Circumnavigating the world with NO prior sailing experience ever before - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2013

saldrich is on a distinguished road
Circumnavigating the world with NO prior sailing experience ever before

This story right here just goes to show you that you can just buy a sailboat and take off around the world even if you haven't ever stepped on a sailboat before.

Martin Noaksson from Dals-Ed, Sweden decided two years ago to leave his life behind and sail around the world on a 38 ft. sailboat with no prior experience.

In 2009, Martin and his friend Andreas started their journey by sailing from gothenberg through Europe. They then traveled down the coast of Africa, across the Atlantic Ocean to Brazil then later made their way down south through Uruguay, Argentina and ultimately to Ushuaia, the most southern city in the world, where he and I met. Tomorrow they are planning on sailing through the Drake Passage for 5 days to Antarctica, a journey only a few brave souls sail per year.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Re: Circumnavigating the world with NO prior sailing experience ever before

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldrich View Post
This story right here just goes to show you that you can just buy a sailboat and take off around the world even if you haven't ever stepped on a sailboat before.

Martin Noaksson Sails Around the World - YouTube

Martin Noaksson from Dals-Ed, Sweden decided two years ago to leave his life behind and sail around the world on a 38 ft. sailboat with no prior experience.

In 2009, Martin and his friend Andreas started their journey by sailing from gothenberg through Europe. They then traveled down the coast of Africa, across the Atlantic Ocean to Brazil then later made their way down south through Uruguay, Argentina and ultimately to Ushuaia, the most southern city in the world, where he and I met. Tomorrow they are planning on sailing through the Drake Passage for 5 days to Antarctica, a journey only a few brave souls sail per year.
your kidding?
His shipmate and boat owner must be a sailor

Last edited by bfloyd4445; 10-15-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-15-2013
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

Andreas owns the boat, but Martin doesn't mention Andreas' experience.

But hey, the Bumfuzzles have done a RTW. and Pat says it's no big deal. Next thing you know, smackdaddy will do the same on his Hunter.

Ralph
| sailing away with R & B
bljones likes this.
Old 10-15-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Why doesnt anyone understand that sailing isnt that much of a problem!

If someone has a brain and noraml street smarts the basics of sailing are picked up in days, not weeks or months.

As that quote from Mark Twain said: "Its only difficult if you read internet forums!"

Mark
kwaltersmi, RTB, JulieMor and 5 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-15-2013
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

Oh yes! Even our Australian friends, sailing production Beneteaus have circumnavigated. Hey Mark, your newest photos seem to make you look a bit heavier these days. Been eating too well, or is it just age? Looking good!

Ralph
Old 10-16-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

They started in 2009 "sailing from Gothenberg through Europe" . Only this will have gave them more experience than the average sailor. We are talking about many thousands of miles troughs difficult waters (North sea, Biscay) and certainly they had taken several months.

If they had no experience probably those where the most difficult days. Sailing everyday (or almost) they would soon be very experienced sailors at least in what regards average experience.

They have also a very forgiving steel heavy boat but a very slow one:

"crossing the Atlantic and arriving into the entrance of Rio de Janeiro. .. The trip across the Atlantic took 3 months."

I would be very feed up being 3 months way from a Taverna (probably they stopped on the way, I hope). That is SLOW. The ones that made that voyage for the first time (more than 500 years ago) took less than a month.
krisscross likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-16-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Hey Mark, your newest photos seem to make you look a bit heavier these days. Been eating too well, or is it just age? Looking good!

Ralph
LOL Life is like that

Old 10-16-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

He's a Swede. He has salt water in his veins.
Old 10-16-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

The Stuemers, father, mother and three young sons sailed around the world on a boat called "Northern Magic". He only had a few hours of sailing experience on a small sailboat in the Ottawa River and she even less when they started. The first time they sailed Northern Magic was after leaving New York harbour in the Atlantic Ocean.

I have a signed copy of her book "Voyages of Northern Magic" which she signed at her very last book signing. She was diagnosed with brain cancer and died three months later.
Old 10-16-2013

Missingyou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
I have a signed copy of her book "Voyages of Northern Magic" which she signed at her very last book signing. She was diagnosed with brain cancer and died three months later.
Life is indeed short. What if she would have listened to those that suggest sailing on such adventures is a privilege that only comes with putting in years of sea time? You are not worthy, no pun intended! She may not have experienced what she did or written the book.

I have a new production Beneteau. I still get a kick out of those who ask what I owned before, I say a sunfish when I was 15. Then they ask about experience, I say not much. The facial expressions are priceless. My biggest concern is not so much myself but the boat. It takes nearly a full season to work the bugs out of a new production boat, or so I am finding. Arrrrgg.

I'm now motivated to seek out her book.
krisscross likes this.