Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: What would you rather own?
Sailboat 99 90.83%
RV 11 10.09%
Motor Yacht 3 2.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoalFinder View Post
the RV thing has always been attractive to me, but I always go back to how many hotel rooms I can buy with the money an RV costs. I like camping and an RV isn't quite camping. But I have to admit that as I get older my back sure does keep asking for an RV.

Then I began to see and RV more as a travel convenience than a replacement to camping. It sure is nice to be able to pull over and sleep instead of hunting for a hotel room.

I love sailing more, but I honestly believe the wife and kids would prefer the RV.
I have always thought hey those things use a lot of fuel, can't be much fun to drive and then you got to pay about what you would pay for a hotel room to park them in what amounts to a trailer park crowded with people. So you spend a ton more on fuel and still pay to park them, and they cost thousands, if not 100s of thousands of dollars. They don't make sense to me at all. Sure if you spend a LOT of money they are kind of luxurious but never made any sense to me. I like camping, and want to go someplace where I won't see anyone, you know experience nature, not other drunk people. But you could likely fly places, rent a car, stay in the Ritz for a lot less than what it costs to buy and run a motor home.

But back to the original question, I say rent an RV for a few weeks, then Charter a sailboat for the same amount of time and see what the family likes.
ottos likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2013

sol518 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingdream View Post
RV's don't float!!!
Not true.

youtube.com/watch?v=Za63ltkMGGE

Not allowed to embed yet
Old 10-15-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Depends on where you want to go.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-15-2013

xymotic is on a distinguished road

To me the perfect "rv" is something very small and economical. Anything else is waste and frankly more work. A lot of people do both a nice boat in the PNW in the sumer and then RV around the southwest in the winter
Old 10-15-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
I have always thought hey those things use a lot of fuel, can't be much fun to drive and then you got to pay about what you would pay for a hotel room to park them in what amounts to a trailer park crowded with people. So you spend a ton more on fuel and still pay to park them, and they cost thousands, if not 100s of thousands of dollars. They don't make sense to me at all. Sure if you spend a LOT of money they are kind of luxurious but never made any sense to me. I like camping, and want to go someplace where I won't see anyone, you know experience nature, not other drunk people. But you could likely fly places, rent a car, stay in the Ritz for a lot less than what it costs to buy and run a motor home.

But back to the original question, I say rent an RV for a few weeks, then Charter a sailboat for the same amount of time and see what the family likes.
There are many... MANY... variations of RVs. I totally agree with you on most points. But "RV" doesn't only imply a Class C Motor Home with marble floors that looks like the Dave Matthews Tour Bus. But holy cow, there are RV's that are nicer than some houses I've lived in.

For my purposes, I've always been interested in the Rialtas (no longer made) which are just a tiny notch above a conversion van. I'm talking about RVs that you could drive through a take-out window at a fast food joint. These are basically large vans with a real bathroom in them. The rolling equivalent of a 25foot sailboat.

My Ford Expedition gets 16 miles to the gallon while my Hyundai gets 25. But anything over 6 hours on the road and the additional comfort (and room) of the expedition far outweighs the gas savings of the little car. Still, there are small RVs that nearly rival the fuel economy of my Expedition and you can actually lay down on a bed and use a real bathroom- or take a shower if you are off the grid.

I have no desire to trade Hampton Inn for the KOA campground for all the reasons you mention, which I completely agree with you.

Last edited by ShoalFinder; 10-15-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-15-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

What a silly poll for a sailboat site...and I actually vote, what a maroon!!
Old 10-15-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

It's hard to see Yosemite from your sailboat.
Old 10-15-2013

SailingJackson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by khammett View Post
So here's my dilemma.

I really want to buy a new sailboat. Has been wanting one for a while now. But I also want to get a RV of some kind.

With a sailboat you have a house on water. You could explore islands, remote coasts, lakes, rivers.

But with a RV you could explore the remotest parts of North America. I think RVing is alot cheaper too.

What do you guys think?
I have both an RV and a sailboat and I've never had to ask myself that sort of question. I'll always have a boat. If you even think of asking such a question then I think you should buy an RV.
Old 10-15-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road

Well I own both. Biased opinion but, I use my RV much more. It has traveled the country or at least the eastern half.

I envy those with larger sailboats that go around the world or even island hopping but it may be awhile before I can do that.

Reason my opinion is biased is because we have been camping my whole life. Never really been without some sort of RV. Right now mine is a travel trailer although I am considering going to the motor coach next. Sister loves theirs.

Big plus for RV? Well family will love it, (they may not enjoy sailing as much as you), bad weather? no problem stop in a wayside and make a snack. So much to see in America, scenery from open water is well open water, scenery from the road is Awesome!!! Family reunions have a whole new "niceness" to them. No longer need to crash at uncle Ed's place, just pull in and plug in. Home away from home.

remember the last motel you stayed in on vacation? who slept there before you? My better half used to clean in a very upscale hotel. (5 star rated) you wouldn't believe what people do in those rooms. She now cleans operatting rooms in a hospital and says they are so much cleaner even after major surgery. bllod, guts, bone fragments and brain matter are nothing compared to the alternative.

I do still want to someday get the larger sailboat for extended stays and have even thought of living aboard although I would still keep my RV for traveling.

I have a friend down south who does 6 months living on her boat and 6 months cruising in her RV....perfect combo.

as far as cost? I wouldn't say the RV is "cheap" but it is easier to find things for, and I don't think they break quite as often. Although I have had a few issues with mine they have been inexpensive, and more importantly non life threatening. when something breaks at a campground it is an inconvenience but easily handled.
Old 10-15-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road

by the way as far as niceness, I have gone from a tent through various versions of RV to what I have now. Even my dogs would rather stay in my "camper" rather than the house. I have lived in it for a year and a half while contracting in FL. quite comfortably. pulling the camper with my truck nets a fuel mileage of about 12 MPG.
My sister and Bro in law get 10 from a 35 ft class A RV. They have 2 bedrooms, 4 flat screen TV's and very nice leather furnishings...

you don't buy RV's or trucks for fuel mileage.

Campgrounds are like anything else, choose wisely. If you like to party go to the party places. If you like up scale and snooty those exist. I stay in KOA a lot. they are very nice and comfortable. rules are enforced, no old shabby rolling wrecks allowed. usually campers have to be 10 yrs old or less. (unless custom rebuilt)

I have had Montgomery Gentry pull their tour bus into one of the ones I stayed at. Definitely not a drunk fest there. Mostly drive in and look around. If they won't let you look, leave -- fast-- if they let you, I usually look at the vehicles around. all new trucks pulling newer campers probably not a big party.

There are certainly campgrounds you should avoid but I have seen a couple harbors I wouldn't go in to.