SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

"Paying" friends wanting to go on the boat.

10K views 72 replies 39 participants last post by  bfloyd4445 
#1 ·
It's been mentioned and asked of me a few times, usually after I go off ranting how hurt and angry I am about my situation of not being able to afford to keep me, my life, house, and boat Like I did when I got the boat almost 10 yrs ago.

"Denise; why don't you just take people out on your boat and have them pay you for the day, weekend, trip, etc?"

I usually mumble something like "I would need a captain's license to do that."

I actually don't know this and wonder, now that I'm looking at the winter and lots of time to decide if I want to sell or find a way to at least break even with keeping her on the Chesapeake. I do quite well with other lady friends and many of them have suggested it's a cheap way to get away compared to motels hotels and driving long distance. Assuming I could find a way to get the word out, would I be breaking some kind of law? Basically the rational would be $ to offset the cost of having the boat for "guests"

I know the responsibility of things going wrong is great.. yet it's just as great with "just friends" on board too.

I'm tending to think and feel it's a BAD idea because if it were that easy everyone would be doing it.

Your input will be much valued on this friends!

See less See more
#65 ·
I gotta say y'all sure can take a topic and run it out a a tangent!

It all comes down to friends wanting to help defray the costs of them using or going on your boat. I'm sure most of us don't think our friends are out to get us when we go on a "3 hour tour" but yes.. it's possible for anyone to "turn" on you. boat, car, hell even sitting down to dinner and someone chokes on a chicken bone!

My YC dues are paid for the year. So I'm good until next year this time. Hopefully find a way to get friends interested in having access to a boat on Chesapeake Bay. Or sell, I'm kind of sad that the passion for sailing seems to have lost it's flavor.

#66 ·
I gotta say y'all sure can take a topic and run it out a a tangent!

It all comes down to friends wanting to help defray the costs of them using or going on your boat. I'm sure most of us don't think our friends are out to get us when we go on a "3 hour tour" but yes.. it's possible for anyone to "turn" on you. boat, car, hell even sitting down to dinner and someone chokes on a chicken bone!

My YC dues are paid for the year. So I'm good until next year this time. Hopefully find a way to get friends interested in having access to a boat on Chesapeake Bay. Or sell, I'm kind of sad that the passion for sailing seems to have lost it's flavor.
What the heck... Sometimes it is best just to move on. Interest change, we change, and life moves on. Sometimes it's best to leave your boyfriend/girlfriend, wife, job, house, apartment, boat, or town you live in. But your dog, never leave your dog....

#70 ·
D-,

Regarding getting a co-owner. I had though of this myself; but, I want things on my boat done my way. I do all my own maintenance, and I did not want to be chasing a partner down about oil changes, or electrical work, and I wouldn't want it done without me.

Put another way; I decided that for me, half of a boat, would not float.

#71 ·
wow.. guys.. I'm not dying! LOL I'll never leave Sailnet either! Paul thank you for the compliments too!
I've really been making lots of sawdust the last few days and I'm feeling better about things. Apparently woodworking is good therapy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.