Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: sailing on work nights

Hookin, if it relaxes you, go sailing. If solo and dark worry you, stay ashore.
Yes, solo and dark and colder wx are all added risks but then again, some people are afraid of the water all the time and they'd just stay on the golf course.

I would make a point to have the right safety equipment, especially flares and light, to wear the PFD, to have some communications and to leave word with someone that you should be home the next morning (at the latest :-) but it doesn't sound like you should have any worry.

As any dermatologist will tell you, it is much safer to sail at night.(G)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinie View Post
Early sunsets this time of year can really suck sometimes!
The weinie is absolutely right about this.
The recent sunsets here have been magical.
Well worth whatever hassle.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-16-2013

jzk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookinup View Post
I appreciate the responses and the warnings more so. Its not that i havent sailed at night. The last time i sailed my siren 17 it was small craft advisory i sailed it at night everything went well except for a snagged mainsheet while 'turning around caused a massive heel and then the incident of the mast falling gently with no damage due to a failed turnbuckle on the shroud. Luckily while sitting in the boat ramp. Sheer luck it didnt let go while under sail. But these things are what i think really show you what your dealing with everytime you shove off the dock. Not to mention im sailing basically a dinghy in the bay.
I don't mean to imply that you should venture too far outside your comfort zone. Night sailing is glorious. Get to doing it. You won't be sorry. Invite a more experienced sailor, but give it a try. Soon it will be as natural and easy as driving a car at night.
Old 10-16-2013

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton

KInda like flying, the aircraft has no idea it is dark, it flies the same. However to you and I, thinks just look a little different out there..... Besides if you limit yourself to daylight you are taking away half of your life. I say go for it. Take an experienced person with you the first few times, keep it close, go slow, have fun.

Jerry

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-16-2013

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

Definitely go for it, only plan incremental distances from your slip. For example for the first time, get back just before dusk, next few times, at dusk. Then when you feel certain that you can find your way back you can stay out a bit longer. The whole idea is to have fun, and avoid uncertainty or possibly fear, imho.
dick
davidpm likes this.
Old 10-17-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

I feel your pain- sailing just once a week stinks!
A beautiful full moon last night with a light breeze. And I was sitting at home watching a movie I had seen five times.
Old 10-17-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

When working, we often took the yacht out in the evenings. In many respects, night sailing is easier as there are far fewer boats out and about so there's far less traffic to deal with, lighted marks are easier to see, and winds tend to be somewhat less gusty. While an illuminated mast-head Windex can be helpful, black tell-tales mounted on the shrouds are also very helpful. I realize that is counter intuitive but one can actually see them better than light or colored tell-tales in the dark, which really isn't so dark once one's eyes adjust.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 10-17-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I can't comment on the Chessy, but I often sail at night on Long Island Sound. It's about half solo and half with friends and family. Fortunately, where I sail their are few boats at night and lots of open water. I don't think I would want to do a lot of sailing at night if I had to worry about other boats, obstacles and lots of crab pots.

Make sure you plan all your moves ahead of time and be prepared with things like spotlights, horns, boat hooks, whatever you will need to get back to your slip / mooring. My boat has a reliable autpilot (at least it's reliable in wind conditions I would experience for a pleasure sail) and that makes things a whole lot eaiser.

Pick your weather window carefully the first few times: relatively gentle breeze, preferably a fool moon, etc.

Have fun!

Barry

Old 10-17-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

Wouldn't it be easier to just leave work sooner?

I agree, these 6:30 pm sunsets are for the birds. But I can barely steer a path through the crab pots in broad daylight. Add solo sailing and docking to the mix and I would just settle for happy hours watching the sunset from my slip.
Old 10-18-2013

engineer_sailor is on a distinguished road
sailing on work nights

Any tips on crab pot avoidance at night in the northern Chesapeake? Staying in the channels is one option I suppose. A line cutter on the shaft just in case maybe?

Josh

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.