Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Sailboat Deliivery BFS

Hey,

As some of you know, I purchased a 2002 C&C 110. The boat was in Mystic CT, I am in Mt. Sinai, NY. Today was the day to sail the boat the 55nm back home.

I've been following the weather forecast all week and each day was roughly the same: NE wind 15-20. This is good for me because the trip is SW. On Thursday the Saturday forecast was for 10-15 from the NE. On Friday the Saturday forecast was for more wind, 10-15 with gusts up to 20. Then, this morning, the forecast changed again: small craft advisories, winds 15-20 with gusts up to 30. Oh boy, it's going to be a spirited sail.

We (my wife and my two younger kids: daughter 16 and son 12) backed out of the slip around 9:30 and motored down the long channel and into Fishers Island Sound. In the sound I unrolled the headsail and we motor sailed towards home. The weather was pretty nice, temperature in the lwo to mid 60's, clearing sky with sun coming out, and oh yeah, lots of wind.

With the headsail up we motor sailed at around 7 kts. Since this was a delivery and not a pleasure sail I wanted to get home as quickly as possible. With the engine at cruising speed and the sail up we moved smoothly and quickly through the water. The wind continued to build and whitecaps were everywhere.

Around noon I put the engine in neutral and noticed the speed didn't drop at all. So I shut the engine down and enjoyed the silence. Now, out in the wide open Long Island Sound the waves started to build. Since we were still down almost dead down wind, the waves allowed the boat to surf. I expected this boat to be fast, but I had no idea how fast. With 15 kts apparent wind we were sailing at 7-8 kts and surfing down waves at 8-9 kts. When the wind went up the speeds did too: We were sailing at over 10 kts consistently. On my O'day 35, the highest speed I ever saw was 10.1 kts, motorsailing with big following seas. The C&C was hitting 10.5, then 11, then 11.5, then 12.

As the day went on the wind just continued to increase. We would be sailing at 10 kts and see 20-25 kts apparent wind on the wind gauge. The true wind had to be over 30 kts. The waves were getting bigger and closer together. Surfing down them I saw 13 kts and then the highest I could every imagine: 14.6 kts! In a 36' sailboat. And the entire time the boat was easy to steer and quite manageable.

I was very impressed with how the boat handled the rough weather and the speed and ease at which we sailed. We arrived at Mt. Sinai before 5:00 just as the wind was at the peak. Furling the headsail was a challenge, especially with a new boat, but we managed.

The boat needs a good cleaning and some upgrades. I am looking forward to a lot of fun sailing and adding gear as I get more money.

Some shots from the trip are included, including the last 12 hours of weather from the Central Long Island sound weather buoy.

Barry
Attached Thumbnails
Sailboat Deliivery BFS-dscf2953.jpg   Sailboat Deliivery BFS-dscf2957.jpg   Sailboat Deliivery BFS-dscf2959.jpg   Sailboat Deliivery BFS-windspeed.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat Deliivery BFS

cool!
Old 10-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Well done, Barry.. have you sold the ODay?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-13-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a great day! It's great to see the kids smiling in those conditions.

WindAlert was showing gusts up to 32 mph around your area, so you were in some pretty good conditions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 10-13-2013

tweitz is on a distinguished road
Sailboat Deliivery BFS

Nice trip. Good luck with the new boat. How was it docking in those winds?
Old 10-13-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road

sounds like an amazing day on the water
Old 10-14-2013

Loki9 is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear that your trip went well, it sure was blowing on Saturday. Interestingly, I bought that boat too, but then "un-bought" her when I learned she had a different keel than what I was first told. Hope it works out well for you, I really like the C&C 110s.
Old 10-14-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Oh hell yeah!!

This one is going in the Hall of Fame. Barry - can I add it as a "Featured Throwdown" on the BFS site?
BarryL likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-14-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-14-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Oh hell yeah!!

This one is going in the Hall of Fame. Barry - can I add it as a "Featured Throwdown" on the BFS site?
SURE.

I'm trying to edit some video to post too. It's not often you see a 36' displacement boat going 10+ knots with just a headsail.

Barry

Old 10-14-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Awesome. Just let me know when the vid is ready.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40