Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: What would you rather own?
Sailboat 99 90.83%
RV 11 10.09%
Motor Yacht 3 2.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2013

ctl411 is on a distinguished road
Re: Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
Not to move this thread in a different direction, but I have a quick question.

We talked about an RV for after we cruised, part time or full time. BUT, when I looked at the places to use it along the way, I found that most were close to the same price as a low cost motel! Is this always the case? When we anchor out in the boat, it's free.

Greg
You also can cook in the rv so this adds to the cost savings over motels.
TJC45 likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road

all depends on how you are comparing prices. yes you can stay in a $40/ night motel but really do you want to?

or $40 campsight gets you nice campground, pool, often a hot tub, cook in your own unit, sleep in your own bed. sometimes a lake, sometimes hiking trails,

if you're comparing prices you have to look at an equivalent stay. for me to stay in a hotel equivalent to my RV would be well over $100 / night.
Flat screen, cable, open bar, surround sound, A/C, heat, kitchen, covered patio, all new furnishings and bedding, non smoking unit, not too mention outside fireplace. Girly wants one with an inside fireplace next. LOL (yes they have them)

Plus the fact it's usually fun to get to know folks around you. I have never walked around a hotel/motel and gotten to know others around me. Campground we almost always do it.
TJC45 likes this.
Old 10-15-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

I think a primary question here (which I notice no one has asked yet) is - do you currently sail? Also important - do you live near a good sailing area?

If you don't have much sailing experience, I would start there before making a decision. I would sign you (and spouse if married) up for a cruising course where you live on the water. See how you like it and then decide.

I recently purchased a boat to sail, because I love sailing and wanted to get more practice and expand my skills. However, I have been pleasantly surprised by how wonderful it is to just get out of the city and weekend on the boat, even if it doesn't leave the slip. We have nicknamed the boat 'the country house'. It is a much cheaper alternative to a waterfront home in the area, and even if I'd never host Thanksgiving dinner on the boat, those waterfront homes can't just untie and change the view, either.

As for the RV, I would ask yourself if it really is a much more desirable alternative to car camping. I think this really depends on your proximity to the places you would like to camp and how much time you plan to be out. For me, the threshold would be if I planned to take many extended trips, with multiple stops, where I would be out in all weathers and the convenience of not having to pack and unpack my 'house' and spend multiple days tent-bound in the rain would outweigh the aesthetic pleasures of sleeping outside and the considerably cheaper cost.
Old 10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcentar View Post
As for the RV, I would ask yourself if it really is a much more desirable alternative to car camping. I think this really depends on your proximity to the places you would like to camp and how much time you plan to be out. For me, the threshold would be if I planned to take many extended trips, with multiple stops, where I would be out in all weathers and the convenience of not having to pack and unpack my 'house' and spend multiple days tent-bound in the rain would outweigh the aesthetic pleasures of sleeping outside and the considerably cheaper cost.
that is a very good question/point. The reason we stopped tenting is because the better half got sick and tired of week long trips where it would rain alll week. everything would be soaked, plus no amenities at all in a tent. so we began the scaling up of how we camp. now days it isn't camping at all. I still like to go out in a tent now and than but I have to admit there is somethin to be said for comfort.

I watched a family in FL trying to set up camp in the rain with a tent. I went out and asked them if they'd like to come in until the storm passed. Their son was amazed at the "camping" I was doing. Hanging out having refreshments watching TV and saying "sure looks bad out there"
I don't miss tenting in the rain at all. LOL

BTW emcentar: Is that your boxer? Mine would never get near the boat, let alone lounge like that LOL
Old 10-15-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Ive been cruising now 5 years and theres a lot of places a boat can't go.

I am looking at RV'ing in North America (Alaska right down to Panama) and Europe, and later back in Australia.

So at some stage I will lay the boat up for a season and hit the roads.

But it wont be a big RV. A camper van is smaller, can be neatly fitted out, better chance of parking on streets etc.

The photo below shows the type of vehicle I have alread done about 22,000 kms (14,000 miles) in the USA about 10 years ago. Very economical - 2 litre engine and fully set up.

I travel to go placees. Sailing is a means to get there and accomodation. So is a camper van /RV
The pop top campers you show in the photo are getting fewer and harder to find. Vdub no longer makes it's van. That said, the type of vehicle you are talking about is known in the USA as a B class motorhome. You can find them out there from basic to tricked out. And it's a very good way to go!

Buttt, if you really want to see the USA, how about a touring bicycle, and some panniers or a trailer?

Sounds crazy? maybe it is? The exact trip you are talking about has been done and more by bicycle. Consider the possibilites! Check this out:

crazyguyonabike.com: Bicycle Touring: A place for bicycle tourists and their journals
Old 10-15-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
Not to move this thread in a different direction, but I have a quick question.

We talked about an RV for after we cruised, part time or full time. BUT, when I looked at the places to use it along the way, I found that most were close to the same price as a low cost motel! Is this always the case? When we anchor out in the boat, it's free.

Greg
RVs don't get to camp for free. Add in fuel costs, and amortizing the cost of the RV and it might be cheaper to travel by car. Butttt, the big advantage of the RV is having your own place and own space. Along with the ability ot move that space with the weather or you interests.

Last edited by TJC45; 10-15-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-15-2013

I thought about doing a bicycle tour for a bit. I was heavy into cycling a few years and it seemed like it would be fun to do. two major drawbacks though were time consumption and weather exposure. even a nice day can get miserable on a bicycle if you're out for hours on end.
TJC45 likes this.
Old 10-15-2013

TCJ -- there are free campgrounds out west but they have very little amenities. much like anchoring out, you would need to be self contained.

many state parks are free but same thing applies. self containment.
TJC45 likes this.
Old 10-15-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenger79 View Post
that is a very good question/point. The reason we stopped tenting is because the better half got sick and tired of week long trips where it would rain alll week. everything would be soaked, plus no amenities at all in a tent. so we began the scaling up of how we camp. now days it isn't camping at all. I still like to go out in a tent now and than but I have to admit there is somethin to be said for comfort.

I watched a family in FL trying to set up camp in the rain with a tent. I went out and asked them if they'd like to come in until the storm passed. Their son was amazed at the "camping" I was doing. Hanging out having refreshments watching TV and saying "sure looks bad out there"
I don't miss tenting in the rain at all. LOL

BTW emcentar: Is that your boxer? Mine would never get near the boat, let alone lounge like that LOL
Yes, I think my advice could be summed up more succinctly: start slowly and see which suits you best. Ideally, a sailboat should be an upgrade from weekend club/rental sailing, a RV an upgrade from car camping. I think too many sailboats sit in slips and RVs sit in driveways because people purchased a dream of what they wanted to do, not what they actually do now.

And that's not my boxer, although it could be her sister. Mine isn't a fan of the boat either, although I'm still working on it. She is probably never going to be a sailor, sadly, but I haven't given up on taking her to the boat when I don't plan to leave the slip. She does at least like to nap in the cockpit and watch the seagulls fish now.
Old 10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcentar View Post
And that's not my boxer, although it could be her sister. Mine isn't a fan of the boat either, although I'm still working on it. She is probably never going to be a sailor, sadly, but I haven't given up on taking her to the boat when I don't plan to leave the slip. She does at least like to nap in the cockpit and watch the seagulls fish now.
beautiful dog, love the brown. mine is a brindle with flash. she is a sweetheart but very hyper and not at all interested in the boat. She won't even get in it on the trailer in the drive. LOL she did love going to the beach though to wade in the water. sadly she is probably coming to her last days. she was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year and it is spreading through her body. so far no "pain" just tumors that seem to annoy her but not hurt. as long as she is living happily we intend to let her enjoy life.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.