Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: What would you rather own?
Sailboat 99 90.83%
RV 11 10.09%
Motor Yacht 3 2.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road
Re: Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?

There have been times I've been looking at getting a small camper, like one of the smaller models that Airstream sells. Sometimes I still look into campers but I really like that I have my boat. It just seems so much more exciting. I think I'll stick with the boat.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2013

arvicola-amphibius is on a distinguished road

The only challenge I would find in driving an RV would be a challenge to my patience. Meeting up with all those other senile people doing the same thing. Now, if you could get them (the senile people and their RVs) to do 100m.p.h. and lean into corners, maybe. Perhaps organise some midnight RV burn-outs or street drags to stir the neighbourhood.

......who, me, biased?
Old 10-21-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
There have been times I've been looking at getting a small camper, like one of the smaller models that Airstream sells. Sometimes I still look into campers but I really like that I have my boat. It just seems so much more exciting. I think I'll stick with the boat.
save yourself $30K and look at any other manuf of RV out there. I know the Airstreams have a devout following but really why would you spend so much on a "retro" camper that is very confining due to it's shape and the appointments are "retro" at best and archaic at worst. The seating is poor and uncomfortable, the layouts are meant to make you say "oh this is what it was like in the fifties" apparently. terrible campers in my opinion.

you could keep the boat and have a very nice camper and spend a lot less than the price of the stream.
Old 10-21-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenger79 View Post
save yourself $30K and look at any other manuf of RV out there. I know the Airstreams have a devout following but really why would you spend so much on a "retro" camper that is very confining due to it's shape and the appointments are "retro" at best and archaic at worst. The seating is poor and uncomfortable, the layouts are meant to make you say "oh this is what it was like in the fifties" apparently. terrible campers in my opinion.

you could keep the boat and have a very nice camper and spend a lot less than the price of the stream.
Not that I can travel the country like one could with an RV or camper but the other option would be to put the boat on its trailer and stay in that if needed.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 10-21-2013
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by khammett View Post
So here's my dilemma.

I really want to buy a new sailboat. Has been wanting one for a while now. But I also want to get a RV of some kind.

With a sailboat you have a house on water. You could explore islands, remote coasts, lakes, rivers.

But with a RV you could explore the remotest parts of North America. I think RVing is alot cheaper too.

What do you guys think?
I, for one, understand the attraction of an RV. I have a small travel trailer and a sailboat. I guess I couldn't choose!

Old 10-21-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arknoah View Post
I, for one, understand the attraction of an RV. I have a small travel trailer and a sailboat. I guess I couldn't choose!
geez... God knows that man can't decide which toy he likes best that's why he made woman with two instead of one
TJC45 likes this.
Old 10-21-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
do you think driving a 40ft motorhome on todays highways is not an adventure?
It's always an adventure, but once you get some time behind the wheel not always a challenge. Depends. 495 around DC in a motor home? That's an adventure and a challenge. And, driving a motor home over the Bay Bridge at Annapolis in heavy wind is down right scary! Especially the westbound span! Any road that goes vertical in West Virginia, oh yeah! But driving motor home speed on 95 in southern Florida, 70 in Indiana, or 76 in Eastern Pa, not so much.

Of course getting into it with a trucker who wants your non truck parking spot in the car area of a rest area at 3am, always exciting!
Old 10-21-2013

WhistlerMark is on a distinguished road

I say post this on an RV forum and see what the thread looks like just for fun. There were a lot of interesting, thoughtful responses here and I wonder what the RV posts would look like. I wonder if the poll would look exactally the same - except the the RV at the top Motor Yacht second, sailboat 3rd. But that's just a guess ;0)
Old 10-21-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
It's always an adventure, but once you get some time behind the wheel not always a challenge. Depends. 495 around DC in a motor home? That's an adventure and a challenge. And, driving a motor home over the Bay Bridge at Annapolis in heavy wind is down right scary! Especially the westbound span! Any road that goes vertical in West Virginia, oh yeah! But driving motor home speed on 95 in southern Florida, 70 in Indiana, or 76 in Eastern Pa, not so much.

Of course getting into it with a trucker who wants your non truck parking spot in the car area of a rest area at 3am, always exciting!
just like boating huh?
Old 10-21-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

I'm not so critical of Airstream. Fact is most RVs, from small towables to 40 ft plus diesel pushers are made out of a combination of cardboard, plastic, and rubber these days. You can buy quality, but it costs! Personally, i wouldn't buy anything with a rubber roof or anything where the owner is required to maintain the walls, windows, roof, or door openings with any type of sealant. Once water gets in the walls will start to delaminate. That's when things get expensive. On towables i would make sure the axles, wheel hubs etc are up to the weight being carried. Once I'm thru with the struture, next up is usability. Everything from the layout to how the utilities are layed out. to where are the breakers. Just like with boats, you hang around RVs long enough you see some pretty stupid stuff. The idea is to catch it before you write the check.