Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road
Re: Best used cheap blue water boats 30-45ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
I should have added located on the west coast. Transporting overland is expensive and while I have the time to sail her being retired I have very very limited experience with sailboats just lots of powerboat time.
Don't get a boat that is too big for you to handle. I would say that 32' is the upper limit. I would also avoid big heavy whales like Westsail 32.

Here is another rock solid bluewater boat on the west coast: 2000 Nor'Sea Aft Cabin Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 10-19-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeissinger View Post
if your intended uses are going "offshore" for a day, and also fishing, coupled with crossing Oregon bars, you really should be looking at powerboats.
Exactly... It's ABOUT FREAKIN' TIME someone pointed that out...:-)

This is one of those threads at which I can only shake my head in amazement :-)

To the OP, seriously - do you have any idea what you intend to do with such a boat? Do you have a CLUE whether, indeed, "bluewater sailing" is really for you?

Sorry, but your parameters are so broad as to be useless... 30 - 45 feet, at least for me, runs the gamut from pretty much the minimum size in which I would care to venture offshore, to a size larger than I would ever want to own... A budget of $20-60K, but "you would pay up to $200K for the 'right' boat???" Sorry, but any serious yacht broker would not waste the time of day with you :-)

My first recommendation would be to actually DO some offshore sailing, and see if it's really anything remotely resembling what you imagine it to be... Every year, experienced sailors finish a trip like the Caribbean 1500 as their first ocean passage, and vow never to do it again, realizing coastal cruising/sailing is just fine for them...

Get some sailing under your belt, hopefully on a variety of boats, that's far and away the best way to make an informed decision... Don't be like the guy I met last year in Annapolis, bought an Island Packet for extended cruising, and potentially a circumnavigation... Spent an entire season, and untold tens of thousands $ more, in Annapolis prepping the boat, before FINALLY untying the docklines, and heading south... He made it as far as Solomons, turned around, walked back into the broker's office a couple of days later, and instructed him to re-list the boat for sale...

Seriously, do some sailing, take a charter vacation, whatever... just so you have some idea what it is you really want to do... jgeissinger is right, if running Oregon's bars is your primary concern, something like a Westsail 32 would be among the WORST possible choices you could make...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

"if running Oregon's bars is your primary concern, something like a Westsail 32 would be among the WORST possible choices you could make... "

Sure, but it could make for an exciting video.
jameswilson29 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 10-19-2013
MikeGuyver

MikeGuyver is on a distinguished road

Best boat for running Oregon bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Best used cheap blue water boats 30-45ft-uss-dunlap.jpg  
tightgroup likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeGuyver For This Useful Post:
tightgroup (10-23-2013)
Old 10-19-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

The Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding is building a Calkins designed BARTENDER right now. These double ended powerboats we designed for the bar.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 10-19-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Wow, haven't heard the name Calkins in years. They were always synonymous with tough, seaworthy designs. I believe the CG even used them as heavy surf rescue boats.
Old 10-19-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsonian View Post
Perhaps you should consider a maximum age. Would you want the maintenance inherent in a 30 year old boat? Wouldn't it be an advantage to enjoy the benefits of improved boat design and better equipment in newer boats? Upgrading an older boat up to the standards of a more modern boat is likely to be prohibitively expensive

Don't dismiss the importance of boat speed as a safety consideration.

Reading the hints on buying a boat John Rousmaniere's The Annapolis Book of Seamanship
boat speed is one of the factors that has kept me away from sailboats. I like having lots of power when needed crossing a bar and sailboats have scared me because of the teeny tiny engines.

I understand that design changes have been made over the year to improve speed but I'm not sure they have improved the safety aspect much if at all. Thinking about being at sea and caught in a storm got me to thinking about modern verses new designs. Most of the new designs have less wetted boat than the old ones which can be a disadvantage in heavy breaking seas. Now mind you I am just guessing based upon my powerboat experience as I have no sailboat rough water experience. Mu guess is more wetted surface means that the vessel is less likely to yaw. The extra wet area means more resistance to storm forces from above and that I would think would make for better control and a smoother ride for crew.
Am I out to lunch? If so please straighten me out.
New designs come closer to planning hulls and they can slid around pretty good in a storm and must be handled with lots of experience and power in a storm. The Satori proved that the old slow designs are most definitely very sea worthy did she not?
Maybe at 50kts one could outrun a storm but not at normal modern or old design sailboat speeds. I mean the catalina 34 is a fast boat, very popular, but I don't see them as cruseing boats just go fast daysailors. I love the inside of that boat and others like her and I'll bet they are fun to sail but I wouldn't feel as safe ofeshore in one of them as I would in an old Down East 32 or wetsnail would you?
Old 10-19-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

BTW Another poster gave 32 feet as a comfortable top limit for single handing.

Well I single hand my fast old lady a 44 ft cutter a fair bit. I am well into my 60s. Just snug the reef in early and keep an eye to weather for those pesky squalls.

I think this is the most I would be comfortable with.
Old 10-19-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
...I mean the catalina 34 is a fast boat, very popular, but I don't see them as cruseing boats just go fast daysailors...
What????

Not designed as an offshore boat, but great at coastal cruising. Maybe a little bigger than needed for daysailing, IMO. And probably too big for singlehanding.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 10-19-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-19-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
BTW Another poster gave 32 feet as a comfortable top limit for single handing.

Well I single hand my fast old lady a 44 ft cutter a fair bit. I am well into my 60s. Just snug the reef in early and keep an eye to weather for those pesky squalls.

I think this is the most I would be comfortable with.
I like the interiors of the 38-43 foot boats but realistically for a beginner I think maybe the smaller 32 would be a better size to cut my teeth on. I am 66.
what model is your fast old 44ft cutter?