Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: What would you rather own?
Sailboat 99 90.83%
RV 11 10.09%
Motor Yacht 3 2.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2013

peikenberry is on a distinguished road
Re: Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
My wife liked the RV better because it didn't "tip".

Paul T
Same here. When I retired we wanted to sell the house and travel. I wanted a boat. The wife wanted a motorhome. The motorhome won. We have lived in it for 9 years as of December. Mostly we stay in military RV parks. They have all the regular services and are a little bit less expensive than private parks, and they are usually located in some very scenic places. We like the life style. We also have three boats; a motor boat (heaven forbid), a 12 foot rowboat and an 8 foot sailing dinghy. So I get to sail, go fishing and boating as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Boating Safety Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dont Tell Me that I can't. Tell me how I can!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvicola-amphibius View Post
Depends on how much importance you place on delaying brain atrophy. An RV is hardly going to challenge the mind. A boat, on the other hand, will always have something to fix, plus outsmarting wind and tide has to be good for the neurons.
In the off-sailing season, supplement the boat with a motor bike and bedroll and camp out under the stars. Medical research indicates that staying alive on a motor bike is also good for the brain.
When I am too old to sail and ride, they can put me in a sack and send me to Davey Jones.
Well my friend you should have been with me last month then. Was in the Tahoe national forest hiking for a few days back in a jeep/ horse only area and there was a fire. The fire blocked the main roads no big deal I could have waited for the fire to be put out but I decided to take a road out that I hadn't been on in years. Well my camper is light only about 2000 lb loaded so I decided to go out via this old jeep road. The road became steeper and steeper with lots of hair pin slanted turns that made the camper lean pretty good. Got to the top of the mountain and started down to find that road closed so had to take a skid trail down to the Soda Springs road which we made ok. At this point I figured I was home clear just another fifty miles of poor dirt rock road and we could have a beer. Ran into a guy on a bike that said I should go back cause the road was washed out. Well I wasn't about to go back so decided to head on down the road. A storm had indeed washed out the road for almost 1/2 mile which we negotiated very very slowly and carefully until we came to the part where the mountain side had slide off into the canyon. I sent an hour or two studying the slide and thought I may be able to make it so I went for it. I made it but barely, the camper was not correctly centered on the truck when I managed to get past the slide but it was still there. Time for a beer.
no my friend driving down the interstate type rv-in is not my cup of tea. come join me sometime, its fun.
one good thing is on this trip I was not pulling a boat
Old 10-19-2013

Thumbs up Re: Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peikenberry View Post
Same here. When I retired we wanted to sell the house and travel. I wanted a boat. The wife wanted a motorhome. The motorhome won. We have lived in it for 9 years as of December. Mostly we stay in military RV parks. They have all the regular services and are a little bit less expensive than private parks, and they are usually located in some very scenic places. We like the life style. We also have three boats; a motor boat (heaven forbid), a 12 foot rowboat and an 8 foot sailing dinghy. So I get to sail, go fishing and boating as well.
aint nuttin wrong with that....cept that a man is supposed to wear the pants in the family and make the decisions........
Old 10-20-2013

peikenberry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
cept that a man is supposed to wear the pants in the family and make the decisions........
That's fine if you don't want to get into her pants for a long damn time! LOL

I am just fine with the motorhome, in fact I picked it out. The only thing I would change is the engine, I'd rather have a diesel instead of gas, but this model only came with gas.

My Boating Safety Blog

Dont Tell Me that I can't. Tell me how I can!
Old 10-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by peikenberry View Post
That's fine if you don't want to get into her pants for a long damn time! LOL

I am just fine with the motorhome, in fact I picked it out. The only thing I would change is the engine, I'd rather have a diesel instead of gas, but this model only came with gas.
really, that proves it, no man in your house. A real man would make his woman wear a dress if anything at all not pants! Men wear pants....geezz........

Motorhomes are nice. I would like to have one as well but I have too many toys to play with now. Motorhomes are like driving your living room down the road. No, actually gas is far cheaper than diesel in the long term. If your D needs work its always a few thousand gas engines just go and go. D is better in the mountains on fuel but when you change the oil and the D takes 15 quarts. I own a diesel truck and now I wish I had bought gas. would have saved almost 10k at the purchase. I had an F250 5.4 gas and that truck has never died. Its well over 250k and still working. Very cheap to operate and maintain compared to the diesel truck I also own.
Old 10-20-2013

Langlo06 is on a distinguished road

Been there done that, sounds so clicher but did the camping thing for probably more than half my life, then got into sailing last 6 years

When its all said an done, sailing is definetely cheaper considering your
only fuel used is diesel, propane for cooking which is mininal on any given day
whereas RV, fill her up buddy

So much more to see from this side, dock or anchor go into shore, bum a ride, take a bus, or rent car or bike and explore the brown stuff if you must
then off to explore some more.
Old 10-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlo06 View Post
Been there done that, sounds so clicher but did the camping thing for probably more than half my life, then got into sailing last 6 years

When its all said an done, sailing is definetely cheaper considering your
only fuel used is diesel, propane for cooking which is mininal on any given day
whereas RV, fill her up buddy

So much more to see from this side, dock or anchor go into shore, bum a ride, take a bus, or rent car or bike and explore the brown stuff if you must
then off to explore some more.
dosent it get kinda bleak out there with nothing on the horizon for days weeks?
Old 10-20-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

On point that is being missed by some here is a key difference between RVs and boats. That is an RV is a means to an end. That end being the adventure you will find at the end of the road. A boat is an adventure in itself.

The poster who wrote that RVs do not challenge the mind has obviously never driven an RV. OK, I'm not gonna compare driving an RV with piloting a sailboat to Tahiti, but gotta tell you when you've got 45 ft of motor home pulling a car on a dolly, which means you can't back up, you really have to plan every move. Even stopping for fuel becomes a game of access and turning room. And rest areas can become traps.

Then there are days where things don't go right. Like coming off a ramp from I-10 in Florida at 6am and your Grand Cherokee that has very obediently followed the motor home all the way from Jersey decides it needs to cross four lanes of traffic all by itself! Good news was it didn't cause a crash! Better news was it didn't roll over as it went down the embankment on the far side of the highway. Less good was the tow bill and the repair charge for a new tow bar.

So challenge? Yeah it has its days!!!

Last edited by TJC45; 10-20-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
On point that is being missed by some here is a key difference between RVs and boats. That is an RV is a means to an end. That end being the adventure you will find at the end of the road. A boat is an adventure in itself.

The poster who wrote that RVs do not challenge the mind has obviously never driven an RV. OK, I'm not gonna compare driving an RV with piloting a sailboat to Tahiti, but gotta tell you when you've got 45 ft of motor home pulling a car on a dolly, which means you can't back up, you really have to plan every move. Even stopping for fuel becomes a game of access and turning room. And rest areas can become traps.

Then there are days where things don't go right. Like coming off a ramp from I-10 in Florida at 6am and your Grand Cherokee that has very obediently followed the motor home all the way from Jersey decides it needs to cross four lanes of traffic all by itself! Good news was it didn't cause a crash! Better news was it didn't roll over as it went down the embankment on the far side of the highway. Less good was the tow bill and the repair charge for a new tow bar.

So challenge? Yeah it has its days!!!
do you think driving a 40ft motorhome on todays highways is not an adventure?
Old 10-20-2013

irmedic is on a distinguished road

I crossed lake Okeechobee and docked at the Roland Martin Marina. My boat was 10' from a tiki bar. Enough said.