Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: What would you rather own?
Sailboat 99 90.83%
RV 11 10.09%
Motor Yacht 3 2.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2013
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road
Re: Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
If one is towing a boat on a trailer, is it at that time considered an RV? Just say'in I could live with that
And how many of us have slept in our boats on the way to a messabout or during a long trip? If so, we've definitely experienced the "boat as RV."

Old 10-24-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post

????????????????????

It's true "WE, Jill and I" don't just drop in any place. But other Nor'Sea owners do! See our Youtube video of the last HPCC (Havasu Pocket Cruisers Convention) on Lake Havasu at:

HPCC & Nor'Sea ramp launch - YouTube

BUT, we just spent months cruising from the San Francisco bay the Delta! Towed from Az. to Napa, dropped in, spent a month or so in the San Francisco Bay, Oakland Estuary, Angel Island, Berkley, Pier 39 +++, Then up into the Delta as far as Stockton and most of the way to Sacramento.

Have a batch of video that I may post on YouTube at some point.

Planning now for a Mardi Gras & on to Florida cruise from Feb. to June 2014.

Greg
Beautiful boats
if I decided on a norsea I would also likely limit my sailing to protected waters. Don't get me wrong. I love these little sailboats the design is well thought out their solidly built with lots of blue water use under their belt but I wouldn't feel safe out there in a boat that size. I've owned dozens of trailer boats over the years and the truth is they are always a compromise. Kinda like the little guy that wears stilts so he can feel equal to his tall basketball friends
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by arknoah View Post
And how many of us have slept in our boats on the way to a messabout or during a long trip? If so, we've definitely experienced the "boat as RV."
boats definitely fall in the category of a vehicle that is used for recreation unless you use your boat in your business. Back in my hospital building days I used to do lots of work out on my searay sundancer in the California delta so at that time the dancer was not a rec vehicle but a work vehicle. on or off the trailer a boat if used for recreation is a recreational vehicle
Old 10-24-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
Beautiful boats
if I decided on a norsea I would also likely limit my sailing to protected waters. Don't get me wrong. I love these little sailboats the design is well thought out their solidly built with lots of blue water use under their belt but I wouldn't feel safe out there in a boat that size. I've owned dozens of trailer boats over the years and the truth is they are always a compromise. Kinda like the little guy that wears stilts so he can feel equal to his tall basketball friends
bfloyd,

Jill and I have also sailed many boats, from dinks to, and including, a 132 Ft. Grand Banks schooner. Been on larger, but not as in command or crew.

We long ago decided that size does NOT equal safety at sea, or even comfort. And that just because a Nor'Sea is classed as a trailer boat, dos not put her in the same catagory as many of the others of that same general kind.

We have personally been aboard (and sailed) boats in the 35 to 45+ foot size that were not nearly as safe, or sea kindly, as our Nor'Sea.

NOT trying to convince you to get one! Just saying you should catch a ride if you get the chance before you make up your mind.

By the way, we have weathered 3 hurricanes in Guen, 2 at anchor. That's us a few miles off the west coast

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-24-2013

Quote:
bfloyd,

Jill and I have also sailed many boats, from dinks to, and including, a 132 Ft. Grand Banks schooner. Been on larger, but not as in command or crew.

We long ago decided that size does NOT equal safety at sea, or even comfort. And that just because a Nor'Sea is classed as a trailer boat, dos not put her in the same catagory as many of the others of that same general kind.

We have personally been aboard (and sailed) boats in the 35 to 45+ foot size that were not nearly as safe, or sea kindly, as our Nor'Sea.

NOT trying to convince you to get one! Just saying you should catch a ride if you get the chance before you make up your mind.

By the way, we have weathered 3 hurricanes in Guen, 2 at anchor. That's us a few miles off the west coast

Greg
Greg, I am sure they are very safe or they wouldn't have the reputation they have. I realize its just me, I have great respect for NorSea's. Read the book Storm Tactics, they went round the world in a 25 footer with no engine he built himself then built a 29 footer sailed it around the word, also no engine, I think 30 years ago. They still own the 29 and sail the coast of ca. during the summer then go to NZ for the summer there and sail a cutter. They do everything via sail. So size is definitely not a criteria for sea worthiness. I like enough room to get away from others like I'm used to being able to do on a trawler. Sailboats are kinda cramped compared to them. Gonna get used to them. Found a very good westsail hull yesterday but everything else needs redone. I kinda like that idea ands its at an attractive price low enough to leave money to refit completely
Old 10-24-2013

joelsanda is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by khammett View Post
But with a RV you could explore the remotest parts of North America. I think RVing is alot cheaper too.
Well, by remote - in this case - you mean a paved road. Or a very well maintained dirt or gravel road. Neither of those mean remote.

On a related note the most 'remote' one can get in the continental United States is, depending upon who you ask, the Thorofare in Yellowstone National Park or the Frank Church River of no Return Wilderness in Idaho. In these cases remotes means the furthest from roads. Both are quiet and quite remote and only require a moderately stocked backpack with some nice hiking shoes :-)

For what it's worth I'm opting for the sailboat. Trading out the hiking boots for flip flops and the backpack for a dinghy.
Old 10-24-2013

Quote:
I like enough room to get away from others like I'm used to being able to do on a trawler. Sailboats are kinda cramped compared to them. Gonna get used to them. Found a very good westsail hull yesterday but everything else needs redone. I kinda like that idea ands its at an attractive price low enough to leave money to refit completely
I understand that. It's why there are so many wonderful boats! Every captain get's his own.

I have delivered a couple of trawlers up and down the west coast in and out of Mexico. NOW there are some boats I (MY VIEW ONLY) that need protected waters. But there was this converted tug that I kinda liked, except the 1000 gal. fuel bill!

I think getting an older vessel and re-doing it is the BEST way to go! You know EXACTLY what's in it!!! And the Westsail was on our short list. Just use caution in the ballast area, I think some of them had steel punchings for ballast....

Greg

Greg

Youtube page -
Old 10-24-2013

Quote:
I understand that. It's why there are so many wonderful boats! Every captain get's his own.

I have delivered a couple of trawlers up and down the west coast in and out of Mexico. NOW there are some boats I (MY VIEW ONLY) that need protected waters. But there was this converted tug that I kinda liked, except the 1000 gal. fuel bill!

I think getting an older vessel and re-doing it is the BEST way to go! You know EXACTLY what's in it!!! And the Westsail was on our short list. Just use caution in the ballast area, I think some of them had steel punchings for ballast....

Greg

Greg
and this one has 5000 in lead and the rest steel punching encapsulated in resin. Don't like that part but for a 38 year old boat of which 34 has been in water the hull on the outside is in remarkably fine shape. Original gelcoat, original owner, bottom paint new feb original fresh water cooled perkins that purrs like a perkins. Electronics were never installed except for lights no holding take has a portapotty. Pretty Spartan but the boat has been well traveled in the pacific as far as nZ. Standard layout inside gimbaled stove oven v berth. Just that a 32 is so small how do you find places to store everything. Geez....after the essentials are loaded I will have to tow a raft for the beer!...don't like towing
Old 10-24-2013

Quote:
Geez....after the essentials are loaded I will have to tow a raft for the beer!...don't like towing
Sounds like a great start. At least the PO didn't bugger it up with a lot of nonsense.

Oh come now! IF WE can have all of the essentials on our 27, surely you have plenty of room on a 32!

We have refrigeration, life raft, 8 foot dink, stove & oven, hooka gear, nav stuff, and 54 inch flat screen , Well.... it's actually an LED projector that we use in the cockpit. And one hell of a lot of spares!!!

Keep us up to date on the project!

Greg

Youtube page -
Old 10-24-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well.... it's actually an LED projector that we use in the cockpit.
Greg
Watching movies on the mainsail?

I met a guy in Afghanistan who hung a bedsheet on the wall outside of his room to watch movies and play video games with a projector. Worked pretty good.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell