Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best used cheap blue water boats 30-45ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Which, unfortunately makes this discussion rather pointless, doesn't it? I applaud your desire to start sailing, but you really do need to get some experience and gain more understanding of what's involved before starting a shopping list.

Hang out at a nearby yacht club, do some racing, learn what goes with sailing bigger boats and you'll have a better idea of what to ask and what to look for in a boat when it's the appropriate time. This wouldn't appear to be that time.

Your described usage for 'offshore' (which doesn't sound like my idea of 'offshore') is most certainly better suited to power rather than sail...
I have power boats, owned them for over 45 years, with the cost of fuel they don't get used like they used to and they have been getting smaller and smaller. Smaller is more economical. I hate small no room for beer I'm not afraid of the sea and all sailboat have an engine which turns them into powerboats. Yes I know they respond differently but every boat I have never owned responds differently than every other so no big deal.
I guess offshore to me is less than fifity sixty miles out and your right, that's considered costal I think? I guess what I didn't mention was I wanted a bluewater boat for costal use mostly day sailing. But you know, I am attracted to the idea of going out far enough that no land can be seen, no traffic, no tv, no nothing except the sea and my vessel. Peaceful and in tune with nature. Is that bad?
And, to end this I wish ti thank everyone, including Bob, for being patient with me and offering constructive critisisum, tips, advice, which I assure you is appreciated. Would be fun to organize an event where we all could meet in person.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2013

Tenoch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I was almost killed in an Oregon bar back when I was about 20 years old. Our band was playing at a town on the Columbia. I think it was White Salmon.
If I had a nickel for every time I almost died in an Oregon bar...well...who am I kidding, I would probably go buy another drink with it.

Last edited by Tenoch; 10-21-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-21-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Floyd:
It's been a blast. You can take it with a good sense of humor. I respect that. Drive on up here and we can sit in my office and talk boats all day. I'll cook you a good dinner.
eherlihy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 10-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenoch View Post
If I had a nickel for every time I almost died in an Oregon bar...well...who am I kidding, I would probably go buy another drink with it.
Last year the net was saying that the most dangerous job was no longer fishing in Alaska but Oregon crap fishing because of the loss of life crossing those bars.
Old 10-21-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
an engine which turns them into powerboats.
Both a blessing and a curse at times.
Old 10-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
Both a blessing and a curse at times.
I've often wondered at that and soon I will find out
Old 10-21-2013

Tenoch is on a distinguished road

I work in local News here and the loss of life is actually really rare. The USCG does a really good job of closing the river bars when it is too rough, and rescuing those who get into trouble.
Old 10-21-2013

Quote:
I work in local News here and the loss of life is actually really rare. The USCG does a really good job of closing the river bars when it is too rough, and rescuing those who get into trouble.
In Oregon they shut down coast guard station to save money. But, the fact is they do an outstanding job considering the resources available
Old 10-21-2013

Quote:
when I talked to a coast guard guy at Coo's Bay last year he told me that when the the small craft advisory only applied to craft under 40ft.
Old 10-21-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
when I talked to a coast guard guy at Coo's Bay last year he told me that when the the small craft advisory only applied to craft under 40ft.
On the USCG site you will no longer find any reference to what is meant by "small craft." It used to be 65 feet and under back in the day. Now it more or less says if you think you aren't capable of handling the weather, don't go out.

Also, the NWS issues small craft advisories, not the CG, and each NWS station around the U.S. has its own definition of what determines a small craft advisory (each has different wind speed, wave height, etc.)

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
The Following User Says Thank You to DRFerron For This Useful Post:
bfloyd4445 (10-21-2013)