Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Re: What liquor and wine do you stock on Board

All great ideas and choices.
Ginger beer is important for the DS.
I like the box wine idea, only ? how long will it keep after opened?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

Stock?

We buy what we want on the way to the boat, and re-supply along the way if we run out. Not very often do we come back to the mooring with anything but empties. Until next time, then rinse, repeat.
Old 10-17-2013

SoOkay is on a distinguished road

The label says the Bota box wine will remain good for 1 month after opening. We've made numerous attempts to verify this, but were unsuccessful in making a box last that long until recently when I was sick for a few weeks. It really does last that long, especially if you keep it in the fridge.
rikhall likes this.
Old 10-17-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Pinot Noirs, zinfendels , malbecs, cabernet and some pinot gricio

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-17-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

I like this thread!

Our liquor locker aboard Guenevere is a bit small, but we manage to keep it stocked with;

A small bottle each (like a pint) of scotch, Jack Black, & Crown Royal for guests.

For us;
A small bottle of VSOP, A good Tequila and, my favorite, Cruzan Black Strap rum NAVY. I learned in Tahiti to put a whole vanilla bean in it, let it site for a few months, then drink it mixed, or like a liqueur, or ….....
ALSO, just found a am loving Fireball Cinnamon Whisky.

For liqueur;
Amaretto, LOVE IT!
Agavero, discovered it in Mexico.
A bottle of V. Sattui Madeira for after dinner at anchor.
And Ginger, Pistachio, and Limoncello. We make them ourselves.

For wine;
Boxed Franzia, one white & one red. First started drinking it in 1973 when I was in the navy in Hawaii.
Or BEST of all, ANY by V. Sattui (jill's fav is gamay rouge)

For Beer;
We don't drink that much, but keep a couple of bottles of Pacifico aboard and try to pick up local when we can for entertaining.

For mixers;
All the standard stuff we pick up along the way. When we were out for months, even used powdered Gator Aid.
Also carry DaVinci Amearetto sugar free. Tastes just like the real thing, but we use when under way or in coffee in the morning.

For fishing;
ElMezcalito – see video

We NEVER drink under way, or until at least an hour after the anchor has been set. And our stash lasts us a LONG time!

Greg
jimgo likes this.

Youtube page -
Old 10-17-2013
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamx View Post
I like rum also, but should have some whiskey, vodka, some red some white, some pagne, and a good assortment of beer? I dont have the room for mixed drinks but if I did then those also.
Right - that's just for you, and it is tap water for your guests, right - lol

Rik
Old 10-17-2013

SoOkay is on a distinguished road

Only if you like them, Bilge water for the rest

"Besides, if we get lost, we pull in somewhere and ask directions." --Captain Ron
Old 10-17-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
I like this thread!

Our liquor locker aboard Guenevere is a bit small, but we manage to keep it stocked with;

A small bottle each (like a pint) of scotch, Jack Black, & Crown Royal for guests.

For us;
A small bottle of VSOP, A good Tequila and, my favorite, Cruzan Black Strap rum NAVY. I learned in Tahiti to put a whole vanilla bean in it, let it site for a few months, then drink it mixed, or like a liqueur, or ….....
ALSO, just found a am loving Fireball Cinnamon Whisky.

For liqueur;
Amaretto, LOVE IT!
Agavero, discovered it in Mexico.
A bottle of V. Sattui Madeira for after dinner at anchor.
And Ginger, Pistachio, and Limoncello. We make them ourselves.

For wine;
Boxed Franzia, one white & one red. First started drinking it in 1973 when I was in the navy in Hawaii.
Or BEST of all, ANY by V. Sattui (jill's fav is gamay rouge)

For Beer;
We don't drink that much, but keep a couple of bottles of Pacifico aboard and try to pick up local when we can for entertaining.

For mixers;
All the standard stuff we pick up along the way. When we were out for months, even used powdered Gator Aid.
Also carry DaVinci Amearetto sugar free. Tastes just like the real thing, but we use when under way or in coffee in the morning.

For fishing;
ElMezcalito – see video Fishing YoYo Mini Op-Eval - YouTube

We NEVER drink under way, or until at least an hour after the anchor has been set. And our stash lasts us a LONG time!

Greg
Holy Molly! I am coming to your boat!!!!

For us, we stock Jack Daniels, beer, vodka, and wine. We don't get a lot of bottled wine anymore. It is a pain to stowe and takes up too much room in the trash. We use the boxed wine. Our preference is Black Box. A hint for boaters: Take it out of the box and you get a lot more options for stowing it. Also, cardboard is not something you want to keep on your boat (roach magnets). You can often stowe these large tupperware containers or canisters and drop them in the bilge.

For beer, we only buy canned beer. Glass isn't boat friendly and does not compact well for trash. Just a warning for those stowing beer: the sides of the cans are not very thick and especially when they get hot, unsanded fiberglass will pop them. We found that out in the middle of the gulf stream! Ugh!!

Jack Daniels is my cocktail of choice, but vodka is a lot more versatile and cost effective. You can also purchase vodka in plastic bottles whereas Jack is glass only. One thing to look for if you love whisky as much as I do: around the holidays, Jack Daniels will come in a tin container. THe containers are fabulous for keeping bottles safe (Jack or other bottles). Keep an eye out for them as they work really well on a boat. Or, you can do what another cruiser did that I saw: He bought a dozens of bottles of Jack Daniels and filled his gerry cans with it!! HAHA! Import tax? What import tax? True story.

Brian

PS Be very cautious with your rum if you are around St Augustine as there is a particular forum member here (I won't tell you her name is WIngNWing) who is said to pillage and board said boats. Word is that Drferron and Melrna have taken up the same pirate's life so keep a low profile. There be pirates about!
StormBay and jimgo like this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-17-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
I am slowly stocking the East Coast lady with a her drink stores.
Just wondering what yall keep on your boat for you then for guest?

Mixed drinks, wine champagne??
I know what I like
Rum. But I need to be mindful and serve others what they like as well.

Thanks for your list and thoughts.
I always have good vodka, gin, whisky, and some red/white wine. oh and tomatoe juice, tobasco, Worchester sauce, sweet and dry vermouth. Sometimes nothing is used for a long time but there are occasions when it comes in handy.
Then I have a boat owners emergency repair kit to be used when all else fails which when opened reveals a 1.75ltr of Crown Royal and glasses.

hope this helps

Last edited by bfloyd4445; 10-17-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-17-2013

rbrasi is on a distinguished road
As primarily a vodka drinker, I carry, IMO, the smoothest. It's called Carlson's and comes in a squat bottle. Perfect for small icebox or fridge. In dry storage I have the Sailor Jerry for dock friends. In the fridge, cans of Tecate for hot days along with coke for the rum. I like the box wine idea. That will go nicely in the cooler.