Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: What would you rather own?
Sailboat 99 90.83%
RV 11 10.09%
Motor Yacht 3 2.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road
Re: Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?

IMO, this forum is an excellent place for this question. If the OP hasn't already done so i would suggest asking the same question on an RV owners forum.

We too, do both. About 18 years ago i sold my 34 ft sail boat and a year later bought a 30 foot motrhome. We used it primarily as a way to go to Hobie regattas. But we caught the RV bug and used it more and more. Trips with the kids to Disney, the Keys, and the Outer banks. We did roller coaster summer in our RV. Visiting as many big coaster parks as we could find. WE also did baseball summer using 14 days to road trip as many baseball games as we could fit into the schedule. NASCAR was on the agenda as well, but only a couple of races. We also found those weird events that really get into the fabric of an area. Like Bridge Day in Beckley West Virginia. Honestly, by a show of hands, how many people have seen people with parachutes jump off a bridge? the area has a big celebration. It's like Hillbilly Octoberfest! The kids still talk about that! As they do about Raystown Lake, a gem of a beautiful place in western Pennsylvania. 30 miles of pristine shoreline!

So the RV became a big part of our family's togetherness. I believe more so than the boat would have done. Though we still sailed, racing Hobies and J22s. it was all good!

As time went on we found that RVers share something in common with boaters - bigger is better! Which isn't always the case. Still, we now have a 43 ft Diesel Pusher Motorhome. Might downsize that but for now we are happy campers!!!!( though most campers will tell you traveling in any vehicle with AC, heat, sat connections, flat screen TVs and queen sized beds is not camping!)
avenger79 likes this.

Last edited by TJC45; 10-15-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenger79 View Post
I thought about doing a bicycle tour for a bit. I was heavy into cycling a few years and it seemed like it would be fun to do. two major drawbacks though were time consumption and weather exposure. even a nice day can get miserable on a bicycle if you're out for hours on end.
Time can definately be an issue. Pushing it some people can manage a 100 miles a day. But that defeats the purpose of touring on a bicycle. The goal is to slow down and smell the roses, so to speak. Like sailing, it's about the ride not the destination. It is to traveling by car what sailing is to power boating.

Hours on end pedaling a loaded bike can get old fast. Usually i average about six hours a day on the bike. That time is broken down into one or two hour stints. There is no rush. That's the point! Depending on terrain ( read that as hills) that breaks down to 40 to 60 miles per day.

IMO, there is absolutely no better way to see a place than to walk through it or ride through it on a bike.

There is no rule that says you must ride from Prudhoe Bay to Tierra Del Fuego ( though it's been done ) Start local and ride a to destination 20 or 30 miles away and then back home.

Lastly, there is no rule that says you have to camp. Credit card touring is very popular. Just pull up in the valet lane at the Ritz Carlton and tell them not to scratch the paint!!!! Seriously, lotsa people credit card tour staying at everything from cheap motels to expensive B&Bs. Like i said, no rules. Just have fun!

Last edited by TJC45; 10-15-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-15-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
Time can definately be an issue. Pushing it some people can manage a 100 miles a day. But that defeats the purpose of touring on a bicycle. The goal is to slow down and smell the roses, so to speak. Like sailing, it's about the ride not the destination. It is to traveling by car what sailing is to power boating.

Hours on end pedaling a loaded bike can get old fast. Usually i average about six hours a day on the bike. That time is broken down into one or two hour stints. There is no rush. That's the point! Depending on terrain ( read that as hills) that breaks down to 40 to 60 miles per day.

IMO, there is absolutely no better way to see a place than to walk through it or ride through it on a bike.

There is no rule that says you must ride from Prudhoe Bay to Tierra Del Fuego ( though it's been done ) Start local and ride a to destination 20 or 30 miles away and then back home.

Lastly, there is no rule that says you have to camp. Credit card touring is very popular. Just pull up in the valet lane at the Ritz Carlton and tell them not to scratch the paint!!!! Seriously, lotsa people credit card tour staying at everything from cherap motels to expensive B&Bs. Like i said, no ruls. Just have fun!
yeah I enjoy doing 50 miles in a day, could probably do 100 "easily" but....

LOL hadn't thought about the credit card tour. hmm that could be fun if only to do just one stop. especially considering the lack of "pedals" once your off the bike. LOL "don't scratch the paint" love it.....I have to use that one at least once.
TJC45 likes this.
Old 10-15-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Seems to be a rather silly question given it's a sailing forum.
Old 10-15-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenger79 View Post
beautiful dog, love the brown. mine is a brindle with flash. she is a sweetheart but very hyper and not at all interested in the boat. She won't even get in it on the trailer in the drive. LOL she did love going to the beach though to wade in the water. sadly she is probably coming to her last days. she was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year and it is spreading through her body. so far no "pain" just tumors that seem to annoy her but not hurt. as long as she is living happily we intend to let her enjoy life.
I'm so sorry to hear that. Boxers are wonderful dogs. My current girl is my second boxer. I lost my first to cancer at 13 after a good long life - and did exactly what you are doing, palliative care, spending lots of quality time, and making sure she was comfortable.
Old 10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Seems to be a rather silly question given it's a sailing forum.
IMO, not so much.

Not so much. As this OP found out there are sailors who have done both.

Regardless, where better to ask?
Old 10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcentar View Post
I'm so sorry to hear that. Boxers are wonderful dogs. My current girl is my second boxer. I lost my first to cancer at 13 after a good long life - and did exactly what you are doing, palliative care, spending lots of quality time, and making sure she was comfortable.
Thank you. She is a pleasure to have. Though sometimes challenging. She is only 7 yrs old so it seems way too soon for her to be sick, but boxers are prone to cancer. She has slowed down quite a bit, but still loves to go out and "hunt" in the woods. Funny when we got her, I wanted a german shorthair pointer but boxer seemed better for family. by the time she was 6 months she was pointing birds with absolutely no training. almost as if she knew. she has run off an intruder from our house and is the only dog my dad likes to play with, she's even allowed in his house. even being older, slower and sick she still looks like a puppy when she makes "I would like a treat eyes" LOL
emcentar likes this.
Old 10-15-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by khammett View Post
I think RVing is alot cheaper too.
I take it you've never gassed up one of those beasts. At around 8 MPG they ain't cheap. More like the cost of running a big powerboat than a sailboat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-15-2013

While gas is not cheap the over-all cost for a vaca in one compares favorably with other options.

A 10 day 2500 mile round trip would cost about $1400 in fuel, $500 to $700 for campgrounds, and another $250 for food. Add in some odds and end your at about $3000.

Fly to a resort destination and how much does that cost? 2 people airfare $800, lodging, at least $300 per night and if you go cheap food will be $150 a day. All up it's gonna cost over $5000.

A family vaca at the Jersey Shore for a week will run you in the $7000 to $10,000 range. Of course there are less expensive alternatives.

That said, RVing for most is no different than what sailors with bigger boats are doing. Weekends and one or two longer trips per year. Drive the RV to a favorite or new spot 50 to 150 miles from home spend two nights drive home. Total cost, all in, less than $250.

As i posted, we used it to extend our reach for family activities. Some weekends we would drive to a great hiking trail or local attraction. Just not having to feed four kids at an amusement park saved money. ( plus you park right up front with the buses!)

That said, if you want to really save money don't buy either an RV or a sail boat. Cause both are gonna cost ya!
avenger79 likes this.

Last edited by TJC45; 10-15-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-15-2013

yep, I use mine a lot for going 4 wheeling with atv's. definitely easier than trying to drive out and back in one day.

when the kids were younger they loved meeting new friends at campgrounds. in fact the girl my youngest has been with for the last 1 1/2 years he met at one of our camp spots. now they're trying to find a camper of their own to go out with. her parents have gone the route of the park model and we still like to move around with ours.
TJC45 likes this.