Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: What would you rather own?
Sailboat 99 90.83%
RV 11 10.09%
Motor Yacht 3 2.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road
Re: Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?

BTW, to answer the OPs question - What would you rather see? An RV will get you to inland destinations. A boat will take you along the coast. Both offer the same thing - the opportunity to explore.

Having done both there is no wrong answer. it is purely a personal decision on how you want to spend your time.

As for cost, there are off sets on both sides of the equation. While you won't have to pay to dock your motorhome your boat will never need $3000 worth of tires. So, expense wise it's a six of one type of thing.

Last edited by TJC45; 10-15-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2013

xymotic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
While you won't have to pay to dock your motorhome your boat will never need $3000 worth of tires. So, expense wise it's a six of one type of thing.
Right, just $9,000 worth of sails
RainDog and TJC45 like this.
Old 10-16-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

My plan has been to sail until I am too old to sail, then buy a trawler and motor cruise until I'm too old then buy an motor home and land cruise until I'm forced to stop driving.

Currently, I actually spend my summers in a 5th wheel at a campground and my winters on my boat cruising Florida and the Bahamas.

RVing is not without costs. Someone mentioned you don't dock your motorhome but actually you do in the form of park fees. You can "anchor out" at Walmart of Interstate rest stops but most people only do that when they are traveling. Daily rate at The Red Coconut in Ft. Myers Beach $83 to $118 or monthly $550 to $750. It's cheaper inland but not free.
TJC45 likes this.
Old 10-16-2013

jzk is on a distinguished road

I have both. The RV has been pretty cool to go out west, and when I used to fly ultralights it was nice to bring your "house" to the fly-ins, but a sailboat is way cooler. Here is why.

Free anchorages. Places to anchor that are absolutely beautiful. There really isn't places like that to go park your RV. Private "campgrounds" are really just glorified trailer parks. National parks are cool, but again, just rows of RVs parked next to eachother. "Boondocking" on public lands was a close as you got to the "anchorage" thing.

For example, we love south florida. We go down the coast in my dad's sea ray, anchoring at different places along the way and taking the dinghy in. You can have peace and solitude one minute, and be at a salsa bar the next. Lots of very cool options. (Not necessarily a big fan of the Sea Ray, but it is similar to cruising a sailboat without, of course, the sailing part).
TJC45 likes this.
Old 10-16-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
I have both. The RV has been pretty cool to go out west, and when I used to fly ultralights it was nice to bring your "house" to the fly-ins, but a sailboat is way cooler. Here is why.

Free anchorages. Places to anchor that are absolutely beautiful. There really isn't places like that to go park your RV. Private "campgrounds" are really just glorified trailer parks. National parks are cool, but again, just rows of RVs parked next to eachother. "Boondocking" on public lands was a close as you got to the "anchorage" thing.

For example, we love south florida. We go down the coast in my dad's sea ray, anchoring at different places along the way and taking the dinghy in. You can have peace and solitude one minute, and be at a salsa bar the next. Lots of very cool options. (Not necessarily a big fan of the Sea Ray, but it is similar to cruising a sailboat without, of course, the sailing part).
I agree that a boat gives you a way to get away. And, that free anchorage options are only as far as the next point on the coast. One of the big advantages of boating.

I disagree that private campgrounds are glorified trailer parks. In places like the Keys, because of space limitations, units are jammed together. Still, some nice places, even there. Going up and down the coast there are some really nice places to take a motorhome. Places like Raytown Lake in Pa. Anything but a glorified trailer park! And nothing beats having your own bathroom and own bed!

What toy is better is totally in the eye of the beholder.
avenger79 and ShoalFinder like this.
Old 10-17-2013

Halcyon1 is on a distinguished road

Pretty obvious that on a sailing forum more people will vote for the boat!

Pete
Jeff_H likes this.
Old 10-17-2013

khammett is on a distinguished road

This is how to do it! Fast forward to 0:33

ShoalFinder likes this.
Old 10-17-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

I want them all! geez...do I have to pick only one?
Old 10-17-2013

Steve in Idaho is on a distinguished road

This is so easy...

If it's a trailer-sailor, you can use it on land (for sleeping, etc....on the way to the water ) - but your rv won't float.

You can get the sailboat and use a tent and backpack on land (recommended).

How close are you to good water? How fast can you be under way in the sailboat? In my case, I can be sailing a bit sooner than I can find a camping spot on land. If I lived far from good sailing, I might think differently.
miatapaul and TJC45 like this.
Old 10-17-2013

jzk is on a distinguished road

Ocala National Forest Campground was awesome and there is a hot spring there to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
I agree that a boat gives you a way to get away. And, that free anchorage options are only as far as the next point on the coast. One of the big advantages of boating.

I disagree that private campgrounds are glorified trailer parks. In places like the Keys, because of space limitations, units are jammed together. Still, some nice places, even there. Going up and down the coast there are some really nice places to take a motorhome. Places like Raytown Lake in Pa. Anything but a glorified trailer park! And nothing beats having your own bathroom and own bed!

What toy is better is totally in the eye of the beholder.
TJC45 likes this.