Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: Annapolis Sailboat Show Observations & Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Seems that rain at an outdoor/floating boat show is a good thing!... hard to believe that so many boats had leakage/pooling issues 'brand new'..
Great info here. I agree a rainy sailboat show is a good thing when concerned about water tightness. I will have to look at the gunboat all you making it seem like the best thing out there even if I am not a fan of cats.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

I don't know 1/100 th of what Mainesail knows about boats but the Alerion 41 was my favorite boat at the show as well (I didn't climb on the ores on his list). Hopefully it sells well and then there will be a few on the used market when I'm ready to upgrade to the 'retirement boat'.
Old 10-14-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Just got back from the show, followed by dinner with a high school friend on her Mason 41 in Galesville.

I had been planning to blow off the show and go sailing today, but by 11 am it was clear that the weather was nastier than predicted, so we hopped in the car and drove 2 hours down to Annapolis. The shuttle bus dropped us off around 2 pm, so we had a short day.

The Outbound 46 is an incredible boat. Alerion 41 was very impressive looking, though excessive use of high gloss exterior wood will be real tough to maintain.

We're not planning any ocean passages, so a coastal cruiser for the bay is more our speed. In this regard, Hunter 37 was a very pleasant surprise. They certainly don't compare to the high-end bluewater boats, but as far as production boats go, they appear to have upped their game. David Marlow came up and introduced himself to me, and it is clear he has a lot of pride in this new boat and is determined to upgrade their materials of construction. The boat made a lot of use of real wood veneers on bulkheads (not the melamine fake woodgrain that Bene, Jenn, Hylas, etc. use), so in this respect they're keeping up with Catalina in interior quality. I was very impressed with the amount of storage space down below (2 hanging lockers in each berth area), and the head design was very nice. Cockpit storage seemed to be more limited due to full-width athwartships berth down below, but I did not get a chance to open the lockers by the perch seats, so maybe it was a little better than I realized. My wife really liked the galley storage, though it's not sufficient to provision for offshore. But for a coastal cruiser that re-provisions every several days, they pack a lot of interior space into 37'.

Out of time for now...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 10-14-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 10-14-2013

wavedancer38 is on a distinguished road

We love boats with teak, so the Tartan was one of our favorites. We like a more traditional boat with a lot of solid wood, no veneers. If I hopped on the decl of the Beneteau, I could feel it give. yikes.
Old 10-14-2013

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road

I love boats with teak too, but where I used to see beauty I now only see work. I visited the J-95 (again) which seems to be the perfect boat for me. Wheel, inboard, huge cockpit, nice lines, light air performance; all the things I want in a boat, except for maybe the price......

The show seemed smaller than in past years. I went to the powerboat show last week; it seemed smaller too.
Old 10-15-2013

Missingyou is on a distinguished road

Really didn't spend too much time browsing boats I could not afford. Why feed buyers remorse. Spent most time in the tents. A mixed bag with the vendors.

Simrad- helpful tips on how to recover my radar after a software upgrade, as well as a few other tidbits. Also learned that my NMEA Triducer is only capable of simple depth reading and cannot work for Echo Sounding. It would be nice to visualize depth contours when skirting some of the shallow shoals here on the Chesapeake, and I do like to fish also. I have some rod holders on order. ;-)

Dometic. Not too helpful. Had a dispute over why my AC controller had a hot glue repair holding the back on. They blamed it on the boat builder. Lame since it's clearly a poor design on the retention clips. I did glean some insight from another AC installer as to why my salon unit doesn't hold temp, I need to check the sensor location. It's probably laying against a freon tube.

Pro furl and Facnor have merged. They are pushing the Pro furl Top Down Furler over the Facnor.

Got a decent deal on a Gill OS2, and some Helly Hanson life vests for my nieces.

I really like the new Selden Double Fairleads for the continuos furling lines. The double cam cleat also looks interesting but wish I could try it first.

Didn't get nearly enough time to play with all of the different snatch blocks to make a decision should I decide to buy some.

There was a gentleman doing teak work but I seemed to have lost his card already. I have cockpit table envy. Suddenly my plastic fold down leafs look cheesy.

I met a nice couple who charter out of the Bahamas. They are moving their operation from Nassau (crime) to an island I know well, Eleuthera. I hope to meet them again.

The Neil Pryde guys were helpful in improving my understanding as to why my US Spar Mast is having issues when furling. There might not be anything in the mast to retain the lower most section of luff tape. They gave me a countermeasure.

The tide was really really high today. ;-)

I got a pretty good education on folding/feathering/variable pitch props. I like the concept of the Autoprop, but for strictly a feathering prop the Autosense seems like a potentially better product versus the Maxprop.

I was introduced to the Coast Guard 'Small Vessel Sea Service Form' for logging.

And sales people will always be sales people when it comes to trying to convince you of why their product is better, even if they don't completely understand their product.

Last edited by Missingyou; 10-15-2013 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-15-2013
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road

I scoped out the Mantus Anchors. Light weight they determined I needed a 40 lb anchor. This anchor is huge!! I can't imagine putting that monstrosity on the bow.
Old 10-15-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Mason 44/43 on our short list. I wasn't aware Mason made a 41.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Just got back from the show, followed by dinner with a high school friend on her Mason 41 in Galesville.

I had been planning to blow off the show and go sailing today, but by 11 am it was clear that the weather was nastier than predicted, so we hopped in the car and drove 2 hours down to Annapolis. The shuttle bus dropped us off around 2 pm, so we had a short day.

The Outbound 46 is an incredible boat. Alerion 41 was very impressive looking, though excessive use of high gloss exterior wood will be real tough to maintain.

We're not planning any ocean passages, so a coastal cruiser for the bay is more our speed. In this regard, Hunter 37 was a very pleasant surprise. They certainly don't compare to the high-end bluewater boats, but as far as production boats go, they appear to have upped their game. David Marlow came up and introduced himself to me, and it is clear he has a lot of pride in this new boat and is determined to upgrade their materials of construction. The boat made a lot of use of real wood veneers on bulkheads (not the melamine fake woodgrain that Bene, Jenn, Hylas, etc. use), so in this respect they're keeping up with Catalina in interior quality. I was very impressed with the amount of storage space down below (2 hanging lockers in each berth area), and the head design was very nice. Cockpit storage seemed to be more limited due to full-width athwartships berth down below, but I did not get a chance to open the lockers by the perch seats, so maybe it was a little better than I realized. My wife really liked the galley storage, though it's not sufficient to provision for offshore. But for a coastal cruiser that re-provisions every several days, they pack a lot of interior space into 37'.

Out of time for now...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-15-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I am with you about the teak. Especially in the cabin where it is really not high maintainence at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavedancer38 View Post
We love boats with teak, so the Tartan was one of our favorites. We like a more traditional boat with a lot of solid wood, no veneers. If I hopped on the decl of the Beneteau, I could feel it give. yikes.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-15-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road

This year’s show definitely felt scaled down, especially the number of boats displayed in water. The mid-level European production builders seemed to have maintained or increased their presence while the premium production builders’ presence was diminished or non-existent.

The trade show also seemed to have more non-boating related vendors than ever and some of “usual suspects” must have either sat this one out or gone out of business. I didn't find a lot of great show specials this year and I learned that the “show special” price for one product I considered purchasing was actually higher than average retail. This is the first time we didn't buy a single thing at the show.

I'll also add that now that we're potentially in the market for an upgrade in boats and we let that fact slip to a few brokers it was amazing to see the salesmanship at work as far as trying to convince us to buy their boat, to get us to list ours sooner rather than later, and having an answer for every concern or issue we might have - even if that answer completely glossed over the original concern.

Last edited by 4arch; 10-15-2013 at 07:29 AM.