Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: What liquor and wine do you stock on Board

Well the Wombet and I are rather partial to a Vodka Tonic in the late afternoon so we always have a supply of Stolychniya on board. I'm sure there are better Vodkas but if you are bunging tonic into it then why bother.

I'm the beer drinker. Pilsener style is my preference, current fav is Trumer Pils from Austria but I can live with Becks or Peroni.

Wine with dinner, that is non negotiable. The Wombet pretty much only drinks white, mainly Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay or Chablis but usually whites from Italy or France. I like the odd red, primarily Pinot Noir but happy with most of the Spanish reds from Rioja of course but most Spanish wine regions do good reds. Some pretty good stuff coming out of Austria as well.

Hardest thing for me is that I absolutely adore Portuguese. Either red or white but it is almost impossible to find in Australia. In the middle of a summer's day, with a great big load of oysters, prawns, clams and the like nothing much beats a bottle of Portuguese Vinho Verde , green or young white wine. Just fabulous. Emphasis on young.

After dinner ..... pretty happy with a Jamieson or a Justinian & Brooks on the rocks. I am not a whisky conoisseur, happy to admit it, but I like what I know.

For breakfast Bloody Mary without the Worcester but plenty of Tabasco.

Anyone up for a cheese thread ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 10-17-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorten View Post
For example: my good friend on whose boat I've crewed for extended trips. He always--repeat always--stocks a bottle of St. Brendan's Irish Cream (like Bailey's). He calls it the "Captain's Grog" and delivers all crew members their "daily ration" of "grog" each evening in port. We still talk about the grog years later!
Funny you should mention the "Grog". When we were cruising with our boys, at the end of a good day I would issue Grog to each boy. In this case it was one of those small chocolate bottle shapes with a liquor in them. The boys got a BIG kick out of it! And like you said, to this day we still talk about it.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
What liquor and wine do you stock on Board-boys-morning.jpg  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-18-2013

voyageur_131 is on a distinguished road

I was thinking about removing a seat and setting up a beer keg system in my catalina 22, probably would put some Elysian beer in there.
Old 10-18-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

A bottle or two of Bubbly from Reims, some bottles of Rioja to accompany steak and

Old 10-18-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur_131 View Post
I was thinking about removing a seat and setting up a beer keg system in my catalina 22, probably would put some Elysian beer in there.
Funny! I just bought a Catalina 22, so naturally a friend and I were discussing how we could move my draft system onto the boat. I have a 5 lb CO2 cylinder and two taps for two 5-gallon kegs. I think there might be just enough room in the port lazarette for them to stand upright. Fill it with ice, pull the taps up into the cockpit, and there you go.

I suspect the extra 150 lbs sitting that far out and aft might mess up the trim on a little boat like this...
Old 10-18-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Funny! I just bought a Catalina 22, so naturally a friend and I were discussing how we could move my draft system onto the boat. I have a 5 lb CO2 cylinder and two taps for two 5-gallon kegs. I think there might be just enough room in the port lazarette for them to stand upright. Fill it with ice, pull the taps up into the cockpit, and there you go.

I suspect the extra 150 lbs sitting that far out and aft might mess up the trim on a little boat like this...
Who cares about trim!.... You'll have 10 gallons of cold beer on board!
Minnesail likes this.
Old 10-18-2013

justified is on a distinguished road

We keep Rum, Vodka, and beer for the Captain and crew. All others bring what you like.
I was taught that there are 3 things for proper etiquette when cruising. 1: bring your own food and drink. 2: bring your own ice. 3: never use their head.
Old 10-19-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

We are cheap cruisers (I know seems like a ... what's the opposite of an oxymoron) and stock up on whatever is particularly cheap in a country. Decent rum from Guadeloupe, Jamaica, and Panama, cheap wine purchased in Panama (Chilean, $2 a litre, sadly long gone), also in Australia and especially South Africa. Cheep beer in Panama (see a pattern?), Ecuador, and Fiji. Before we leave South Africa we will also buy a few bottles of brandy. Theirs is quite good and not at all expensive. Also beer is not too pricey so we will be well-prepared for the South Atlantic.
Old 10-19-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

I don't drink alcohol, but I usually keep good beer on board.

It's for the crew.

And Marty's (blt2ski)

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 10-19-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorten View Post
I think all skippers should have their "signature drink". It doesn't matter if if comes in a box, out of a can, out of a bottle, etc.

But, the more unique and creative the drink, the more you can "own it" and give your guests something memorable.

For example: my good friend on whose boat I've crewed for extended trips. He always--repeat always--stocks a bottle of St. Brendan's Irish Cream (like Bailey's). He calls it the "Captain's Grog" and delivers all crew members their "daily ration" of "grog" each evening in port. We still talk about the grog years later!
I guess mine would be floating olives. I accidentally made myself a toonoe one day while extracting honey and the dumb olives floated! What I had done was put a drizzle of honey on the ice in the shaker and then shook the crap out of it and the olives floated. I thought there must be something wrong with the olives at first but there wasn't, the honey made the toonie so olives would float. I've had lots of fun with that drink over the years.