Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road
Re: Annapolis Sailboat Show Observations & Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingyou View Post
I've been considering purchasing one as a winter project. I need a cover for my cockpit table and then want to tackle a full boat cover. They had a DVD. I'm curious as to how many others have ventured into this.
I stopped by the Sailrite booth too to look at the items hanging on the back wall. I was asked if I had any questions and I just mentioned I already bought a machine, just haven't used it yet. I was told about the videos on YouTube which I was already subscribed to and have some ideas from there.

I did get 3/8" basting tape.

Quote:
“When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.” — Dr. Samuel Johnson
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
Spent Saturday and Sunday at the show. First time doing the show proper. (Snip)

Bought a new anchor. A Manson Boss 45 to replace my CQR 45. It's one of the few new style anchors that will fit on my bowsprit. Was told by the Mantus guy how my Manson boss was going to promptly kill me by dragging me into the rocks... (never ends does it...)

(Snip)
You have got to be kidding. I know competition is fierce in business, but that's really an outrageous claim.

I've been jonesing for a new anchor as well, and the Boss was recommended to me by a well known world cruiser. I like the anchor, but I was stunned by it's huge size compared to the Supreme model of the same weight. I love the wide surface area of the Boss, which I consider an asset when anchoring in soup.

I simply do not have the room to stow a Boss anchor, so I guess it's the Manson Supreme for me.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-16-2013

Missingyou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If it was an older fellow from Connecticut, he was probably from Teakflex Products, Teakflex,teak,wood,tables,cockpit,pedestal .

I talked to him as well about my cabin sole project. Looked like good stuff and his teak strips were about 1/8" thick, which is not bad these days.

-Argyle
Thankss!! Sounds like the same fellow.
Old 10-16-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Was told by the Mantus guy how my Manson boss was going to promptly kill me by dragging me into the rocks... (never ends does it...)
This is why I barely considered a Mantus anchor when shopping. The owner of Mantus makes pretty silly claims on forums like this one as well.

I like my Manson Supreme. Just don't be fooled into using the rock slot for anything but a secondary retrieval line and float. That slot is dangerous when used with the primary rode.
chef2sail and Argyle38 like this.
Old 10-16-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
This is why I barely considered a Mantus anchor when shopping. The owner of Mantus makes pretty silly claims on forums like this one as well.

I like my Manson Supreme. Just don't be fooled into using the rock slot for anything but a secondary retrieval line and float. That slot is dangerous when used with the primary rode.
Why?
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-16-2013

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
You have got to be kidding. I know competition is fierce in business, but that's really an outrageous claim.

I've been jonesing for a new anchor as well, and the Boss was recommended to me by a well known world cruiser. I like the anchor, but I was stunned by it's huge size compared to the Supreme model of the same weight. I love the wide surface area of the Boss, which I consider an asset when anchoring in soup.

I simply do not have the room to stow a Boss anchor, so I guess it's the Manson Supreme for me.
I'm being a bit facetious but that was the gist of it. They basically had some videos up showing how the boss would never set (of course their models all set quickly). Then he had a mantus and a manson boss sitting next to each other on a table and was trying to demonstrate how the mantus would not flip over on it's back (even without the roll bar) while the manson did. Until he tapped the side of the mantus and it rolled over on to it's back.

I did buy one of those chain hooks that mantus sells, they look like a good design.

The reason that the slot is dangerous when used with the primary rode is if the wind or current shift and you ride up over to the other side of the anchor from where you initially set, the rode will now slide up to the point on the anchor designed remove the anchor from the ground below. This feature is only good for a short term anchoring in know-to-be foul areas or in areas with very consistent wind and/or currents, and also foul bottoms. I might end up drilling out a new hole in the shank, directly below the slot for my chain shackle, if the slot becomes a problem.
Downeaster 38 #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-16-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

We went Saturday and Sunday. The show is definitely smaller the past few years. The good thing about the rain is most of the stroller crowd stayed home.

I picked up a new solar fan and some misc parts from Defender, Froli kits for our v-berth and aft-berth, some nautical jewelry for the wife, some discounted boat shoes, grab rails for the dodger and some odds and ends.

The Garmin guys gave me a fix for an intermittent NMEA 2000 glitch.

I spent a fair bit of time with the parts folks from Catalina and the guys in the Selden booth. Catalina is selling a kit with a retractable sprit, and removable Doyle APS gennaker and furler. After I got all my questions answered the wife looked at me and said "we're getting it", so I think I just added another winter project to the list. I'll take measurements this weekend. I get to do the install and she gets to pick the colors for the sail

We did look at some boats with the idea that we're eventually going to something in the 38-42 range; but the more we upgrade our boat the further down the road that seems.

A conclusion we've come to is that we like aft cockpit boats over center cockpits. The center cockpits offer more space below, but living on a boat for days at a time it's amazing how many times you're up and down that damn ladder - especially when sailing and you're making snacks, sandwiches, grabbing drinks from the fridge...

For me the aft cockpit just seems to work better.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 10-16-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
That slot is dangerous when used with the primary rode
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Why?
If there is a wind or current shift you will drag the anchor backwards instead of having it reset. The anchor is not at all effective when used backwards.

We learned this the hard way soon after getting the anchor. My first and second anchor drag experiences were with it, after setting the anchor well. I hadn't really thought of how that slot worked until that experience.

It might be okay for very short stays, but I don't trust it one bit.
Old 10-16-2013

mstern is on a distinguished road

I've been to the Miami and Newport shows many times, but never the Annapolis show. Whenever I've mentioned it to the Admiral, she sort of scoffs as she has no intention of driving five hours to a boat show.

Anyway, my son now attends the University of Maryland, and this past weekend was Family Weekend. So my wife went down on Friday, and I followed on Saturday. When I spoke with her from the train on my way down, she said that she and my son had driven over to Annapolis from College Park to go to the big mall there. "Annapolis!", I practically shout, "the Boat Show is going on now!" "I can't believe you went to Annapolis during Boat Show without me!" Anyway, you can guess the rest of the story; we of course never made it to the show for the rest of the weekend. Sigh. And I am especially jealous because I couldn't make my annual trip to Newport this year because of a family wedding that weekend. I'm not complaining (really, I'm not; I'd rather see my son or watch my niece get married than go to a boat show), but I do really want to get to the Annapolis show at some point.
Old 10-16-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

Argyle
Do you need directions to Columbus, again?
X