Circumnavigating the world with NO prior sailing experience ever before - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Re: Circumnavigating the world with NO prior sailing experience ever before

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Well, it doesn't show me that, at all...

That boat appears pretty seriously tricked out for high latitude sailing... I suspect the owner is pretty experienced, and the guy making the video is more or less along for the ride...

For the life of me, I can't fathom the compulsion by some around here to find "proof" that one can sail around the world with NO prior experience... Sure, it's been done, just as people have made it to the top of Everest with minimal prior climbing experience... What's the point? Are you suggesting such is the recommended way to go about such ventures?

Also, I think it's bad Karma to speak of a circumnavigation such as this almost as if it's a done deal... If I were sailing around the world, I'd try to refrain from calling it a 'circumnavigation', or suggesting the trip would be 'proof' of anything, until it was actually completed... Jeanne Socrates' first attempt at a circumnavigation ended on a Mexican beach less than 100 miles from crossing her outbound track, after all... When speaking of any voyage, one should always strive to heed the wisdom of Yogi, as in: "It ain't over, 'till it's over"...
When I hear of someone doing this sort of thing I wonder if they are a daredevil type like, whats his name, Evil Kinevil? Then I wonder about his IQ. Third I think of myself, a person that has embarked upon many projects, ventures alone and with no prior experience for the most part successfully. Once or twice I almost killed myself. The fact is anything can be accomplished if one approaches it cautiously and with the proper mind set and materials.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
The fact is anything can be accomplished if one approaches it cautiously and with the proper mind set and materials.
True but I don't think simply buying a boat and setting off for the Horn and points south qualifies.

Good luck to them - brass balls indeed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
True but I don't think simply buying a boat and setting off for the Horn and points south qualifies.

Good luck to them - brass balls indeed.
chuckle....has anyone done that? The guy mentioned in this thread dosent qualify because he obviously has access to a well equipped vessel and its owner whom I am sure knows how to sail
Old 10-20-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Circumnavigations are often spoken of in some circles in hushed tones - the pinnacle of sailing when in actual fact, a circumnav is nothing more that a large collection of "sailing from one place to the next". It's like going sailing every weekend except you leave from one place and arrive at a different place. The second trip is easier than the first and so it accrues.

String these individual trips together and suddenly, you have a circumnav. If the voyage is done right, the totally inexperienced will be somewhat experienced by the time they have to do their first ocean crossing.

Also, one shouldn't use the terms "at sea for four years" and "inexperienced" in the same sentence.

Still, Antarctica, yes well. firstly you have to have a desire to go there and if you do, you have to have large ones.

I don't have the desire so I don't have to lay claim to large ones or the lack thereof.
christian.hess likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 10-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Circumnavigations are often spoken of in some circles in hushed tones - the pinnacle of sailing when in actual fact, a circumnav is nothing more that a large collection of "sailing from one place to the next". It's like going sailing every weekend except you leave from one place and arrive at a different place. The second trip is easier than the first and so it accrues.

String these individual trips together and suddenly, you have a circumnav. If the voyage is done right, the totally inexperienced will be somewhat experienced by the time they have to do their first ocean crossing.

Also, one shouldn't use the terms "at sea for four years" and "inexperienced" in the same sentence.

Still, Antarctica, yes well. firstly you have to have a desire to go there and if you do, you have to have large ones.

I don't have the desire so I don't have to lay claim to large ones or the lack thereof.
so many people sail a few miles, then fly away for a period of time, returning to do a little more sailing using this pattern until they have "sail around the world". To me this dosent qualify as a circumnavigation of the globe. If a guy stocks up on his beer then takes off stopping here and there to rest and make repairs and eventually returns to his starting point that would be a circumnavigation
Old 10-21-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
so many people sail a few miles, then fly away for a period of time, returning to do a little more sailing using this pattern until they have "sail around the world". To me this dosent qualify as a circumnavigation of the globe. If a guy stocks up on his beer then takes off stopping here and there to rest and make repairs and eventually returns to his starting point that would be a circumnavigation
Yeah, I'm not sure about that.

A full sail around the world should take IMO at least three years. I know that I "raced" across the Pacific to get my boat home and it took me nearly three months. To do that same trip quietly would have taken me at least 8 to 10 months (weather aside). And that's only a third of a full world trip. There is still an awful lot to see.

But not many folks want to be away from "home" for three years so a few trips back an forth at 600kn instead of 6kn is necessary. AFAIAC if you cross three oceans and visit 5 continents you have completed a circumnavigation. If that takes a few years, well, isn't that the essence of cruising?

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 10-21-2013
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

If I can sail a boat, anyone can.
killarney_sailor likes this.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 10-21-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I'm telling ya, Buy a used Hobie 16, grab some coconuts, a plastic milk jug and a spool or two of fishing line and take off.

By the time a tanker finds you and brings you back you'll have plenty of experience.
Old 10-21-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I'm telling ya, Buy a used Hobie 16, grab some coconuts, a plastic milk jug and a spool or two of fishing line and take off.

By the time a tanker finds you and brings you back you'll have plenty of experience.
Yeah, but check out the latest issue of CRUISING WORLD first...

Sign of the times, in their current "Safety at Sea" issue, there's an article titled "The Freighter's Here! Now What?"

Old 10-21-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Most important thing is the vessel aand its equiptment.
Id sail around the world on that boat, not on mine. Too small, no wind vanne, being biggest concerns.
Kudos to them. Drakke passage isnt for day sailors. Id never do it not because of the sailing conditions but bc of the temp conditions. Way too cold for me!