Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Winter Weather Indicator

The 564 line moving down like a curtain closing summer.
http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/fax/PPAM50.gif

That is one huge scary looking low in the N. Atlantic.

Last edited by smurphny; 10-13-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Winter Weather Indicator

Since this is a 500mb map, 18,000ft, it represents weather conditions in the mid- troposphere and not too much of an indicator of what's happening on the surface.
Try North Atlantic Surface Map, which is the north Atlantic surface map or Atlantic Graphical Tropical Weather Outlook which is a satellite view, and you'll see it's much less of a tightly wound system, at this time, down here where we live.
Old 10-13-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I never liked the North Atlantic, and for several good reasons. When I was a kid in the U.S. Navy our ship seemed to always be going there and ever time we did we got our ass kicked with high winds, cold weather and towering seas. It was a nasty place to be on a good day. Never once in four years saw the North Atlantic calm.

Unfortunately, the Florida Keys are not in the cards for me yet - but one day soon!

Gary
Old 10-13-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Since this is a 500mb map, 18,000ft, it represents weather conditions in the mid- troposphere and not too much of an indicator of what's happening on the surface.
Try North Atlantic Surface Map, which is the north Atlantic surface map or Atlantic Graphical Tropical Weather Outlook which is a satellite view, and you'll see it's much less of a tightly wound system, at this time, down here where we live.
The 500mb is a great indicator of system movement. It gives a very useful indication of the general trend of weather, much more so than surface analysis charts which are useful for current weather conditions and MAYBE a couple of days out. When you see the 564 line moving south, it is a reliable indicator of colder, windy weather with a lot more northern wind direction. That's specifically why I posted this particular chart.

There is a good explanation of how to use the 500mb charts here:Mariners Weather Log Vol. 52, No. 3, December 2008
Old 10-14-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough

I have another indicator, probably a result of great divide between summer and winter - the 564 line. Thats the line of the 'equinoctal gales'.

Indicator - Geese are now arriving en-mass on the Chesapeake. Nothing moves geese as well as iced-over water/ponds/lakes. Lots of loons and black backed gulls, too.
Old 10-14-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

Have been hearing geese flying over for a couple of weeks now, headed your way. We're past leaf-peeping season up here. One good blow and most of the leaves will be down. Then we'll be in what we call "stick season," a quiet time of year when all the tourists go away in between fall and ski season.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.