Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: "Paying" friends wanting to go on the boat.

Denise,
Dave Basile runs a successful charter business out of Forked River on Barnegat Bay with a 35 Irwin. I don't know Dave well, only to say hello in the bar but he seems like a nice guy who would be approachable.

He would be able to tell you exactly what you can and cannot do and what you'd need in terms of licensing and insurance and what the financial realities are. I know he's very happy doing the charters.

His web site is Jersey Coastal Adventures ~ Sail The Forked River & Barnegat Bay, NJ.

Jim

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2013

Uricanejack is on a distinguished road

It depends if you intend to run a buisness or just share costs.

Just sharing the cost is perfectly leagal as long as you are not making a profit.
It can be a big problem if you fudge it.

best to speak to your insurance broker. explain what you intend to do.
i would think you would be ok with the following.
Don't adertise. Just take people you know.
Figure a rough break down of fuel, food, beverages, and aditional cost for visiting marinas.
Divide by no of persons and each chips in.
if you have agroup of regular friends.
you can even split your home mooring costs.
and possibly get help with maintainance
without actualy running a buisness or voiding your insurance.

personaly I don't. I do apreciate it when friends bring a nice bottle of malt. some offer to pay for fuel but I dont burn much.
Old 10-15-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

How about sailing into the middle of your water way, then dropping all sails and as you bob around, pass around the donation plate. After the plate is full, raise the sails and continue on.

I would also worry about liability issues. In the past I have taken people sailing whom I have only known for a short time, or maybe just met (I do not charge, or ask or take donations). I have become more concered about doing this as I am concerned what happens if they get hurt. I know some of these folks have no health insurace.
Old 10-15-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

A Cautionary Tale:

Catamaran sinks near Miami Seaquarium
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-15-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
you can even split your home mooring costs.
Your mileage may vary but this may be crossing the line and put you into a commercial venture.

If you have close friends you may be able to sell partnerships but that would require an attorney.

Another guy to talk to is:
http://www.havencharters.com/

I've chartered from them. This way the legality is well defined.
Old 10-15-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Is getting your six-pack out of the question? I suspect the bump in insurance would not be insignificant, so you would have to be willing to run a few just to break even.

Personally, I've dabbled over the years in getting paid for some of the things I just enjoy doing. It always ruined them.
davidpm, smurphny, Dfok and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-15-2013
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Personally, I've dabbled over the years in getting paid for some of the things I just enjoy doing. It always ruined them.
Never try to turn your hobby/sport/recreation into a paying job....

It'll just force you to find a new hobby, sport or recreational activity...
davidpm, avenger79, Dfok and 2 others like this.
Old 10-15-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Splitting your normal marina berth would require some pretty serious math to keep from crossing the line to commercial operation. I don't know of any interpretation on this from the USCG, but there is a parallel case from the FAA involving an aircraft. The decision is basically that you can ascribe 1/365th of your annual slip cost for each day your friend is with you, then divide this by the number of people who are on the boat that day... Then bill them for that amount.
davidpm likes this.

Last edited by Stumble; 10-16-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
It's been mentioned and asked of me a few times, usually after I go off ranting how hurt and angry I am about my situation of not being able to afford to keep me, my life, house, and boat Like I did when I got the boat almost 10 yrs ago.

"Denise; why don't you just take people out on your boat and have them pay you for the day, weekend, trip, etc?"

I usually mumble something like "I would need a captain's license to do that."

I actually don't know this and wonder, now that I'm looking at the winter and lots of time to decide if I want to sell or find a way to at least break even with keeping her on the Chesapeake. I do quite well with other lady friends and many of them have suggested it's a cheap way to get away compared to motels hotels and driving long distance. Assuming I could find a way to get the word out, would I be breaking some kind of law? Basically the rational would be $ to offset the cost of having the boat for "guests"

I know the responsibility of things going wrong is great.. yet it's just as great with "just friends" on board too.

I'm tending to think and feel it's a BAD idea because if it were that easy everyone would be doing it.

Your input will be much valued on this friends!
went through that with some attorney friends. They all agreed there is nothing wrong with requiring guests to pay expenses. You just cant charge them a fee or rate without a license. Just figure out what your expenses are then divide it up however you wish. That will insure you incur no out of pocket expenses for the trip.
Old 10-15-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

thanks everyone! It's pretty much what I already guessed.. Just taking friends out on your boat implies your the captain and responsible for them. paying or not.

my current "project"!