Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: Annapolis Sailboat Show Observations & Notes

The veneers/laminates make sense for many reasons, I get that. Problem is they often look cheap, repair/refinishing is not possible or expensive. Also, how are those veneers going to look in 30 years? The Tartans for example, their solid hardwoods add a note of luxury IMO, mostly made of cherry if I am not mistaken.

I am not a fan of the Clorox bottle look, or no exterior wood or contrast at all. The Catalina 440 I mentioned earlier is bla looking. Do they offer some wood accents? They should if the buyer wanted to add it. White hull and white decks, some contrast would go a long way.
4arch and wavedancer38 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2013

wavedancer38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Keeping the weight down is today a major concern of any designer or shipyard. Those beautiful solid craft hardwood weight many times more than a top quality synthetic material. It is not only a question of money, top European brands that make very expensive cruisers don't use solid wood for money reasons but for weight reasons.

I found funny that while the Americans are not much on the teak decks but are still much in the hardwood solid wood interior, many Europeans like teak decks while a solid hood interior has become out of fashion.

Regards

Paulo
The heavier the boat,with more ballast, the harder it is to move in rough seas. Lighter boats will get tossed around like a feather. So you might go faster in lighter seas, but a heavier boat with a larger keel is more comfortable in heavy seas. Choose your poison.
Old 10-17-2013

wavedancer38 is on a distinguished road

Overall, we felt there were so many more catamarans this year, than other years. Especially with the Vacation Basin. I would like to see some non production boats nots be weeded out by the Beneteaus and such. We need to make sure the smaller boat manufacturers are not pushed out.
Old 10-17-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
I'll just follow the smell of victory.

I bookmarked your blog. Pretty cool, and nice boat. Are you still in Annapolis?
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like...victory. Hail to; ah, never mind.

Thanks, got underweigh south this am
Old 10-17-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

I have lots of friends with modern prod boats. They always admire the solid feel of our boat underweigh and stuff like solid stanchions. We can do 6+ knots in 9 knots, 60d true. That is a livaboard stuffed to the gills, 135 and a furling main. If you're a speed freak,, strip it all out. But for cruising? Will that 1/3 knot make that much difference?
Old 10-17-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavedancer38 View Post
The heavier the boat,with more ballast, the harder it is to move in rough seas. Lighter boats will get tossed around like a feather. So you might go faster in lighter seas, but a heavier boat with a larger keel is more comfortable in heavy seas. Choose your poison.
A light fast modern boat well designed with an adequate ballast on a torpedo keel on the end of a foil with a considerable draft will not be tossed around in bad weather in big waves and big winds. It has all to do with power. The fast boat will be a much more powerful boat and will be able to put that power on the water. That will give it a powerful drive, exactly the opposite of being tossed around.

In what regards comfort I agree with you, for each its poison, on a slow heavy boat, a lot of motion but a slow one, on a fast boat less ample motion but faster and more violent (due to the speed).

Regards

Paulo
Dog8It and 4arch like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-18-2013

engineer_sailor is on a distinguished road
Annapolis Sailboat Show Observations & Notes

I recall someone asking if Hallberg Rassey was at the show. HR had a single boat tucked away and not a big presence. It was an HR40 that was being sold by a broker. Unlike any other boat I saw, they had the engine access open. HR clearly thinks about repair underway. No need to remove the companionway stairs and you could climb in and around the engine and reach other critical fittings. All the equipment looked top notch down to the solid bronze through hulls. They were pushing/selling their aft cockpit 41.

Teak decks were nice but the thought of thousands of screw holes and/or glue killed some of the joy of walking on the teak deck barefoot in the rain.

Josh
The Following User Says Thank You to engineer_sailor For This Useful Post:
T37Chef (10-18-2013)
Old 10-18-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_sailor View Post

Teak decks were nice but the thought of thousands of screw holes and/or glue killed some of the joy of walking on the teak deck barefoot in the rain.

Josh
No need to worry about screw holes, I don't think any builders fasten their teak decks mechanically any more...
Old 10-18-2013
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road

I think it all boils down to a few items:

1) What type of sailing are you going to do (i.e., Racing, Coastal Cruising, Blue Water, Day Sailing)?

2) How much free time do you have on hand (i.e., Size of Boat, Wood Work, Maintenance)?

3) How much money do you have?

The Tartan interiors are gorgeous, but can you afford it?

Does one need a big heavy boat when coastal cruising?

The production boats do have a Chlorox bottle look--so what? What is the alternative if one has a limited budget? Would you prefer people to not sail or be involved with the lifestyle because they can't afford a Tartan, Sabre or some other high end boat?
4arch likes this.
Old 10-18-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamsailor View Post
The production boats do have a Chlorox bottle look--so what? What is the alternative if one has a limited budget? Would you prefer people to not sail or be involved with the lifestyle because they can't afford a Tartan, Sabre or some other high end boat?
Not at all what I was saying. After what I saw at the show, this year and recently, I would be more inclined to spend my $$ on an older used "Tartan, Sabre or some other high end boat" of equivalent cost then a new Clorox bottle.

Photo by Joe McCary