Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Annapolis Sailboat Show Observations & Notes

I liked the Aileron as well. I've also had an appreciation for the Tartan 4300. I'm not such a fan of the T4000, as it carries the beam all the way aft, twin helm stations and all that jazz.

I really liked the Seaward line of boats. They have some clever tricks, seem very well built, and are attainably priced for the "everyman". It seems that I'll have to retract some of my comments about new boats being priced totally out of reality.

The Seaward line of boats has a very traditional, non-sporty look. I doubt they're very fast, but they look like they would have decent upwind performance. The RK26 anchors the chainplates on top of the cabin, with very strong underpinnings inside the cabin. This gives a very tight sheeting angle. Combined with the modern keel, it should sail upwind nicely. Not sure what the SA to DISP ratio is though.

These boats seem tailor-made for the Chesapeake. The keel is a fully retractable bulb, that is electrically powered. You can dial the keel and rudder in at any depth, from 6 inches to 6.6 feet.

The 26 had an enclosed head and shower, and the cockpit was very roomy considering that it was wheel equipped. I think if I bought one, I'd ask for a tiller though.

I bought some boat-bits-

Garhauer vang, cabin lighting LED's, a Clamptite tool, name graphics for the stern, and I scored $380 worth of instruments for $145 at the Weems & Plath tent sale. I'm getting a tiller pilot, but at a better discount than anything the boatshow could provide.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Garhauer Davits, lots of 2x blocks to re-lead my continuous furling line through, a IR camera and a bathtub full of pain killers.

Didn't step on a single boat.
Old 10-15-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Mason 44/43 on our short list. I wasn't aware Mason made a 41.
It might be a 43 or 44. I tried to look it up on the USCG Doc registry, but it's a victim of the govt shutdown right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 10-15-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

We went with our boys, and we were almost the exact opposite of Chuck - we were aboard 15-20 boats, and barely saw any of the vendor tents. I went with a specific shopping list, but only got 1 of the things on the list (refill for Kanberra). I'll have to order everything else online.

I was struck by a few things:
* How many boats require that you stand while steering. High foredecks/doghouses made it really tough for my wife to see forward unless she was standing.
* How nice center cockpit boats are, both because of the cabin layout and the visibility.
* How nice it would be to have a dedicated shower.
* How much bigger I'd have to go to get a dedicated shower.
* Build quality issues and leaks on even brand-new boats.
* Seaward's 46RK would be a great boat for us if we hit the lottery, in part because they address many of the issues above, though sometimes from a very different perspective. The pilot's station inside the cabin is a neat idea; the boat is like a cross between a conventional aft-cabin and a pilothouse. I really liked it a lot.

In the end, the thing that made me happiest was that I didn't see a boat there that was a better fit for our needs than our current boat. Yes, the 46RK would be great, but it's more boat than we need for 3-4 hour sails on the bay.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-15-2013

sailpower is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
* How nice it would be to have a dedicated shower.
* How much bigger I'd have to go to get a dedicated shower.
Pearson 365/7 from 1976-1983 has a great dedicated shower.
jimgo and TJC45 like this.
Old 10-15-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Uh, the 26RK also had a dedicated shower.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-15-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

I didn't make this year's show. Still, some thoughts based on many years of attending this show:

I concur! Pussers is usally one of the best stops to make!

For those who thought the show seemed scaled down - possible! The industry is still in recession. Exibitors have to make a financial cost/benefit decision. For those past exibitors, not getting on the right side of that equation over the past few years could have been a deal breaker.

New boats that leak, squeak and have parts falling off - generally, wouldn't go too tough here. yes there is no excuse, but then again most complicated products have a similar quality level. Stuff happens! More so when that stuff has to be transported hundreds or even thousands of miles for display.

Designs that aren't very salt worthy. Sail boat design took a turn years ago that put creature comfort ahead of the prime directive - sailing ability. Wide wider and wider still boats. The new new thing is big windows. Big windows and big waves don't play nice together. And, the corrosive environment these boats are used in probably is not going to play well with the materials or adhesives used for installation. it's one thing when you've got a minor window leak on the coach, it's another when it's your hull that's leaking.

To those who went glad you had a good time! Classic plastic looking beter and better!

Last edited by TJC45; 10-15-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-15-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

We're gonna try and go to this show next year. Stictly Sail Chicago is our annual show, but doesn't have the same appeal because of its smaller size, mid-winter Midwest winters, and no in-the-water boats.

Sounds like the rainy weather for this year's Annapolis show provided some good test conditions for folks like MaineSail to spot leaks, puddles, etc.

Old 10-15-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Uh, the 26RK also had a dedicated shower.
We didn't go on the 26. In looking at the pictures on their site, though, I'm not sure I'd quite call that a "dedicated" shower. It's right in the entryway! You'd still have to wipe down the floor.

That's not a knock on them, by any stretch. I understand the space issues, and the 26's solution isn't bad. But, much like the head in the aft cabin of the 46, it's just not quite what I'd like if the boat was something I'd be spending a LOT of time aboard.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 10-15-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
It might be a 43 or 44. I tried to look it up on the USCG Doc registry, but it's a victim of the govt shutdown right now.
was the companionway in the middle (44) or off to the side (43). 43 is my favorite boat. It wasnt a dark green one named Tortuga was it?

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner