Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2013

jfine is on a distinguished road
Indoor vs outdoor storage

Last year I stored our Capri indoors for $300 for the season. This year it's jumped to $400. I have some options for storing outdoors for $100-200. I generally thought storing indoors would be less prone to issues but wanted to see what you guys thought with regard to pricing. I'm having a hard time swallowing the new price.

Follow up, if I do go outdoors, what are some key things to look out for? I'm assuming a good tarp and some desiccants in the cabin but other than that I'm not sure. The Capri doesn't have plumbing.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road
Re: Indoor vs outdoor storage

I'm going to follow this, because I need the same advice. I just got a boat dropped in my driveway last night and I'm curious what I should do to it other than tarp it.

I haven't picked up the outboard yet. I suppose there are things you are supposed to do to them before winter.

I guess I'll start with:
site:sailnet.com/forums winterize outboard - Google Search
Old 10-11-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Other than winterizing stuff, the biggest concern is that you would want to avoid the accumulation of ice in places that can do damage. Getting a tarp to stay on without causing it's own chafing damage is sometimes a challenge. If you have some major projects to do this winter, you will be able to get much more done indoors than out. In the end it comes down to what you value. Those sound like reasonable prices.
Old 10-11-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

For outdoor storage, I'd suggest washing and waxing, to seal the gelcoat against six months of UV damage and all the dirt that will come down. That also gives you a chance to inspect everything up close. It might also be a good idea to check for leaks (pressurize the hull, look for soap bubbles) so you don't have to worry about water getting in and sitting.

But I'm a great believe in doing things the Navy way: Mothball the ship. Boat. Buy a couple of boxes of old fashioned mothballs, camphor or naphtha, and scatter then below and in the end of the boom before sealing up the boat. They keep ALL the critters out, including wasps, prevent mildew/fungus/mold, and they sublimate to leave a rust-preventive coating on all the metal parts. One warning, the fumes are not good for people so in the spring, open the boat up while holding your breath, and make sure it ventilates before you go below.
Old 10-11-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I used a heavy-weight silver/grey tarp from Harbor Freight two years ago on our C25. You can get the really big ones for $60-70 on sale. The mast was down even though we were in a marina's yard. I built a frame out of PVC that let me get into the cabin and cockpit so I could do some work. Including the rope and PVC, I probably spent between $100 and $125 for the "cover". The tarp hung down over the sides of the boat, and was tied under the boat. The following spring, the tarp did show signs of wear, but mostly at the grommets. Toward the end of the winter, I did have places where the frame came unstuck (the PVC pulled free from the elbows) and snow occasionally built up, but it really wasn't that bad. I didn't have any problems with bent stanchions or anything like that.

All that being said, you'll have to balance the one-time out-of-pocket cost, and the cost of your time, against the difference in price between indoor and outdoor storage. Personally, I'd look to bite the bullet and keep the boat inside. I agree with Barquito, those sound like fantastic prices.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-11-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

you will spend the extra $200 on covers. indoors would be worth the $400 to me but then we sail all year round so don't need covers. but I keep my CAT indoors and it does not age at all.
Old 10-11-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road

I would think it partly depends how far away it is and what sort of access you'd have. If it's not a big deal to go out and check on it now and then, saving an extra couple of hundred bucks every year might be worth it assuming you're not buying covers annually.

We had some small boats when I was young and they were always kept outside on our property but I was not old enough to be responsible for maintenance so I really can't say if it's problematic or not.
Old 10-11-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Considering that jfine lives in western NY (per profile page - might want to put that in your signature) which can get considerable snowfall at times off the Lakes it still sounds worth it to me to pay the $400 for indoor storage.
With outdoor storage you will want to at least tarp it and check on it after heavy snowfalls, storms, etc.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-12-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

No outboard either? Indoors is a big advantage for outboards.

I think indoors would be huge peace of mind in a Western NY winter storm.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-12-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Keeping the boat inside also gives you a big jump on getting the boat ready in the spring. It's great to be able to do some work while other boats are still covered with snow.