Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Annapolis Sailboat Show Observations & Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
I've been to the Miami and Newport shows many times, but never the Annapolis show. Whenever I've mentioned it to the Admiral, she sort of scoffs as she has no intention of driving five hours to a boat show.

Anyway, my son now attends the University of Maryland, and this past weekend was Family Weekend. So my wife went down on Friday, and I followed on Saturday. When I spoke with her from the train on my way down, she said that she and my son had driven over to Annapolis from College Park to go to the big mall there. "Annapolis!", I practically shout, "the Boat Show is going on now!" "I can't believe you went to Annapolis during Boat Show without me!" Anyway, you can guess the rest of the story; we of course never made it to the show for the rest of the weekend. Sigh. And I am especially jealous because I couldn't make my annual trip to Newport this year because of a family wedding that weekend. I'm not complaining (really, I'm not; I'd rather see my son or watch my niece get married than go to a boat show), but I do really want to get to the Annapolis show at some point.
I guess you have to grab every opportunity you can to go to the shopping mall. . My condolences.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2013

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road

How about Chris White Designed baby....
Atlantc 47 , she was there too!
Attached Thumbnails
Annapolis Sailboat Show Observations & Notes-chris-white-catamaran.jpg  
Old 10-16-2013

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road

Thank you all who dropped by the booth at the show
Old 10-16-2013

mstern is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I guess you have to grab every opportunity you can to go to the shopping mall. . My condolences.
I didn't have to go to the mall; they went there while I was on the train making my way south. They came back to College Park to meet me. My son is like me: he doesn't care much for shopping, but he realizes that the weather is getting colder and he needs more than shorts and flip flops. Smart boy that he is, he takes the opportunity to have Mom pay for his clothes.
Old 10-16-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road

Iím not as down on the mid-level production monohulls, European or otherwise, as many of the posters on this thread. Apparently neither is most of the boat buying public considering their presence at the show and some recent changes in the dealer landscape. The longtime Island Packet dealer in Rock Hall is gone and the Pacific Seacraft dealer in Annapolis recently picked up Hanse/Dehler and brought four of those to the show this year in lieu of any PS. While a lot of the criticisms of mid-level production boats are accurate and fair, much of the negativity seems to be based on expectations these boats do not and were not ever intended to live up to. In truth, these boats meet the needs of 90%+ of the big boat sailors out there and are actually quite good for doing a much wider range of cruising than many people give them credit for. Yes, they have their idiosyncrasies but they represent reasonable compromises for a lot of people.

To the issue of woods, veneers, and laminates - in a world where teak and other hardwoods are easily $20-30 per board foot itís not surprising to see a lack of solid woods on boats not in the upper end of the price and quality spectrum. Maybe at one time mid-level buyers valued finish level more, but that was also a time when it wasn't expected that the average boat would come with refrigeration, electronics, canvas, huge battery banks, shore power, electric windlasses, etc. Something has to give. Personally, as much as I love looking at boats with lots of beautifully crafted solid hardwoods inside and out, I have less than zero interest in maintaining exterior teak and have major concerns over the sustainability of tropical hardwood harvesting. Veneers and laminates are certainly not ideal but they can significantly reduce a boatís cost and environmental footprint and, when properly designed and engineered, will look reasonably attractive and hold up reasonably well. Compromises!

As for the Sailrite machine, I donít have one myself but have access to a friendís machine and used it last winter to make a new bimini skin. Before doing that I started with smaller pieces. The bimini project was frustrating at times but I took things slowly and wasn't afraid to backtrack from mistakes. It turned out better than I expected though there are a few things I might change if I could do it over again and that I might alter as time goes on. One of the most challenging aspects was managing large amounts of fabric under the arm of the machine while keeping stitching straight. I wasn't up to the challenge of making a dodger from scratch though might consider it if replicating an existing dodger skin. For me the one caveat about the whole thing is that although I was able to do a good job, as an amateur I'll probably never know and master all the tips and tricks of the people who do canvas work day in day out.
PCP, Faster and T37Chef like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4arch For This Useful Post:
Missingyou (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013

BCC1 is on a distinguished road

We sail the Chesapeake and a big trip is to the LIS. We look at boats we could conceivably afford that are designed for our purpose. We stay off the Gozzards, Oysters et al.

I actually am impressed with many of the production boats we looked at. Beneteau 41, 45, 48 & Jeanneau 469 were favorites. Well designed coastal cruisers and I thought the fit and finish was excellent for the price point.

OK, I went on the Seward 46RK. Twice. If I could, I would. Yep. Pushed my buttons.
jimgo likes this.
Old 10-16-2013

Missingyou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Iím not as down on the mid-level production monohulls, European or otherwise, as many of the posters on this thread. Apparently neither is most of the boat buying public considering their presence at the show and some recent changes in the dealer landscape. The longtime Island Packet dealer in Rock Hall is gone and the Pacific Seacraft dealer in Annapolis recently picked up Hanse/Dehler and brought four of those to the show this year in lieu of any PS. While a lot of the criticisms of mid-level production boats are accurate and fair, much of the negativity seems to be based on expectations these boats do not and were not ever intended to live up to. In truth, these boats meet the needs of 90%+ of the big boat sailors out there and are actually quite good for doing a much wider range of cruising than many people give them credit for. Yes, they have their idiosyncrasies but they represent reasonable compromises for a lot of people.

To the issue of woods, veneers, and laminates - in a world where teak and other hardwoods are easily $20-30 per board foot itís not surprising to see a lack of solid woods on boats not in the upper end of the price and quality spectrum. Maybe at one time mid-level buyers valued finish level more, but that was also a time when it wasn't expected that the average boat would come with refrigeration, electronics, canvas, huge battery banks, shore power, electric windlasses, etc. Something has to give. Personally, as much as I love looking at boats with lots of beautifully crafted solid hardwoods inside and out, I have less than zero interest in maintaining exterior teak and have major concerns over the sustainability of tropical hardwood harvesting. Veneers and laminates are certainly not ideal but they can significantly reduce a boatís cost and environmental footprint and, when properly designed and engineered, will look reasonably attractive and hold up reasonably well. Compromises!
Agreed. It's like going to a car show and drooling over the wood and leather in a Bentley or the engineering in the new 7 Series Beemer, but most of us walk back to the parking lot and climb into our mass produced Toyotas and Hondas. It's what we can afford, complete with their fake wood trim and mouse fur headliners. I wish my Beneteau had at least real wood veneer or that there were not exposed screws in the sole, but the value proposition is just too compelling. I don't think it's going to get any better either.
4arch likes this.
Old 10-16-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

I boarded an Oyster 50'er. The cabinetry was mostly trimmed with wood veneer tape!
Old 10-17-2013

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Argyle
Do you need directions to Columbus, again?
X
I'll just follow the smell of victory.

I bookmarked your blog. Pretty cool, and nice boat. Are you still in Annapolis?
Downeaster 38 #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-17-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Modern boats are also lighter and generally sail better than older boats. Keeping the weight down is today a major concern of any designer or shipyard. Those beautiful solid craft hardwood weight many times more than a top quality synthetic material. It is not only a question of money, top European brands that make very expensive cruisers don't use solid wood for money reasons but for weight reasons.

I found funny that while the Americans are not much on the teak decks but are still much in the hardwood solid wood interior, many Europeans like teak decks while a solid hood interior has become out of fashion.

Regards

Paulo
Faster and 4arch like this.