Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road
Mast storage

I'm putting the boat up for the winter. The yard I store the boat in cant store the mast. Says its too long so I store it on a rack next door. I just bought the boat this year and the po said he usually covered it but did not last year. He just took all the lines home with him. My main question is should I wrap it or leave it? I will be storing the furler there also. Should I take the lines out or leave them? Any other advice on storing my mast? I was thinking of waxing it and covering it with a few tarps, but not sure what is best. Its in se MI so it gets alot of snow and cold.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Re: Mast storage

I don't cover mine. But, I don't have much expensive hardware on my spar. I would take everything off that you can that could be damaged by more exposure to the cold and ice. Some wrap their stick in cellophane (steady, boys... steady). I would think it important to let some air in and out to prevent condensation. Others may have some better ideas. A few years ago I built a wood frame, and stored the mast on the boat. Used it for the spine of the frame for the winter cover.
Old 10-15-2013

Yea, the po did not cover last year and when looking at it with the surveyor he noticed a few pins for the shrouds were missing. the po was all confused saying he had them there last year. The surveyor called the mast rack the "hard ware store" I guess its not uncommon for folks to help themselves.
Old 10-15-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't worry about a few pins going missing. It's annoying but not unheard of.

Living in the land of year round sailing I have no direct experience, but if would be hesitant to wrap the mast up tight in cellophane. Standing water can cause poultice corrosion, and if water were to freeze inside the mast you could do physical damage to it as well.
Old 10-15-2013

seaner97 is on a distinguished road

A few years ago I built a wood frame, and stored the mast on the boat. Used it for the spine of the frame for the winter cover.[/QUOTE]

That's what I do. Just be sure to have vents in your shrinkwrap and enough clearance for the companionway if you want to do any work on her before the season starts.
Old 10-15-2013

DrB will become famous soon enough
Cover some stuff.

Take all your halyards off, rinse them in fresh water, hang them to dry, and then coil them and put them away. Take off your spreaders and bring them home. If you have electronics (radar dome, windex, windometer cups, antennas etc.) disconnect and bring home. If you can't disconnect, buy a few 55 gal trash bags and put them over the top of the mast and your furler (if you have one) like a sock. Tie the open tight around the mast with strapping tape or duct tape. Don't tie directly to mast unless you want to clean up dried adhesive in the spring. I also take a garbage bag and slit the along the side edges. Unfold and wrap around the mast winches if you have any.

Make sure you secure the stays well and many places alone the mast to help them from flopping all over the place. Store the mast on three of four saw horses depending on it's length.

DrB
Old 10-15-2013

Yea but the pins took several days to locate and about $30. The mast is stored on two horses per the yard. and its rack. Not sure why I cant just store the mast with the boat. I was told by the po that the yard owner cant store the mast and the yard owner told me because of the extra four feet that he could not do the mast. Really not sure why. I was told to keep it at the marina next door. Maybe cuz they have a crane and the yard owner does not. Keel steped mast so longer than the other boats that are kept there. Come to think of it there is another t30 sitting in that yard that he told me has been there since it was brand new. Cant seem to remember if the mast is with it or not. Will have to check tommorow.