Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2013
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Annapolis Sailboat Show Observations & Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Not at all what I was saying. After what I saw at the show, this year and recently, I would be more inclined to spend my $$ on an older used "Tartan, Sabre or some other high end boat" of equivalent cost then a new Clorox bottle.

If one is in an all cash position then I tend to agree with you. However if one has to finance, it is a lot easier to get financing for new or newer boat than something that is more than 10 years old.

More often than not, people need to finance the boats.
4arch likes this.
Old 10-18-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamsailor View Post
I think it all boils down to a few items:

1) What type of sailing are you going to do (i.e., Racing, Coastal Cruising, Blue Water, Day Sailing)?

2) How much free time do you have on hand (i.e., Size of Boat, Wood Work, Maintenance)?

3) How much money do you have?

The Tartan interiors are gorgeous, but can you afford it?

Does one need a big heavy boat when coastal cruising?

The production boats do have a Chlorox bottle look--so what? What is the alternative if one has a limited budget? Would you prefer people to not sail or be involved with the lifestyle because they can't afford a Tartan, Sabre or some other high end boat?
I think you should start wit this one

3) How much money do you have?

The rest is depending on it. Any boat is better than no boat

Regards

Paulo
Yamsailor and 4arch like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2013
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor

I think there needs to be more boats that people like me can afford! Dont get me wrong i love to see the Massive catamrans and i know i can sail the Hell out of them! But really i cant afford that now and probally ever! the one i loved was the Outremer 5X it was accross from the Gun Boat! Other then that there were alot of cats, i do believe i didnt see all boats! Had to go vender shopping!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
Old 10-18-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Not at all what I was saying. After what I saw at the show, this year and recently, I would be more inclined to spend my $$ on an older used "Tartan, Sabre or some other high end boat" of equivalent cost then a new Clorox bottle.
I don't disagree with you in principle but in our shopping we're finding the older the boat, the more likely it is to have age and deferred maintenance related issues no matter what the initial build quality and we're not looking for a project. A lot of the component parts like sails, deck hardware, canvas, wiring, tanks, hoses, and engines are from the same vendors across many brands and their life expectancy is likewise the same whether installed on a Hinckley or a Hunter. We're becoming less focused on buying a particular brand than we are on buying a previous owner who stayed on top of maintenance and upgrades. We're willing to accept a boat that has bleach bottle characteristics if it gets us the gear and maintenance levels we want at a price that fits our budget. I think that's the trade off a lot of buyers weigh out and ultimately there's no right or wrong answer.
Old 10-20-2013

bjung is on a distinguished road

We were happy to see some very new and interesting boats.
The XP 44 was very impressive (besides the typical X yachts quality, I really liked the clean, bright interior, with foam cored fiberglass cabinets ). It was nice to see the all new Contest 42CS, allthough ventilation is seriously lacking, the Allures 45 with solid build and smart solutions for cruising and the Dehler 38. I had a chance to sail the Dehler 38 after the show, which propably made it my favorite. Wow ! What a sweet sailing boat. In 6 to 8 kts, she would go upwind at around 6 kts, downwind around 8 with an asymmetrical. Nice deck layout for singlehanding also. I would have liked to see more wind and a nasty chessie chop, but her light wind performance was impressive. Down below, quality is above average and features some nice solutions.
We were really looking forward to seeing the new Bene 38, but were not as impressed as we had hoped. The freeboard was massive and about the same as the 50 footer next to it, which gave it a clumsy, boxy look. We liked the open interior, but found the usual Beneteau finish flimsier than we would like.
The Hanse 415 was one of the upsides this year. The interior quality, that we found completely lacking last year had been nicely improved, and had a more solid feel.
As usual, a fun show to visit...
wavedancer38 likes this.
Old 10-20-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Argyle
Do you need directions to Columbus, again?
X
Funny Ed, no one goes TO Columbus, the ask for directions around or FROM Columbus (or anywhere in ohio).
Old 10-20-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung;1107945...
I had a chance to sail the Dehler 38 after the show, which propably made it my favorite. Wow ! What a sweet sailing boat. In 6 to 8 kts, she would go upwind at around 6 kts, downwind around 8 with an asymmetrical. Nice deck layout for singlehanding also. I would have liked to see more wind and a nasty chessie chop, but her light wind performance was impressive. Down below, quality is above average and features some nice solutions.
You were not the only one impressed. Recently the readers and testers of Voile magazine made it the Magazine boat of the year. For French to select a German boat, it has to be very good. The Oceanis 38 was one of the boats tested. All the boats were tested at the same time, with the same wind and conditions. Another boat that impressed was the cheap Varianta 37 that was faster than the Oceanis 38 and the Bavaria 37.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-20-2013 at 02:27 PM.