Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
no sailing experience ocean crossing

Has anyone out there just bought a sailing vessel then went sailing, with zero sailing experience? There is mention of one guy in the forum that went round the world with zero sailing experience and I was wondering if there is anyone out there that just went and bought a sailboat then took off coastal cruseing or other?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2013
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
re: no sailing experience ocean crossing

It is sort of debatable the zero experience thing. That guy may have had zero experience but he was apparently not the only guy on the boat. However I think if you took some precautions, used some common sense, did not do anything too crazy, read a book or two, talked with people, took small steps, go for it.

Jerry

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-16-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
Has anyone out there just bought a sailing vessel then went sailing, with zero sailing experience? There is mention of one guy in the forum that went round the world with zero sailing experience and I was wondering if there is anyone out there that just went and bought a sailboat then took off coastal cruseing or other?
I'm sure there have been. But the ones who posted in SN saying they were going to do it either never left or they are still out there.

I can't think of one who returned to say that he did it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-16-2013
Jnoiur Mebemr

StormBay is on a distinguished road

When Tania Aebi first left she had very little experience. Also have a friend here at our marina that bought his first sail boat and a how to sail book on the same day and left from FL to NJ on the outside (this was before gps) He said it was a rough trip, but he made it.
All that being said I don't think their are many folks that go that route.

Old 10-16-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Check out Jessie Martin:
You can buy his book on line, their is also a DVD on his trip you can buy on line.

Amazon.com: Lionheart - The Jesse Martin Story: Jesse Martin, Jesse Martin, Paul Currie: Movies & TV Amazon.com: Lionheart - The Jesse Martin Story: Jesse Martin, Jesse Martin, Paul Currie: Movies & TV

Jessie did sail for a few months with another skipper to get experience. But he had only somthing like 3 days experience on the boat he took around the world on non-stop and via the 5 great capes. His book is a great read, and has some great heavy weather techniques and repairs descriptions. The lad really knew how to take care of his boat and how to learn on his own. DVD is great, his own video is used.
Old 10-16-2013
Will work for Boat money

MobiusALilBitTwisted is on a distinguished road

Here is one that Started with 0 sailing, and went around over about 8 years, yes some was with others on board, but it was a 5.5M boat. http://www.bluemoment.com/pdf/shrimpy.pdf Enjoy

1985 Venture 25
Fl Gulf Coast

GrahamO
"MŲbius,You need another drink. You are starting to make sense".
Old 10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormBay View Post
When Tania Aebi first left she had very little experience. Also have a friend here at our marina that bought his first sail boat and a how to sail book on the same day and left from FL to NJ on the outside (this was before gps) He said it was a rough trip, but he made it.
All that being said I don't think their are many folks that go that route.
I would like to talk to that guy at your marina. I have bought the book now all I need is a sailboat. What gave me the idea was I found what appears to be a boat like I want in Hawaii at a reasonable price. Going to Hawaii from the west coast is easy I am told but the eastward return trip is not so easy.

Thanks
Britt
Old 10-16-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
I would like to talk to that guy at your marina. I have bought the book now all I need is a sailboat. What gave me the idea was I found what appears to be a boat like I want in Hawaii at a reasonable price. Going to Hawaii from the west coast is easy I am told but the eastward return trip is not so easy.

Thanks
Britt
The eastward trip is difficult. Especially now we are headed into winter and large low pressure systems are developing south of Alaska. this will bring big swell, rain and high winds along the route. Summer is better, but you need to sail north of the big high pressure system- it can be a long trip. I am located on Oahu, let me know if I can help you in any way.
Old 10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Check out Jessie Martin:
Jesse Martin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You can buy his book on line, their is also a DVD on his trip you can buy on line.

Amazon.com: Lionheart - The Jesse Martin Story: Jesse Martin, Jesse Martin, Paul Currie: Movies & TV

Jessie did sail for a few months with another skipper to get experience. But he had only somthing like 3 days experience on the boat he took around the world on non-stop and via the 5 great capes. His book is a great read, and has some great heavy weather techniques and repairs descriptions. The lad really knew how to take care of his boat and how to learn on his own. DVD is great, his own video is used.
well if he can do that at 18 I at 66 ought to be able to make a short trip from Hawaii to Oregon with zero experience. I can just engage the auto pilot and go watch tv. Shouldn't be hard, right?
Old 10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
The eastward trip is difficult. Especially now we are headed into winter and large low pressure systems are developing south of Alaska. this will bring big swell, rain and high winds along the route. Summer is better, but you need to sail north of the big high pressure system- it can be a long trip. I am located on Oahu, let me know if I can help you in any way.
thanks Casey. Offshore of the Oregon coast can get pretty nasty this time of the year also and the bars have well deserved killer reputations. How long would the trip take?