Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2013

Magnolia is on a distinguished road
Good morning! Game change plan.....

Well, we've made a big decision this past week, we are selling our Columbia 8.7.

Why? When we bought the boat last Oct., we thought we would be here in our hometown area for a few more years. My husbands sister & bil were getting ready to leave on their sailboat for the Caribbean, my FIL was ill so we thought we would be here to help him out with dr. appts, etc. We thought we would still have him for at least 5 more years. And, our son & his family lived in California. So we bought our nice boat and figured we'd hang out on the lake a few days a week, long weekends, etc.

Well, my father-in-law passed away (may he RIP), and our kids moved to Ohio. That's how things roll, right?

So now we are going to buy a bigger sailboat, one with room for 3 more passengers comfortably.

Anyway, I have a question....Would You, as a Buyer, prefer to look at a boat that has already been pulled and is in the boat yard, or would you prefer it in the water?

We are getting ready to winterize the engine and fresh water tank - so this time of year we wouldn't be able to start the engine anyway, correct? We think we'll take a video of the engine running and purring like a kitten. That might be helpful to a potential buyer.

We are going up next week and stripping all of our personal effects out of the boat, giving her a deep cleaning and take pictures to post.

Anyway - I would love your thoughts on how we should stage the boat - In a Slip or On the Hard...to sell her.

Thanks!!
Old 10-14-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road
Re: Good morning! Game change plan.....

I bought mine on the hard and winterized but trusted the PO that it was a good running motor. He was available to help commission if needed so I was comfortable with his word.

I think that on the hard is the best way to inspect the boat and you can always run the motor from a bucket with an antifreeze mix if a serious buyer is ready.

Just my $.02
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Catch 22.... on the hard everything's visible for inspection, buyer might avoid a haulout charge...

OTOH afloat she's 'ready', ostensibly, for a sea trial should a deal proceed.

Have heard of deals made in the Fall contingent on a satisfactory sea trial upon launch in the spring.. seems to me this would tie up both parties (presumably funds withheld pending..) far too long.

Not suggesting you need to/should take every lookyloo for a sail, quite the opposite, some commitment money needs to be on the table first. But if you can 'consumate' the sale in a few weeks rather than several months that seems better..

Keep in mind that we leave our boats afloat and use-ready year round so practices here will differ.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-14-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

It depends in part on your price. If your asking price is low enough, leave it in the water for several reasons:

1. It will sell quickly and you need not be concerned about long term storage.
2. The buyer may be satisfied with an insurance survey instead of a full survey so no haul out will be necessary.
3. Your sea trial may be a big selling point for the boat, which will likely be bought by a first time buyer, or small boat sailor moving up.
4. If the buyer hauls at his or her own expense, then contract negotiations break down, you can always leave it up on land for the next one.

If you are in no hurry, want the highest price, and have the luxury of waiting, take your video of the engine and some demonstration sails, then haul and store so you can wait for the right buyer.

In this area, prices are still falling, so you do not want to get caught behind the curve of never pricing it low enough. The long term prospects for realizing your purchase price are bleak - sailing seems to be a dying sport and activity for the indefinite future.

I bought my boat in the water and was perfectly satisfied with a test sail, engine demonstration and an insurance survey only.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 10-14-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-14-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

If the KY winter allows you to leave the boat in the water, I would do just that to sell her. There is a reasonable possibility that the buyer may not even survey. I don't know what the market is like in your area for 35+ yr old plastic classics but here in New England there are lots on the market. If one wants to sell one reasonably fast it has to be priced aggressively.

My buyer purchased in the fall with the agreement that I haul the boat for winter storage and if the bottom passed his inspection he would buy the boat and pay for the haul/storage himself. If he found something wrong the deal was off.

I purchased the boat a decade earlier under exactly the same terms.

My current boat was on the hard but the interior was very clean and ready to go. A previous potential buyer had done a survey/sea trail but backed out because of the laundry list of things that came up (most simple fixes, just lots of them; common on used boats).

Showing the boat in the water, smelling not so boatish with all the cushions in place is not a bad idea. Often, buying a boat is a joint/family decision. You know if your boat is well maintained and will pass a survey or simple haul out inspection. If it is, then the idea is to get the boat to the point were the buyer is going to be that interested.

If you are really serious, get your own survey done. Address all the little things that come up right away, cross them off the list then have the paper survey prepared. It will impress any potential buyer and save them the expense of an insurance survey. Leave copies of the survey on the boat so that potential buyers can take it home and read it.

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Since a survey should include an out of water inspection, being on the hard isn't a bad thing. As for testing the engine, most yards I know would hang a boat in the slings to test the engine for a modest fee.
Old 10-14-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

IMHO it doesn't really matter. It might be a little cheaper for the buyer if the boat has been hauled and is on dry land (most yard storage deals include launching, so the buyer may not have to pay for a haul out). However, if the boat is in the water and rigged the buyer can more easily check and verify all the systems before a survey.

I am in a similar position (trying to sell a boat now) and my boat will spend the winter in the water (and with the topsides covered). For me, it is much cheaper to leave the boat in the water.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-14-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I substantially prefer to see the boat, while in the water. One gets a better feel for it, for starters. Plus, you can climb the mast to inspect rigging, pull the sails out, run the motor, and check for leaks. A boat on the hard is much easier to pretty up and hide her issues. Hauling her to see if she has any trouble on the bottom is pretty easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-14-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road

I don't know if you ever win in the situations. If it's on the hard, the buyer wants it in the water, if it's in the water they complain about having it hauled and the expense of it.

If it was me, I'd leave it in the water and price it aggressively so it sells and you can move on.
Old 10-14-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

I prefer to see a boat in the water--for most of the reasons Minnewaska listed, and just because boats always look a little bit wounded to me when they're on the hard.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright