Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: "Paying" friends wanting to go on the boat.

When I first bought my boat, I was looking into getting a 1/2 partner. Talked to some of the boat owners at my harbor and there comment was "it never works out". I never went the partner route as I am sure it would not work out. Say the partner over heats the engine due to a clogged raw water strainer. Say the engine's head is warped and you are looking at a $4,000 dollar repair. Will you and the partner split the cost? Will you ask the partner to pay the full $4,000? Say the partner runs the boat around and then get off, and never tells you about it, or the potential damage? There may be "good" honest partners out there, but probably few and far between.

I also thought about getting 6 pack license, but have no time to deal all the marketing and legal issues. On top of that, most tourist these days are real demanding. Had one freind that did the charter business and he got out as the tourist insisted he chase the humpback whales in order to get a good pic.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Here's someone who should have read this tread...

VIDEO: Cat sinking spurs questions
Old 10-17-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

denise-
Something many people overlook is that when the USCG says guests may "contribute", contributions are always voluntary. Museums found this out the hard way, if they are required to let the public in (because they receive public funding) then they are also required to let them in even if someone does not want to "contribute" the suggested donation. Ditto for "guests", if the arrangement is that they can and shall pay you--that's not a voluntary contribution.
The big bugaboo here in the US is of course litigation and liability. A passing boat throws a wake, your guest busts a rib on the cabin table, guess who's going to get the bill? Or they slip in the companionway. And anyone else, like your insurer, will say gee, no, we didn't write a commercial policy.
Now some folks have skirted that, they say "Oh, my friend was..." and get away with the fraud, which is what it is. Depends on how you feel about these things and how your karma is.

Odds are that you have enough logged days on the water to go for a six-pack, and the "knowledge" is probably something you're already 95% up on anyhow. Airbnb and similar operations are actually negotiating with tax men all over right now, and the bottom line on that is that "recreational" innkeepers are going to wind up conforming to some rules and paying regular taxes and such, pretty much all over, pretty much soon.

But if you can figure out a business plan...or a compromise that doesn't give you worries...And of course, if you don't mind dealing with the public and all sorts of strangers making demands on you or your boat. Or your spare bedroom.
Old 10-17-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
I'd say concern about litigation risk is a valid reason in itself, but there is also real risk of civil or criminal penalties:

Coast Guard, Illinois officials crack down on illegal charter boats - Professional Mariner - Web Exclusive 2012

Note the part in the news report where the vessel has been confiscated...
Thoroughly agree but once upon a time such informal arrangements were not of any concern for the authorities. I'm talking about talking on one or two people as paying crew or even students. If you started a regular tour operation in an out of survvey vessel and without the correct licenses then on your own head be it though twenty, thirty years back even operations of that type were often ignored .... unless the boat sank.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-17-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I gotta say y'all sure can take a topic and run it out a a tangent!

It all comes down to friends wanting to help defray the costs of them using or going on your boat. I'm sure most of us don't think our friends are out to get us when we go on a "3 hour tour" but yes.. it's possible for anyone to "turn" on you. boat, car, hell even sitting down to dinner and someone chokes on a chicken bone!

My YC dues are paid for the year. So I'm good until next year this time. Hopefully find a way to get friends interested in having access to a boat on Chesapeake Bay. Or sell, I'm kind of sad that the passion for sailing seems to have lost it's flavor.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-17-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
I gotta say y'all sure can take a topic and run it out a a tangent!

It all comes down to friends wanting to help defray the costs of them using or going on your boat. I'm sure most of us don't think our friends are out to get us when we go on a "3 hour tour" but yes.. it's possible for anyone to "turn" on you. boat, car, hell even sitting down to dinner and someone chokes on a chicken bone!

My YC dues are paid for the year. So I'm good until next year this time. Hopefully find a way to get friends interested in having access to a boat on Chesapeake Bay. Or sell, I'm kind of sad that the passion for sailing seems to have lost it's flavor.
What the heck... Sometimes it is best just to move on. Interest change, we change, and life moves on. Sometimes it's best to leave your boyfriend/girlfriend, wife, job, house, apartment, boat, or town you live in. But your dog, never leave your dog....
Bene505 and BentSailor like this.
Old 10-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I......I'm kind of sad that the passion for sailing seems to have lost it's flavor.
That stinks. Reducing the cost isn't going to fix that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-18-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
That stinks. Reducing the cost isn't going to fix that.
Well I think this is the root. I think since it will not cost a lot more to keep the boat for the year, keep at it. You may just be hitting a lull in your enthusiasm. I for one would miss you around here as I think you makes some excellent posts. You do seem to have a real passion for sailing, perhaps it was just a bad season? Your area seemed to have a rough season as there were a lot of posts of floating debris, and there was some strange weather. Seems to me too that it may not really be cost but a waning of interest. I do have to say I am very impressed with your wood work, perhaps that is taking over the sailing bug? May just be temporary, may be permanent. Only time will tell but give it the fair chance of time, as you have a nice boat and I know you would miss her.
Old 10-18-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
I'd say concern about litigation risk is a valid reason in itself, but there is also real risk of civil or criminal penalties:

Coast Guard, Illinois officials crack down on illegal charter boats - Professional Mariner - Web Exclusive 2012

Note the part in the news report where the vessel has been confiscated...
talk about the land of the free, the freedom part has been slowly slipping away since the day the declaration of independence was signed. Every year we put 5000 new laws on the books with almost none removed each of which seems harmless but each in fact chips away at our individual freedom. All done to use for our own good, so they say.
Old 10-18-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

D-,

Regarding getting a co-owner. I had though of this myself; but, I want things on my boat done my way. I do all my own maintenance, and I did not want to be chasing a partner down about oil changes, or electrical work, and I wouldn't want it done without me.

Put another way; I decided that for me, half of a boat, would not float.
bfloyd4445 likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.