SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Boat name advice (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/104757-boat-name-advice.html)

krazzz 10-15-2013 05:12 PM

Boat name advice

I just purchased a boat and I am looking to name it. Originally I was going to name it after my daughter's nick name and call it "Sweet Baby Rae." But in a recent turn of events I have changed my mind. My uncle was a huge help in fabricating a trailer to go pick up my new boat. We spent many full days working on it. I told him that I would pay him back with unlimited rides on my boat. My uncle just passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack. I feel a huge loss and I am so disappointed that I will not be able to take him sailing as we were both looking forward to it so much. I have decided to name my boat in his honor. I know boats are traditionally named after women but he was such an important person in my life that I feel compelled to do it. Plus this way I can keep my promise and give him those unlimited rides on my boat. His name is John Edward Allison. He was also the local Fire Chief so I might incorporate that into the name. I'm just looking for feedback on some of my name choices. (Please, if you only have something negative to add, keep it you yourself. That is not something I want to deal with right now.)

Here are some of the name variations that I have come up with for my boat:

John Edward
John E. Allison
Chief John
Chief John E. Allison

Thoughts? Suggestions?

caberg 10-15-2013 05:20 PM

Re: Boat name advice

Allison

Personally, I enjoy name tributes which are not obvious to the average person. No one would guess the backstory of the simple name "Allison" until you tell them about the great man behind it.

krazzz 10-15-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caberg (Post 1105236)
Allison

Personally, I enjoy name tributes which are not obvious to the average person. No one would guess the backstory of the simple name "Allison" until you tell them about the great man behind it.

Well I would love that too however my parents kind of ruined that option and named my sister Allison. I'd hate to name a boat after her. haha. Don't want it going to her head.

I also just thought about the name: J. E. Allison

Sabreman 10-15-2013 05:33 PM

I second J. E. Allison.

There is a long tradition naming boats after men, especially using initials.

I named our dinghy after my dad. I call it Li'l Mike.

nighthawk 10-15-2013 05:47 PM

I think J E Allison would be a very appropriate name and a great tribute to the man. It would help to ensure that he was with you each time you cast off.

@ Sabreman, I can't follow your dinghy naming tradition tho--There's no way I'm paddling around in a dighy labeled "Li'l Dick", whether named after my father or not!!

manatee 10-15-2013 06:18 PM

My condolences to you & your family on your loss.

I vote for Chief J. E. Allison, or J. E. Allison.

Best wishes.
- Gary

Siamese 10-15-2013 06:32 PM

Chief

OPossumTX 10-15-2013 06:40 PM

SV J. E. Allison sounds good and very respectful to me.

Have FUN!
O'

miatapaul 10-15-2013 07:06 PM

I like J. E. Allison or simply Chief, perhaps your dingy could be Chief and the boat J E Allison then you have it all in there. Always good to have the name something really meaningful. I see some names and think, come on don't you have a bit more to your life?

smurphny 10-15-2013 08:36 PM

Simply CHIEF would be easy to say clearly on the radio, easy to fit on the transom and everyone who knew him would know exactly who the name honored.