Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2013

Dave_E is on a distinguished road
Genoa Track cars and things

Hi All,

After researching for awhile and not coming up with much, I thought I'd ask the experts. My Allmand 31's first PO was a sailing nut who installed about every piece of running rigging you could, all lines lead aft etc.. I have 2 geanoa tracks on each side, a long one on the rail and a short one next to the cabin structure.

The outside rail had 3 cars on it. One was your basic block (that opens up with a turning, locking pin), then there was one with a springy pulley on it, then there is one with a metal loop on it.

I have never used anything but a basic block to run jib sheets through on their way to the winch. Can someone please explain what the other 2 are for. (I can guess the sringy pulley was for the spinaker)? Thanks.

Dave
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Genoa Track cars and things

Hmmmmm:
You would not lead a spin sheet that far forward. It could be for the spin guy if you are flying a sym spin with pole.

Othere than that I don' know.It's great you have an outboard track for reaching but you only need one block on it. I'm not sure what you mean by "basic block" and " springy pulley". "Metal loop on it" ? No idea what that is.

Maybe you should post a pic. Can't imagine why you will need more than one block on that outboard track. It would be a good place for a snatch block so you can move your jib sheet from the inboard to the outboard track eaily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-11-2013

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

Pictures are worth a thousand words. I have all 3 of these on the outside track and one block on the inside track.
Attached Thumbnails
Genoa Track cars and things-32-77.jpg   Genoa Track cars and things-genoa_cars_html_txt_sch%2520303-72.gif   Genoa Track cars and things-sch-72-46.jpg  
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career

Last edited by Dave_E; 10-11-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-11-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

the track on the Allmand does go back far enough to be used for a spinnaker or gennaker sheet. sounds like he is talking about a spring stand up block and a snatch block. the bigger of the two would be for the genoa. the stand up block to be used for a spinnaker because the block will not get a warp on the line and is ready when it is needed. the metal loop is made to attach another block if one is needed. could be slid forward on the track to be used for a boom preventer or vang
Old 10-11-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I also use the metal loop for my spring line when tying up the boat (I use a temporary line from the primary winch for controlling the boat while docking). The one that I have is strong enough for that purpose and doesn't catch sheets the way that a track mounted cleat would.

My tracks don't go far enough aft for spinnaker sheets, so I have two blocks attached to dyneema loops that are mounted on the aft docking cleats. On my old Catalina 25 the tracks did go all the way to the far end of the boat and there were two sets of blocks on them, one for jib/genoa sheets and one for spinnaker sheets.
Old 10-11-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Another use for an additional block at the aft end of the track is to ensure a good lead angle to the winch drum regardless of jib car position (ie the sheet runs through both blocks). This is especially helpful on boats with strong sheerlines where forward positions of the jib car create 'too flat' a lead angle to the winch. In addition it can help avoid chafe on the cabin side or coaming on the port winch, which must lead to the inside of the drum.

I run our sheets through a block on the toerail for that reason...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-11-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I'd keep the stanbd up[ "sping" block for the jib sheet when reaching and I'd keep the pad eye car for a snatch block for whenever you need it. Maybe use it to barber haul your jib sheet when it's on the inner track. The all black block is redundant.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-13-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Faster,

I would also add that snatch blocks like you are using there have dramatically lower working loads than fixed blocks, and should not be used for permanent fair leads.
Old 10-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Faster,

I would also add that snatch blocks like you are using there have dramatically lower working loads than fixed blocks, and should not be used for permanent fair leads.
I know you've mentioned that before... but these have been doing the job for a long time, and we used similar blocks on our earlier 40 footer without incident..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-13-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

Have to agree with Faster. looks like a Ronstan block which is rated at 5000#, which is a way higher rating then most standard blocks with that sheave size.