Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2013

Markwesti is on a distinguished road
California boat reg .

Here in the land of fruits and nuts our State law makers are at it again . We are now required to pay a fee of $16. per reg. so that's double for most (dingy). All for Quagga and zebra mussel infestation . WHOA hold on I just looked a little harder at my reg. renewal, I'm exempt ! It says exempt if your in the Ocean. Any how I still think this is BS. Like their really going to do something about the problem, is there a problem? this reminds me of the time we were required to pay a use fee . (about 20 yrs. ago) they said send us your money or the Coasties will board you . Coasties said what? Don't think so. Well now their getting smarter(?) just send em' a bill.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
re: California boat reg .

Invasive species are a huge problem. California has been expending a lot of effort and funds to keep Dreissena spp. (the genus to which both zebra and quagga mussels belong) from becoming a serious problem in this state. Right now D. polymorpha (zebra mussels) cause more than half a billion dollars worth of damage to the Great Lakes every year. Would you rather have the California economy take a half-billion dollar per year hit, or have the most likely vector of Dreissena introductions pay a modest fee to fund efforts to avoid such?
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 10-10-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road
re: California boat reg .

We have the problem here in Arizona, it's a very bad problem for inland water ways.

The problem is these fees never get to the source of the problem, they get eaten up by officials along the way.
Old 10-10-2013

Markwesti is on a distinguished road
Re: California boat reg .

Double down on AZguy .
Old 10-10-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Here's the problem with this added reg cost, AB703,433 & SB497 addesses this problem at the source, amendments in 2008 & 2009 increase the per vessel fee to ensure adequate funds were available to meet program requirements. To extend this to a per vessel scope that includes dinghies and runabouts or anyother non water ballast vessel is ludicrous. I don't know of any dink or runabout that has a Ballast or one that should fall under the Ballast Water Management Program nor do I know of any dink or runabout that travels beyond the states EEZ.

I can tell you (Based on years of prior experience with this kind of stuff ) the funds collected to fight the spread of nonindigenous aquatic species into the state waters of California will be siphoned off to fund non related programs, Just like what happened with the Green & Red sticker program for OHV's.

Sorry for the simi rant but this is just another ruze and nothing less.

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 10-10-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

arent cali boat registrations for 2 two years??????

and arent they only 16 usd for 2 TWO years?????
wtf is the problem,mon...if i could do that, why cannot you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-11-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Here's the problem with this added reg cost, AB703,433 & SB497 addesses this problem at the source, amendments in 2008 & 2009 increase the per vessel fee to ensure adequate funds were available to meet program requirements. To extend this to a per vessel scope that includes dinghies and runabouts or anyother non water ballast vessel is ludicrous. I don't know of any dink or runabout that has a Ballast or one that should fall under the Ballast Water Management Program nor do I know of any dink or runabout that travels beyond the states EEZ.

I can tell you (Based on years of prior experience with this kind of stuff ) the funds collected to fight the spread of nonindigenous aquatic species into the state waters of California will be siphoned off to fund non related programs, Just like what happened with the Green & Red sticker program for OHV's.

Sorry for the simi rant but this is just another ruze and nothing less.
its not just water ballast that they care about . engines are water cooled and can transfer the evasive species. show up at any inland fresh water launch ramp and you will be required to show that your engine and boat is dry. they make you lower the outdrive and if water comes out of the engine or the boat drain plug you will not be allowed to launch
Old 10-11-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
wtf is the problem,mon...if i could do that, why cannot you.
The problem is not in the doing it, I do it every couple years, the problem is where it goes, or better yet where it hasn't gone. Another 8.5 million a year on top of the millions/yr collected since 2002?............. come on, we could have built tiny little condos for the little buggers by now

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 10-11-2013
Senior Slacker

Quote:
Here's the problem with this added reg cost, AB703,433 & SB497 addesses this problem at the source, amendments in 2008 & 2009 increase the per vessel fee to ensure adequate funds were available to meet program requirements....
I believe all of those bills concerned the introduction of marine and estuarine species from foreign ports via large ships. The topic at hand is the introduction of freshwater mussels into California from other areas of the US.

Quote:
... To extend this to a per vessel scope that includes dinghies and runabouts or anyother non water ballast vessel is ludicrous. I don't know of any dink or runabout that has a Ballast or one that should fall under the Ballast Water Management Program nor do I know of any dink or runabout that travels beyond the states EEZ....
Freshwater mussels are usually transported as adults adhered to boat hulls and inside thru-hulls, rather than larvae in ballast tanks. A few small adults stuck to the inside of the centerboard trunk of your dink could easily spread zebra mussels to areas not already infested.

Quote:
...I can tell you (Based on years of prior experience with this kind of stuff ) the funds collected to fight the spread of nonindigenous aquatic species into the state waters of California will be siphoned off to fund non related programs...yadda...yadda...yadda...
An excuse often used to argue against just about any government program, no matter how necessary, that WRWs don't like. Tell us, how much do YOU think boaters should pay to help prevent boats from being the mechanism causing the introduction of these pests? After-all, we're talking about critters that cause more than $500,000,000/year worth of damage to the Great Lakes region, and could easily cause as much or more economic impact in California (just think about what might happen if the Federal and State water projects couldn't function because they were clogged with mussels). Or do you think the funds necessary for such a prevention program should come from people who are far less likely to be responsible for FW mussel introductions???
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 10-11-2013
Senior Slacker

Quote:
The problem is not in the doing it, I do it every couple years, the problem is where it goes, or better yet where it hasn't gone. Another 8.5 million a year on top of the millions/yr collected since 2002?.............yadda...yadda...yadda...
Think for a moment, poopy. The "burdened rate" for a Fish and Wildlife Warden is at least $100,000/year (probably more). So, $8,500,000/year will only fund 85 additional F&W Warden positions (probably less) for the entire state. That's for manning inspection stations/patrols over all of the states lakes and waterways. So we're talking about one or two additional Warden positions per county. And that doesn't include funding research, logistic support, et cetera.

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 10-11-2013 at 12:27 AM.