Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Adventure Sailing

Just watched about 30 minutes of the Mike Perham sailing around the world at 16 documentary. Credit where credit is due in leaaving the dock but I thought this piece served very well in the discussion and distuingishing between adventure sailing and cruising.

First let me say I thought the whole thing to be unsavory and unimpressive in high notes. No Sea trial, complete and utter reliance on auto pilot and electronic navigation. I saw more sitting inside the cabin holding back tears.

I guess I just find it a wee bit depressing that one can sail alone around the world without even knowing how to chart a course. I suppose its the romanitc notions of sailing and surviving the elements by self reliance.

So i think cruising is vacationing on a sailboat. Plug in the destination, engage the autopilot, unfurl the sails and get motoring when your not making it fast enough. You can be both an adventure sailor and cruiser it just depends how your sailing.

Adventure sailing, which I still hold to be the true way to sail around the world and recieve any real merit is sailing. I mean sailing as it comes. Plotting, beating to, alternates, anchorages, storm jibs, wind vanes or an expert knowledge of your boats electronics including the spares proper. Sailing to seclusion. Finding your own way and sailing there with what the oceans provide in way of windage. The 40 year ago sailing pretty much.

There is a really cool thing called technology and ive been on boats frequently that have all the best gizmos. Id love a both with all of them. I just want to be able to do both and it bothers me to a degree that people can put down enough money and almost sit the whole way sailing around the world alone. Not one noon sight, no astronomy talk, no rounding the cape ( a big DQ in my book), no navigation, complete reliance on technology with no ability to work or repair said technology.

All in all was not a good watch. I hope to attempt something of the same variety in a few years time. You have to remember that if you always keep one eye on the destination then you only have one eye for the journey.

What do you all think of being able to attempt sailing records like sailing alone around the world with a cruising approach as opposed to an adventure one?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Adventure Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post

What do you all think of being able to attempt sailing records like sailing alone around the world with a cruising approach as opposed to an adventure one?
His boat, his way of sailing. Your boat, your way of sailing.

It might not be my way, but your way isn't for me to judge, only to hope you do it safely without killing yourself or others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-14-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

It's a continuum, not an either/or.

Please sail around the world with no self steering gear, no electronics, and no motor. Come back and tell us how it went.

I am a coastal sailor and experienced in navigating without any electronics. I can balance my boat and let it sail itself pretty well without electronics. I don't typically use the motor much on long passages. However I have the means to do all of these things, but also admit that the autopilot and GPS are quite handy and do get used.

Since I only have coastal experience (which also seems to be your experience level) I have no place to judge how others have gotten across oceans. They've done it and I haven't.
Old 10-14-2013

glassdad is on a distinguished road

Why pick on electronics as technology you don't like. How about excluding fiberglass. It is too high tech. How about excluding aluminum masts? The old timers would have loved an aluminum mast.

Sailing is an individual pursuit. What ever floats your boat is good.
Old 10-14-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

It was MUCH harder than the movie made it look no matter how well funded it was

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 10-14-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road

I suppose it's like climbing Everest. Modern technology and training has made what used to be seen as a nearly impossible task almost, but not quite, routine. Yet it's still very risky and people do die.

Technology lessens the degree of the accomplishment involved in circumnavigation no doubt, but it's still an accomplishment. To me part of what makes something an adventure vs. just a vacation is the degree to which one steps out of their comfort zone and the degree to which it's a new experience. All the electronics in the world wouldn't make circumnavigation just another vacation for me.

Still, I understand what you're getting at Harborless. Part of the attraction of sailing vs motoring is the connection with the past. Letting nature provide the propulsion, yet managing to complete a journey using your wits even when nature is not always cooperating.
smackdaddy likes this.

Last edited by unimacs; 10-14-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-14-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

I must admit to using a transistor radio (technology) to home in on destinations when weather disallowed sextant sights (pre sat nav) but I sure appreciate the modern stuff. I even use my autopilot under power. Don't need it under sail. But the real kick is looking up at the masts I cut in the forest, the gaff held aloft by the blocks I made ,,all full and bye. There's the connection to the past you don't catch on video.(either side of the camera)
Old 10-15-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

It's all been one big adventure!
smackdaddy likes this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 10-15-2013

gamayun is on a distinguished road

I went to a seminar the other day on the single-handed Transpac (San Francisco to Kauai). Someone spoke about how most of the boats and their skippers are just regular folks, but every so often the fancy boat decides to play, too. It was obvious from all the stories that evening that there's a deep sense of satisfaction that comes with testing yourself and your boat, however you decide to do it. But generally the high-priced, high-tech boats go home right after the end of the race and don't stick around to bask in that accomplishment -- you know, the part about having done it and not about whether you got an award? Maybe they still feel that glow, maybe not; who cares? What courses through your own heart at the end of the day is really the only thing that matters.
smackdaddy likes this.

s/v Kynntana
Freedom 38
Old 10-15-2013

saldrich is on a distinguished road

You got to have a sense of adventure in life.