Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Annapolis Sailboat Show Observations & Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Garhauer Davits, lots of 2x blocks to re-lead my continuous furling line through, a IR camera and a bathtub full of pain killers.

Didn't step on a single boat.
We have the 1"1/4" Garhauer Davits and love them
T37Chef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
was the companionway in the middle (44) or off to the side (43). 43 is my favorite boat. It wasnt a dark green one named Tortuga was it?
Companionway on the starboard side. The hull is white or maybe cream. The boat was recently renamed Firefly, docked at Pirates Cove.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 10-15-2013

sailvayu is on a distinguished road

I spent 3 days at the show and here are some of my initial thoughts:
The boats seemed to come in 3 classes
Catamarans
Signal hulled catamarans
Traditional monos

The cats were all interesting but I just do not like the light weight construction. The floors creaked and I am not a fan of the Euro styling myself but it may work for others. I just do not like the hard cold feel to the interiors. I understand the reasons for this construction and in some cases the engineering is impressive but just not my style. The room and layouts were nice though. I like the trend to the forward cockpit I think this will be the coming thing with the cats in the future.

Some of the builders are taking the cat interiors and doing the same thing to a wide hard chine mono. I really do not like this look and I think these boats will be uncomfortable at sea due to the flat sections. That said I have not sailed one yet so this is just an opinion. Nice to have all that room but I really question how these boats will be at sea. These and the cats seem to be primarily designed for the charter trade and for that they look great. They look like they would do well for day island hoping and nighttime partying. Large cockpits and good interior volume make for a good charter boat.

The traditional boats were nice. Almost all the boats had the teak replaced with cherry which is a good replacement. Some of the Euro built boats had African mahogany or teak. Prices were high but quality seemed good for the most part. Once again many lacked good sea cabins of sea berths. I saw some that had under counter refrigerators that opened only on the side port and starboard making them useless on one tack. Most had no berths that could be used at sea and few had good galleys for underway use. There were exceptions though and in general I really liked the Tartans. Of course the really high end like the Hylas were very nice.

Interesting to see the transoms with fold down swim platforms and steps. A nice transition from the scoop transom. These will greatly improve boarding from a dinghy.

The newer helms were nice as well allowing clean installations for chart plotters and such.

Not a lot new in gear but I did not look much at electronics in general. Some interesting new safety gear though.

I was put off by the number of salesmen and brokers that seemed more interested in their cell phones than the shopper. Many would not even look up as people came on the boats or into their booth. Some were downright rude when I asked questions. I have seen this at other shows but it seemed really bad this year. I hope sales are that good that they can treat shoppers with such distain. There were however many that were a pleasure to talk to so it is not all bad just surprised me how many acted like they really did not want to be there or could not be bothered.

Old 10-15-2013

jeremiahblatz is on a distinguished road

I've only been sailing for a year, and didn't want ot buy anything, but I went down for a laugh. For engineer_sailor, the gunboat 60 is very nice inside, spacious cabins, teak with carbon fiber accents. Very euro and light feeling.

There weren't a lot of smaler boats there, but I really liked the look of the Tartan Fantail. Of course I just looked up the price >.<
Old 10-15-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

I went to buy some Garhauer gear and talk to the Harken and RayMarine reps. Harken still has parts for my 30 year old traveler car!
Went on boats in Miami in February, so I did not go aboard this time. Loved the Hylas 46. Thought the Benes were really cheap looking inside. The Catalinas had the best cockpit. The Jenneaus cut too many corners and I'm a single head kind of guy. Tartans were nice, but pricey, and the cockpit table was ugly. All in all, I felt good about spending a few bucks to have my boat compounded and waxed!
Old 10-15-2013

jppp is on a distinguished road

Boy was I excited when I handed over the deposit check for the Blue Jacket. We seemed to spend hours going over option after option.....then I woke up on my cousin's couch and went to Chick & Ruth's for breakfast.
Yamsailor likes this.
Angler 204 Cuddy-, Crushed in Hurricane Sandy
Yes all true, No wonder no one will go on the water with me.
Old 10-15-2013

jppp is on a distinguished road

I did get to look at a boat I was interested in. But it was down the road in a yard on the hard. Needs the rudder post and bearings reworked and cutlass bearing should have been changed 2 years ago. Water seeping out from bottom of mast and obvious signs of leakage around chain plates. Gotta love this forum. Without it I would have looked at this boat with ignorant bliss.
jimgo likes this.
Angler 204 Cuddy-, Crushed in Hurricane Sandy
Yes all true, No wonder no one will go on the water with me.
Old 10-15-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
I was put off by the number of salesmen and brokers that seemed more interested in their cell phones than the shopper. Many would not even look up as people came on the boats or into their booth. Some were downright rude when I asked questions. I have seen this at other shows but it seemed really bad this year. I hope sales are that good that they can treat shoppers with such distain. There were however many that were a pleasure to talk to so it is not all bad just surprised me how many acted like they really did not want to be there or could not be bothered.
Agreed.

We finally bought a Sailrite sewing machine, bout time! Met the owner and had some great conversation, we even discussed reopening a shop in Annapolis. We managed to get only 5 samples of Kanberra and one sample spray (Score ), I also purchased our annual 22 oz refil at the bargain price of $88 (Its great stuff, but damn $$). Spoke to the folks at Sail Care about how they mucked up my batten pockets again, they offered to fix it but I declined. Decided the Sea Frost BDX is the refer we'll be purchasing and installing sometime this off season, looking forward to not having to schlep ice around! Stopped by Beta Engines and thanked Stanley for the tickets to the show and chatted with the mechanic who assisted me with the engine install.

We didn't board many boats nor did we really inspect them in any great detail but did observe many short comings, often on some very pricey boats.

I find the Seaward 46 an odd but interesting design. The interior is just weird, cant exactly put my finger on what I like and dislike. I noted the sole has so many different levels that moving around that boat at sea would seem very dangerous? The cabinetry seems so much like an afterthought with the way they're installed, it doesn't flow and has a chopped up look.

The Tartans showed well this year, I believe that's because they seem to be one of the few there that incorporate innovation with that classic look/feel. The solid wood interiors were attractive after seeing so much veneers. I had never been aboard the 4100, nice yacht

After reading this thread I wish I had gone on the Blue Jacket, Alerion, and Outbound. Was Hallberg Rassy there?

Overall there was really nothing I would be willing to pay the money they want for these boats, even if I had it. Without a detailed knowledge of the boat itself, I would say the Catalina 440 is the best buy at the show for my taste and likes, but dollar for dollar I am still buying a older design of better quality...a refit Bristol, Mason, Hans Christian, HR, Malo, etc...

The best part of the show for me, getting the opportunity to meet Maine Sail and thank him personally for all he has contributed to this and other forums, and all he has so generously helped me with time and time again. RC, great being able to chat and talk more than just boats, cheers.

BTW...not only did we get in with complimentary tickets, but I scored a free parking spot within 5 minute walk

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 10-15-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
The best part of the show for me, getting the opportunity to meet Maine Sail and thank him personally for all he has contributed to this and other forums, and all he has so generously helped me with time and time again. RC, great being able to chat and talk more than just boats, cheers.

BTW...not only did we get in with complimentary tickets, but I scored a free parking spot within 5 minute walk
Chef,

Actually the pleasure was mine, after all you and your wife were buying...

Seriously, we need to get together again we think a lot alike.. There are great folks on these forums and they'e not just "cyber dudes" but real people who are really nice....

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-15-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Mason 44/43 on our short list. I wasn't aware Mason made a 41.
I found it on sailboatdata.com. Her boat is a Mason 44, mid '90s vintage, with the companionway on the starboard side.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.