Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV? - Page 8 - SailNet Community
View Poll Results: What would you rather own?
Sailboat 99 90.83%
RV 11 10.09%
Motor Yacht 3 2.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

 58Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 135 Old 10-15-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 406
Thanks: 9
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?

BTW, to answer the OPs question - What would you rather see? An RV will get you to inland destinations. A boat will take you along the coast. Both offer the same thing - the opportunity to explore.

Having done both there is no wrong answer. it is purely a personal decision on how you want to spend your time.

As for cost, there are off sets on both sides of the equation. While you won't have to pay to dock your motorhome your boat will never need $3000 worth of tires. So, expense wise it's a six of one type of thing.

Last edited by TJC45; 10-15-2013 at 02:38 PM.
TJC45 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #72 of 135 Old 10-16-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 713
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
While you won't have to pay to dock your motorhome your boat will never need $3000 worth of tires. So, expense wise it's a six of one type of thing.
Right, just $9,000 worth of sails
RainDog and TJC45 like this.
xymotic is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #73 of 135 Old 10-16-2013
Senior Member
 
ebs001's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,205
Thanks: 6
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?

My plan has been to sail until I am too old to sail, then buy a trawler and motor cruise until I'm too old then buy an motor home and land cruise until I'm forced to stop driving.

Currently, I actually spend my summers in a 5th wheel at a campground and my winters on my boat cruising Florida and the Bahamas.

RVing is not without costs. Someone mentioned you don't dock your motorhome but actually you do in the form of park fees. You can "anchor out" at Walmart of Interstate rest stops but most people only do that when they are traveling. Daily rate at The Red Coconut in Ft. Myers Beach $83 to $118 or monthly $550 to $750. It's cheaper inland but not free.
TJC45 likes this.
ebs001 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #74 of 135 Old 10-16-2013
jzk
Senior Member
 
jzk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,362
Thanks: 1
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?

I have both. The RV has been pretty cool to go out west, and when I used to fly ultralights it was nice to bring your "house" to the fly-ins, but a sailboat is way cooler. Here is why.

Free anchorages. Places to anchor that are absolutely beautiful. There really isn't places like that to go park your RV. Private "campgrounds" are really just glorified trailer parks. National parks are cool, but again, just rows of RVs parked next to eachother. "Boondocking" on public lands was a close as you got to the "anchorage" thing.

For example, we love south florida. We go down the coast in my dad's sea ray, anchoring at different places along the way and taking the dinghy in. You can have peace and solitude one minute, and be at a salsa bar the next. Lots of very cool options. (Not necessarily a big fan of the Sea Ray, but it is similar to cruising a sailboat without, of course, the sailing part).
TJC45 likes this.
jzk is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #75 of 135 Old 10-16-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 406
Thanks: 9
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
I have both. The RV has been pretty cool to go out west, and when I used to fly ultralights it was nice to bring your "house" to the fly-ins, but a sailboat is way cooler. Here is why.

Free anchorages. Places to anchor that are absolutely beautiful. There really isn't places like that to go park your RV. Private "campgrounds" are really just glorified trailer parks. National parks are cool, but again, just rows of RVs parked next to eachother. "Boondocking" on public lands was a close as you got to the "anchorage" thing.

For example, we love south florida. We go down the coast in my dad's sea ray, anchoring at different places along the way and taking the dinghy in. You can have peace and solitude one minute, and be at a salsa bar the next. Lots of very cool options. (Not necessarily a big fan of the Sea Ray, but it is similar to cruising a sailboat without, of course, the sailing part).
I agree that a boat gives you a way to get away. And, that free anchorage options are only as far as the next point on the coast. One of the big advantages of boating.

I disagree that private campgrounds are glorified trailer parks. In places like the Keys, because of space limitations, units are jammed together. Still, some nice places, even there. Going up and down the coast there are some really nice places to take a motorhome. Places like Raytown Lake in Pa. Anything but a glorified trailer park! And nothing beats having your own bathroom and own bed!

What toy is better is totally in the eye of the beholder.
avenger79 and ShoalFinder like this.
TJC45 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #76 of 135 Old 10-17-2013
Junior Member
 
Halcyon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 124
Thanks: 52
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?

Pretty obvious that on a sailing forum more people will vote for the boat!

Pete
Jeff_H likes this.

Halcyon Yachts - International Yacht Delivery
Halcyon1 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #77 of 135 Old 10-17-2013 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 2
 
Re: Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?

This is how to do it! Fast forward to 0:33

ShoalFinder likes this.
khammett is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #78 of 135 Old 10-17-2013
Senior Member
 
bfloyd4445's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 382
Thanks: 8
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 2
 
Re: Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?

I want them all! geez...do I have to pick only one?
bfloyd4445 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #79 of 135 Old 10-17-2013
Member
 
Steve in Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 78
Thanks: 22
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?

This is so easy...

If it's a trailer-sailor, you can use it on land (for sleeping, etc....on the way to the water ) - but your rv won't float.

You can get the sailboat and use a tent and backpack on land (recommended).

How close are you to good water? How fast can you be under way in the sailboat? In my case, I can be sailing a bit sooner than I can find a camping spot on land. If I lived far from good sailing, I might think differently.
miatapaul and TJC45 like this.
Steve in Idaho is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #80 of 135 Old 10-17-2013
jzk
Senior Member
 
jzk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,362
Thanks: 1
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?

Ocala National Forest Campground was awesome and there is a hot spring there to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
I agree that a boat gives you a way to get away. And, that free anchorage options are only as far as the next point on the coast. One of the big advantages of boating.

I disagree that private campgrounds are glorified trailer parks. In places like the Keys, because of space limitations, units are jammed together. Still, some nice places, even there. Going up and down the coast there are some really nice places to take a motorhome. Places like Raytown Lake in Pa. Anything but a glorified trailer park! And nothing beats having your own bathroom and own bed!

What toy is better is totally in the eye of the beholder.
TJC45 likes this.
jzk is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ferry collides with sailboat in San Juans; sailboat sinks - Q13 FOX NewsReader News Feeds 0 09-14-2013 06:30 PM
Sailboat Championship from Infinite Dreams brings beautiful sailboat racing to ... - NewsReader News Feeds 0 12-06-2012 02:10 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome