Best used cheap blue water boats 30-45ft - Page 5 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree29Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 10-20-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oceanside CA
Posts: 695
Thanks: 5
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 13
jephotog is on a distinguished road
Re: Best used cheap blue water boats 30-45ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
It is starting to sound like meaningless chatter. Boat babble.
But that's what I come here for. I like the meaningfull boat babble as well.


To the OP, you should join this club.
Membership
If I lived in Portland again, I would join this club in a heartbeat. I wish I had an all you can sail club near me. I know I would get my money's worth out of whatever my dues were.

Learn to sail with them, learn more about sailboats, and find out if you really like sailing. If your real goal is to day fish outside the Columbia bar, you are really going to be better off with a powerboat.

Once you get on a sailboat you may find out its vastly different "sport" than powerboating. It is less about getting there than being there. Anytime the sail is up I am there. If it turns out sailing is for you. What you learn by being part of sailing club and taking a year to educate yourself might pay for itself many times over when you purchase your own boat.
__________________
Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #42  
Old 10-20-2013
TQA's Avatar
TQA TQA is offline
Bombay Explorer 44
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,496
Thanks: 0
Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
Rep Power: 6
TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: Best used cheap blue water boats 30-45ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
I like the interiors of the 38-43 foot boats but realistically for a beginner I think maybe the smaller 32 would be a better size to cut my teeth on. I am 66.
what model is your fast old 44ft cutter?
I will be gobsmacked if you have heard of the Company never mind the boat.

She is a New Bombay Trading Company Explorer 44 the centre board version. Despite the name it was a US boat builder based in Cay Largo and the yard went on to become Island Packet.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #43  
Old 10-20-2013
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SF - South Bay
Posts: 511
Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 5
paul323 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best used cheap blue water boats 30-45ft

bfloyd4445, part of the problem is your size range and price range - you need to narrow things down a bit. Also, there are many capable bluewater boats, and in the end it will be your sense of aesthetics to decide on the final selection. For example, my favorites are Cabo Rico and Hans Christian. In particular for you an HC 33 could be a good choice.

You mentioned speed - as you may know, the longer a boat at the waterline, the faster she is.

Personally I would focus on 32-38 feet, also looking up to 42 feet - the first part of that size range should be easily single-handed; boats up to 42' can be set up to single hand, but as everything is bigger, it is more difficult. And different sail plans (e.g Ketch) also effect this, so there are always "outliers" which could be excellent choices, but you need to narrow down the search initially, and 32-38 is a good starting point.

What I would do in your place - which is a totally awesome place to be in - money and desire for a new boat - is to start visiting brokers; walk around yards; research, research research! The more you build up your knowledge base, the clearer your decision will become.

Finally, as you narrow down your search, your focus will shift from a shortlist of boats you like to a final selection based on price, condition, and equipment installed/required. These factors will end up have just as large an impact - even larger - than a particular manufacturer.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #44  
Old 10-20-2013
Maine Sail's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maine Coast
Posts: 5,286
Thanks: 10
Thanked 117 Times in 85 Posts
Rep Power: 15
Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Best used cheap blue water boats 30-45ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Well, her draft could pose a bit of a problem in some spots :-)

Power and speed is what I want for running inlets and crossing bars... The boys who run in and out of a place like Oregon Inlet have a pretty good idea what works best...




There's a lot to be said for that Carolina Flare...





Funny I worked on a custom Buddy Davis fishing for Bluefin back in college. There IS a lot to be said of the Carolina flair....
souljour2000 likes this.
__________________
______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.


Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #45  
Old 10-20-2013
bfloyd4445's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 312
Thanks: 7
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1
bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best used cheap blue water boats 30-45ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
You need to read this book...

Some like Bob P might consider it slightly outdated in certain respects relative to more recent design trends, but it is still an excellent starting point...

Cruising Club of America
thanks much, I will check it out.
Best wishes
Britt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #46  
Old 10-20-2013
bfloyd4445's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 312
Thanks: 7
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1
bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best used cheap blue water boats 30-45ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Funny I worked on a custom Buddy Davis fishing for Bluefin back in college. There IS a lot to be said of the Carolina flair....
yehhh haa...I love fast powerboats. great pix thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #47  
Old 10-20-2013
steve77's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Salem, MA
Posts: 481
Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 5
steve77 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best used cheap blue water boats 30-45ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
What????

Not designed as an offshore boat, but great at coastal cruising. Maybe a little bigger than needed for daysailing, IMO. And probably too big for singlehanding.
I just got my C34 this past year so I haven't done a lot of sailing on it, but I have taken it out singlehanded at it's no problem. Lines are all led back to the cockpit and I have an autopilot. Easier to singlehand than my old Pearson Triton.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #48  
Old 10-20-2013
bfloyd4445's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 312
Thanks: 7
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1
bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best used cheap blue water boats 30-45ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul323 View Post
bfloyd4445, part of the problem is your size range and price range - you need to narrow things down a bit. Also, there are many capable bluewater boats, and in the end it will be your sense of aesthetics to decide on the final selection. For example, my favorites are Cabo Rico and Hans Christian. In particular for you an HC 33 could be a good choice.

You mentioned speed - as you may know, the longer a boat at the waterline, the faster she is.

Personally I would focus on 32-38 feet, also looking up to 42 feet - the first part of that size range should be easily single-handed; boats up to 42' can be set up to single hand, but as everything is bigger, it is more difficult. And different sail plans (e.g Ketch) also effect this, so there are always "outliers" which could be excellent choices, but you need to narrow down the search initially, and 32-38 is a good starting point.

What I would do in your place - which is a totally awesome place to be in - money and desire for a new boat - is to start visiting brokers; walk around yards; research, research research! The more you build up your knowledge base, the clearer your decision will become.

Finally, as you narrow down your search, your focus will shift from a shortlist of boats you like to a final selection based on price, condition, and equipment installed/required. These factors will end up have just as large an impact - even larger - than a particular manufacturer.

Good luck!
I also like the HC 33, Cabo Rico? new to me will have to check them out thank you.

The reason for the wide range is I have seen 42=43 ft boats that I love and people do single hand them but thinking of me, zero experience with sail, seems like I would be better off starting with a boat at the 32ft end of the scale. I keep coming back to the old westsail 32's but most I've seen could use an complete refit.
funny you should mention 32-38 because that's the conclusion I have also come to with my miniscule sail knowledge base.

I am more and more coming to the conclusion I should buy a solid hull and just have it refited by a reputable sail specialist from bottom to top.
thanks again. gotta go look up cabo rico
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #49  
Old 10-20-2013
bfloyd4445's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 312
Thanks: 7
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1
bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best used cheap blue water boats 30-45ft

this one is nice, I like pilothouse models

1990 Cabo Rico 38 Pilot Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #50  
Old 10-20-2013
bfloyd4445's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 312
Thanks: 7
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1
bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best used cheap blue water boats 30-45ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
I just got my C34 this past year so I haven't done a lot of sailing on it, but I have taken it out singlehanded at it's no problem. Lines are all led back to the cockpit and I have an autopilot. Easier to singlehand than my old Pearson Triton.
c34? is that a catalina 34? If so I like them. My question is because of the bottom shape how they would do in storm conditions. I envision, and I remind you I know nothing of sailboats, that this sort of hull design would tend to have a bumpier ride in the rough as opposed to a full keel vessel
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Feedback Needed: Blue Water Cruising Boats 32-36 Feet Oyster7 Boat Review and Purchase Forum 45 10-29-2010 11:16 AM
Production blue water boats JakeLevi Boat Review and Purchase Forum 73 07-31-2009 10:07 PM
Blue Water Capable Boats (Not a Cat 30, I promise) Aesir Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 36 04-22-2009 05:32 PM
"Blue Water Boats?" "Rescues" snider General Discussion (sailing related) 37 07-01-2007 10:21 PM
Blue water cruising boats xnavyx2 Boat Review and Purchase Forum 18 12-30-2006 05:58 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:06 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.