, and I would keep my boat in longer if the marinas I use--both for summer mooring and winter storage--allowed me to.
smurphny likes this.
Old 10-10-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

our sailing season does not stop for winter. winter here is high season, when all you i cant sail at home anymopre folks come here.. it is pair a dice and greeeen until late spring, when rains begin, and summer we have named storms....but that is no problem, as for every beautiful thing, you must give a little something.
i get to sit underneath forming storms, which is a lot better than sitting somewhere waiting for a full grown and angry one coming down on ye....less wind and lots of rain. makes it gorgeous here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 10-10-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

I am in the Chesapeake and have scheduled the haul out for some time after Thanksgiving. Fall sailing is usually great here on the bay. The scenery is beautiful, the wind is better, and anchorages that are popular in the summer are now empty. Next year I may stay in the water all year and haul out in July for maintenance. July can be hot and windless, and the boatyards are less busy.
chef2sail likes this.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Old 10-10-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

My haulout is scheduled for October 21. I'm not looking forward to it, but conditions have taken a seasonal turn for the worse the last few days, so I guess it's inevitable. Things get busy this time of year, so it's time to move on to other things for now.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 10-10-2013

seaner97 is on a distinguished road
When is your season over for the winter

My insurance stipulates oct 5. Would sail longer, but it is what it is.