What sailboats could survive a full blown hurricane at sea? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: What sailboats could survive a full blown hurricane at sea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Big ships often fair worse than a small sailboat in extreme conditions. Whereas a large ship may span a few waves and beak her back, a strong, small sailboat would be much like a cork, if watertight.
I have survived 2 hurricanes at sea in sailboats.
Well you can chose a small sailboat as safer, I would take my chances in a big airplane carrier or in a battleship, one of the big ones.

A big warship breaking its back in bad weather? They are made strong enough not only to sustain the sea fury but also a lot of damage by enemy fire. I think you are talking about cargo ships. That is not what I had mentioned.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Me too.
I cant remember ever hearing about a battleship or an aircraft carrier going down due to rough weather. And, the food is good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 10-12-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

maybe not breaking it's back.. but my father rememebers seeing the intrepid with her flightdeck even with the water... and he was on an LST. The carrier sailors joked that people on his ship should have gotten Submarine pay as they spent most of the time under the waves.

From what he tells of the story, they were taking 50 degree rolls.. LSTs are only supposed to take 40 before the capsize.

I know of the Westsail that survived the perfect storm.. and a few Alberg 37s that survived some serious weather. Two that went through the Fast Net Gale with minimal damage and one that wound up beached with only scratches from a hurricane

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 10-12-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

The USN would disagree with the idea that warships are safe in a typhoon. In 1944 a number of ships were capsized and lost in Typhoon Cobra.

There are too many variables to say which boats would survive a hurricane. In a class 5 hurricane in the dangerous quadrant, essentially NO sailboat would be likely to survive. Currents, types of wave action, proficiency of the captain and crew, equipment on board, strategies for dealing with big seas, and whether you've pissed off Neptune...all variables making huge differences in ability to handle bad weather. It's not just the boat.

An Alberg 35 survived the Fastnet storm by just taking sails down and going below with bare poles.
capta likes this.

Last edited by smurphny; 10-12-2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: link
Old 10-12-2013

Tenoch is on a distinguished road

Read "Rescue in the Pacific". Great book, not a hurricane, but a nasty storm none-the-less. All but one of the 'boats' survived it. It was the people that didn't.
Old 10-12-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

OK, fine. Then I won't go to sea in a warship. That settles it.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 10-12-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
The USN would disagree with the idea that warships are safe in a typhoon. In 1944 a number of ships were capsized and lost in Typhoon Cobra. Typhoon Cobra (1944) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"three destroyers capsized and sank"

There is a big difference between a small destroyer and a big battleship or an aircraft carrier. I said "battleship, one of the big ones".

and I would not like to be on a force 5 hurricane on any boat (or anywhere for that matter). I just said that If I had to, I would prefer to be on a big battleship than in a small sailboat.

But there are all kinds of tastes: If needed do you prefer to face one on a small sailboat than on a big battleship? I am with Bob, I bet they still can cook under the hurricane on the big ship

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-12-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-12-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

I think it was one of Michner's books, maybe Tales of the South Pacific, that has a great fictional/historical account of this storm and what it must have been like to come upon the tragic sight of the wrong side of a destroyer from the deck of a sister ship.
Old 10-12-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
"three destroyers capsized and sank"

There is a big difference between a small destroyer and a big battleship or an aircraft carrier. I said "battleship, one of the big ones".

and I would not like to be on a force 5 hurricane on any boat (or anywhere for that matter). I just said that If I had to, I would prefer to be on a big battleship than in a small sailboat.

But there are all kinds of tastes: If needed do you prefer to face one on a small sailboat than on a big battleship? I am with Bob, I bet they still can cook under the hurricane on the big ship

Regards

Paulo
For sure. One factor mentioned about ships that capsized and sank was the fact that top-heavy equipment/weight was added, the same criticism that was cited in the Perfect Storm sword boat that was lost. I see a lot of commercial boats that OBVIOUSLY have way too much weight up high. A lot of this kind of modification seems to be done with not much though to stability engineering.
Old 10-12-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Might have been the Caine Mutiny. The storm in that book actually happened after the battle of Leyte. The returning American fleet got caught in what was, at the time, the worst storm ever recorded (lowest barometric pressure). Several Destroyers were lost.

If I had to choose a small boat to survive a hurricane I think I would choose one of those foam filled, unsinkable Etaps.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.