Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best used cheap blue water boats 30-45ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
What????

Not designed as an offshore boat, but great at coastal cruising. Maybe a little bigger than needed for daysailing, IMO. And probably too big for singlehanding.
I don't think she is to big to single hand if she is rigged right. What do I know though, you may be right. Nice boats and fast. But that hull shape would scare me if caught in a storm. With such a small wetted area she could slide around like a flat bottomed power boat but without the powerboats gobs of hp to make corrections. I see this hull style as needing a very experienced skipper in gale conditions
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2013

sailpower is on a distinguished road

This thread is hilarious.

I am surprised that anyone is taking the OP seriously.

This is a spoof, right?

What is the best sailboat for bottom fishing and running inlets? I can afford 200K of course but really want to spend 10K. I will be by myself for obvious reasons.

You actually got some responses. Well played.
sailingfool and jameswilson29 like this.
Old 10-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
This thread is hilarious.

I am surprised that anyone is taking the OP seriously.

This is a spoof, right?

What is the best sailboat for bottom fishing and running inlets? I can afford 200K of course but really want to spend 10K. I will be by myself for obvious reasons.

You actually got some responses. Well played.
I'm glad your enjoying it. But the fact is I am serious. And those are your words not mine. You twisted my words, but you got it right except I don't do inlets yet, just bars.. NOAA's National Weather Service Bar Cameras

....I think Inlets can be worse from the stories I have heard from up north.
Old 10-20-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
I don't think she is to big to single hand if she is rigged right. What do I know though, you may be right. Nice boats and fast. But that hull shape would scare me if caught in a storm. With such a small wetted area she could slide around like a flat bottomed power boat but without the powerboats gobs of hp to make corrections. I see this hull style as needing a very experienced skipper in gale conditions
You notice that some people here are mocking you. The definitive statements you are making are way beyond your knowledge and experience. You really do need to get on some boats before your make these statements about hull shape, wetted area, etc. Until then you are just an armchair sailor.

IIRC, you've owned powerboats but no sailboat experience at all. FWIW, I would not recommend that you buy anything at this point. 30' is not a "small" boat, and is not a good boat for learning on. Boats that size and larger will give you delayed feedback when you make a mistake (and delayed feedback when you try to recover from it). You'll be much better off getting sailing lessons first, on a boat that punishes errors and rewards recoveries immediately. From your on-water experience, you'll have a much better idea what sailing characeristics you need in your first boat.

It appears that you are in a hurry to get to a really big boat, and this message board is littered with dozens of others who wanted the same thing and realized (tens of thousands of dollars later) that the reality did not match up with their dream.
Faster and mattt like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 10-20-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-20-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

" But that hull shape would scare me if caught in a storm. With such a small wetted area she could slide around like a flat bottomed power boat but without the powerboats gobs of hp to make corrections. I see this hull style as needing a very experienced skipper in gale conditions"

Floyd:
You clearly know very little and then you say things like this. Are you kidding?I tend to side with Sailpower. I know you are having fun here pretending but you make it difficult to take you seriously.

But it's the internet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Don't get a boat that is too big for you to handle. I would say that 32' is the upper limit. I would also avoid big heavy whales like Westsail 32.

Here is another rock solid bluewater boat on the west coast: 2000 Nor'Sea Aft Cabin Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
I love those trailerable nor sea's! That one is the nicest I have seen. But to be honest I want something a bit bigger for offshore. I know the rep of the ns 27 but the size does scare me a bit.
thanks much for the link. Was a treat to look at her.

I'll likely end up with an old beater westsail or Down East and then spend a fortune getting her fixed up. I've seen two sell for well under $10,000 in the last couple of weeks, one of each. I could put up to $35000 in one of those and she would be like new. The downeast was gutted but had new sails and rigging. The guy that bought it took off for SF from the LA area with it by himself so it was definitely sailable. Wonder if he made it? There are three westsails for saie in AU for 75-79k that have been completely gone through and are like new.

Might be smarter to buy something modern and newer like a pearson or catalina?

thanks everyone for your help.

Last edited by bfloyd4445; 10-20-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
" But that hull shape would scare me if caught in a storm. With such a small wetted area she could slide around like a flat bottomed power boat but without the powerboats gobs of hp to make corrections. I see this hull style as needing a very experienced skipper in gale conditions"

Floyd:
You clearly know very little and then you say things like this. Are you kidding?I tend to side with Sailpower. I know you are having fun here pretending but you make it difficult to take you seriously.

But it's the internet.
Bob, what I know of sailboats you and others have taught me. What I based my thought above was on what I have been reading in, Storm Tactics, 3rd edition by Pardey. Also some others but that's the one I am reading tonight. As a matter of fact it was your comments in a different thread that got me thinking about the newer designs with less wetted area and I thank you for that.
Old 10-20-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
Bob, what I know of sailboats you and others have taught me. What I based my thought above was on what I have been reading in, Storm Tactics, 3rd edition by Pardey. Also some others but that's the one I am reading tonight. As a matter of fact it was your comments in a different thread that got me thinking about the newer designs with less wetted area and I thank you for that.
You need to read this book...

Some like Bob P might consider it slightly outdated in certain respects relative to more recent design trends, but it is still an excellent starting point...

Cruising Club of America
Old 10-20-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGuyver View Post
Best boat for running Oregon bar.
Well, her draft could pose a bit of a problem in some spots :-)

Power and speed is what I want for running inlets and crossing bars... The boys who run in and out of a place like Oregon Inlet have a pretty good idea what works best...

There's a lot to be said for that Carolina Flare...

Old 10-20-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Jon:
I have that book and I keep it close at hand.

Loyd:
I think my point was, you are all, over the map with your questions. It seems you have no clue/clew? where you are going. It is starting to sound like meaningless chatter. Boat babble.

Bob's Blog ....