Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Re: Annapolis Sailboat Show Observations & Notes

Agree with jimgo about helms.
One 50' boat labeled "cruiser" had the big drop down transom and twin wheels. No place to sit at the helm except on the 6" wide edge of the transom. Fine for racing maybe but cruising? Similar setup on quite a few boats.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Agree with jimgo about helms.
One 50' boat labeled "cruiser" had the big drop down transom and twin wheels. No place to sit at the helm except on the 6" wide edge of the transom. Fine for racing maybe but cruising? Similar setup on quite a few boats.
Are you sure this boat didn't have a bench insert that goes in front of the drop down transom? Seems hard to believe that they wouldn't have that stowed away somewhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 10-15-2013

Dog8It is on a distinguished road

Just out of curiosity visited a number of boats: Bavaria Vision 42, Catalina 385, Beneteau Oceanis 41, Jeanneau 409, Contest 42CS, Tartan 4000. I also admired from afar Amel, Oyster, Swan, Outbound, Hylas (no need to board any of those until I win the lottery). Surprisingly, the only one that really looked appealing to me (that is if I was in the market for a decent coastal / close to shore boat) was Catalina. I liked the cockpit layout, good access from the dinghy / water, decent access to winches if single-handing, throttle lever that can be reached while standing & steering.

One observation of interest was a proliferation of modern (usually European boats) with folding down transoms that usually are at least 1-2 feet above water when they are lowered. How does one got on the boat from the dinghy ? Or are the boats made primarily for the marina living and boarding from dinghy is not usually an area of concern ? (Not to mention lifelines that are usually a foot or two high and do not appear to serve any purpose).

Overall, any time I get to walk around a bunch of new boats is a good day in my book. If nothing else, makes me feel so much better about my boat and how lucky I am to have something that gets me out on the water.

Doolittle

Com-Pac 35

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.
Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 10-15-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog8It View Post
...One observation of interest was a proliferation of modern (usually European boats) with folding down transoms that usually are at least 1-2 feet above water when they are lowered. How does one got on the boat from the dinghy ?
I chartered a Jenneau with drop-down transom last January in BVI. The height was even with the top of the inflatable dinghy. It wasn't too difficult to get in/out, as long as you didn't have too many painkillers before returning to the boat.
jimgo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 10-16-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Agreed.

We finally bought a Sailrite sewing machine, bout time!

I find the Seaward 46 an odd but interesting design.

The Tartans showed well this year, I believe that's because they seem to be one of the few there that incorporate innovation with that classic look/feel. The solid wood interiors were attractive after seeing so much veneers. I had never been aboard the 4100, nice yacht

After reading this thread I wish I had gone on the Blue Jacket, Alerion, and Outbound. Was Hallberg Rassy there?

SailRite machine: Damn you.

Seaward:
I also wasn't a fan of the RK46 but the smaller models were nice.

Yes, Hallberg-Rassy was there, with a 40' center cockpit. I liked it because it didn't look like a wedding cake. No matter what modern innovations have been incorporated, a teak deck is still a LOT of maintenance. The word that pops into my brain when I was on the HR40 was "confidence". Those things are built to withstand a direct, nuclear strike.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-16-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
As one who works on boats every day I tend to look beyond the superfluous skin deep spit shine.

I saw some excellent craftsmanship and some stuff I just shake my head at.

* 7 figure boats with water puddling issues on deck, one of them right over the fuel fill.

* 6 & 7 figure boats with deck leaks (one had a puddle under the v- berth mattress)
Never considered the advantage of attending a boat show when it's raining...
Old 10-16-2013

Missingyou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post

We finally bought a Sailrite sewing machine, bout time! Met the owner and had some great conversation, we even discussed reopening a shop in Annapolis.
I've been considering purchasing one as a winter project. I need a cover for my cockpit table and then want to tackle a full boat cover. They had a DVD. I'm curious as to how many others have ventured into this.
Old 10-16-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Sent you a PM Missingyou

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 10-16-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-16-2013

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingyou View Post
There was a gentleman doing teak work but I seemed to have lost his card already. I have cockpit table envy. Suddenly my plastic fold down leafs look cheesy.
If it was an older fellow from Connecticut, he was probably from Teakflex Products, Teakflex,teak,wood,tables,cockpit,pedestal .

I talked to him as well about my cabin sole project. Looked like good stuff and his teak strips were about 1/8" thick, which is not bad these days.

-Argyle
Downeaster 38 #40

Old 10-16-2013

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road

Spent Saturday and Sunday at the show. First time doing the show proper.

Had a busy schedule with vendors so we didn't get much of a chance to go aboard a lot of boats. Niether me nor my wife are particular fans of modern Euro-styled boats so we didn't bother too much there. I did want her to take a look at some modern cruisers so we boarded the HR that was there. Clearly a well built boat but Mrs. Argyle wasn't too impressed with the interior. She loved the Gozzards however. They seem to be well built boats as well and the way they lay it out so your V-berth is you sitting area at anchor makes a lot of sense. It also had the largest galley we'd ever seen on a ~40' boat.

Also checked the Tartan 101, which happened to be owned by a guy I used to race against back in Cleveland. Small world. Looks like a great boat for racing.

Otherwise, I spent most of the time tracking down various vendors and seeing what deals they had.

I put a deposit down on some sails form Neil Pryde. The office is in Milford and the sail designer races in my club so I already had the boat measured and an initial quote in hand. Got 25% off by putting down the deposit during the show! Really looking forward to new sails. Still have the original canvas on my 1975 Downeaster.

Bought a new anchor. A Manson Boss 45 to replace my CQR 45. It's one of the few new style anchors that will fit on my bowsprit. Was told by the Mantus guy how my Manson boss was going to promptly kill me by dragging me into the rocks... (never ends does it...)

Bought a new Icom SSB from "the GPS store". The had a great deal on the unit. Wasn't sure I was going to buy that but couldn't pass up the deal. The mast is coming down this year and the backstay is getting replaced, so now is a good time as any I guess.

Got a great deal on a Henry Lloyd jacket, less of a great deal (but still not bad) on a new set of Musto foulies. Always wanted a set of those and my old Gill stuff is falling apart now.

It was great meeting some Sailnetters there as well. MainSail, Chuckles, Chef, had a great time chatting with you guys at Pussers. Chris and Ed from S/V Freedom, don't remember if you are on SN or not, but if you are... Go Buckeyes!!!
Downeaster 38 #40