SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Circumnavigating the world with NO prior sailing experience ever before (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/104764-circumnavigating-world-no-prior-sailing-experience-ever-before.html)

saldrich 10-15-2013 09:47 PM

Circumnavigating the world with NO prior sailing experience ever before

This story right here just goes to show you that you can just buy a sailboat and take off around the world even if you haven't ever stepped on a sailboat before.

Martin Noaksson from Dals-Ed, Sweden decided two years ago to leave his life behind and sail around the world on a 38 ft. sailboat with no prior experience.

In 2009, Martin and his friend Andreas started their journey by sailing from gothenberg through Europe. They then traveled down the coast of Africa, across the Atlantic Ocean to Brazil then later made their way down south through Uruguay, Argentina and ultimately to Ushuaia, the most southern city in the world, where he and I met. Tomorrow they are planning on sailing through the Drake Passage for 5 days to Antarctica, a journey only a few brave souls sail per year.

bfloyd4445 10-15-2013 09:52 PM

Re: Circumnavigating the world with NO prior sailing experience ever before

Quote:

Originally Posted by saldrich (Post 1105443)
This story right here just goes to show you that you can just buy a sailboat and take off around the world even if you haven't ever stepped on a sailboat before.

Martin Noaksson Sails Around the World - YouTube

Martin Noaksson from Dals-Ed, Sweden decided two years ago to leave his life behind and sail around the world on a 38 ft. sailboat with no prior experience.

In 2009, Martin and his friend Andreas started their journey by sailing from gothenberg through Europe. They then traveled down the coast of Africa, across the Atlantic Ocean to Brazil then later made their way down south through Uruguay, Argentina and ultimately to Ushuaia, the most southern city in the world, where he and I met. Tomorrow they are planning on sailing through the Drake Passage for 5 days to Antarctica, a journey only a few brave souls sail per year.

your kidding?
His shipmate and boat owner must be a sailor

RTB 10-15-2013 10:16 PM

Andreas owns the boat, but Martin doesn't mention Andreas' experience.

But hey, the Bumfuzzles have done a RTW. and Pat says it's no big deal. Next thing you know, smackdaddy will do the same on his Hunter. :D

Ralph
| sailing away with R & B

MarkofSeaLife 10-15-2013 11:09 PM

Why doesnt anyone understand that sailing isnt that much of a problem!

If someone has a brain and noraml street smarts the basics of sailing are picked up in days, not weeks or months.

As that quote from Mark Twain said: "Its only difficult if you read internet forums!"

Mark

RTB 10-15-2013 11:52 PM

Oh yes! Even our Australian friends, sailing production Beneteaus have circumnavigated. Hey Mark, your newest photos seem to make you look a bit heavier these days. Been eating too well, or is it just age? :) Looking good!

Ralph

PCP 10-16-2013 06:34 AM

They started in 2009 "sailing from Gothenberg through Europe" . Only this will have gave them more experience than the average sailor. We are talking about many thousands of miles troughs difficult waters (North sea, Biscay) and certainly they had taken several months.

If they had no experience probably those where the most difficult days. Sailing everyday (or almost) they would soon be very experienced sailors at least in what regards average experience.

They have also a very forgiving steel heavy boat but a very slow one:

"crossing the Atlantic and arriving into the entrance of Rio de Janeiro. .. The trip across the Atlantic took 3 months."

I would be very feed up being 3 months way from a Taverna (probably they stopped on the way, I hope). That is SLOW. The ones that made that voyage for the first time (more than 500 years ago) took less than a month.

MarkofSeaLife 10-16-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTB (Post 1105527)
Hey Mark, your newest photos seem to make you look a bit heavier these days. Been eating too well, or is it just age? :) Looking good!

Ralph

LOL Life is like that :)

JulieMor 10-16-2013 07:21 AM

He's a Swede. He has salt water in his veins. :rolleyes:

ebs001 10-16-2013 08:08 AM

The Stuemers, father, mother and three young sons sailed around the world on a boat called "Northern Magic". He only had a few hours of sailing experience on a small sailboat in the Ottawa River and she even less when they started. The first time they sailed Northern Magic was after leaving New York harbour in the Atlantic Ocean.

I have a signed copy of her book "Voyages of Northern Magic" which she signed at her very last book signing. She was diagnosed with brain cancer and died three months later.

Missingyou 10-16-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebs001 (Post 1105635)
I have a signed copy of her book "Voyages of Northern Magic" which she signed at her very last book signing. She was diagnosed with brain cancer and died three months later.

Life is indeed short. What if she would have listened to those that suggest sailing on such adventures is a privilege that only comes with putting in years of sea time? You are not worthy, no pun intended! She may not have experienced what she did or written the book.

I have a new production Beneteau. I still get a kick out of those who ask what I owned before, I say a sunfish when I was 15. Then they ask about experience, I say not much. The facial expressions are priceless. My biggest concern is not so much myself but the boat. It takes nearly a full season to work the bugs out of a new production boat, or so I am finding. Arrrrgg.

I'm now motivated to seek out her book.