Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2013

ChuckBuck is on a distinguished road
Solo Sailing UK

Hi Everyone,

My name is Chuck Buckingham - but mates call me Chuck Buck!

I've relocated to the UK from the great lakes (born in Canada) and am starting to get settled in. I've had to sell my Beneteau First 36.7 – ‘Miller Time’ as shipping costs were outrageous. I'm happy to report that I now have a new boat and I am enjoying most weekends on the Solent.
I was (and still am) a member of the Great Lakes Singlehanded society The Great Lakes Singlehanded Society - Home Page and really enjoyed being part of such an amazing group of passionate solo sailors. I successfully completed the Chicago to Mac Island solo challenge (333 n. miles) and the Lake Michigan solo scrambler (120 n mile race).

Their mission is below.
The Great Lakes Singlehanded Society is an organization established for the perpetuation of the sport of solo sailing. Its purpose is two-fold, the first being to encourage the development of and education concerning suitable techniques, equipment, and gear for shorthanded passage under sail; its second being the recognition of accomplishments of singlehanded sailors in the Great Lakes region. The camaraderie of like-minded sailors, borne of the competition on the race course, is the one of the greatest benefits the Society is able to bestow upon its members. The Society views all skippers who successfully complete one of the membership granting challenges as winners!

Now that I am here in the UK I am wondering if such an organization exists. Kind of a Chester challenge - but tamer version. If you know of such a group - would you be able to send me their info?
If no such group exists, would there be any interest in starting such a group? I'm happy to do the leg work if there is interest. Ideally, we'd get 10-20 passionate solo sailors together a couple times per year for an organized solo race / fast cruise. I now sail a Beneteau Oceanis 31 so, I know I won’t be leading the pack. I have another mate with a J92 who has shown interest in participating if there is interest. I'm not fussed about distance - perhaps anything from 50 - 250 miles? Ideally, we'd start and finish in the Solent as that's where the bulk of us keep our boats.
Looking forward to hearing back.
Chuck Buck
'Maple Leaf'
Haslar Marina
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Solo Sailing UK

Chuck,

you are asking in the wrong forum......go find interesting boats in new boats area, ask paulo via pm, you will get more info on solo sailing in europe than you know what to do about. There are SOOOOOO many races etc over that way.....probably more than NA has crewed races, and the crewed races are more than our crewed races. Plus many oave 1d options. Ask a local YC about them, I am sure you will find many......as I recall, fastnet has crew, solo, double, 1d, IRC etc with what , literally 1000 or so boats racing. There is more than one around the UK, Isle of wright, to name a few solo/DH races you can do.

I'm writing this on the left coast of NA!

Marty
Old 10-13-2013

Jaramaz is on a distinguished road
Re: Solo Sailing UK

UK forums as
Yachting Monthly's Scuttlebutt

Good Luck

/J
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Tags
singlehanded , solo sailing