Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2013
jimbo

boknows is on a distinguished road
Scared to anchor....

Hello again. I sail out of Panama City Florida and we anchor in the bay at night. (45 Coronado) I am planning a Fl Keys trip in January and it is quite some distance and we don't have autopilot yet so I am going to have to anchor some in the Gulf or hug the shore and find some inland places (which will add more time to the trip)

We have a huge anchor so that's not my worries. I guess i'm new and want to hear other peoples thoughts on anchoring out in the gulf. (assuming weather is good)

What do you think? what do you do?
Old 10-18-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Scared to anchor....

Why not keep going. No need to anchor and it would require pretty benign conditions to allow anchoring in the Gulf in any case.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2013

neptunetrace is on a distinguished road

I would make a straight shot from P.C. to Tarpon Springs. Then you'll be in the ICW, plenty of places to anchor around there. Rest up and continue south.

Trace
Old 10-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Anchoring offshore is not really an option.
zeehag likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-18-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Scared to anchor....

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows View Post
Hello again. I sail out of Panama City Florida and we anchor in the bay at night. (45 Coronado) I am planning a Fl Keys trip in January and it is quite some distance and we don't have autopilot yet so I am going to have to anchor some in the Gulf or hug the shore and find some inland places (which will add more time to the trip)

We have a huge anchor so that's not my worries. I guess i'm new and want to hear other peoples thoughts on anchoring out in the gulf. (assuming weather is good)

What do you think? what do you do?
Bad idea bob. I know that area very well. The currents and wind and waves can all be different resulting in a horrid night if not dangerous. Sport fish run that all night long as well as other boats who arent looking for a boat anchored in the gulf.

From panama city go straight to tampa. It is a very easy in and out. As you come in on the south side is the manatee river. Go into that and anchor at emerson point. I have spent weeks there and love that anchorage. U will see other boats there.

From there i would sail outside and come in to venice. 6 hours. Stay at crows nest just inside. Good little restaurant and u will want an enjoyable night after the time at sea. Call ahead and prepare. They fill up. Tell them boatus for discount.

From there sail to charlotte harbor and take the icw south to useppa island across from cabbage key. Anchor at useppa and enjoy a fun afternoon or dinner at cabbage key. Bring a dollar to hang on the wall.

From there sail to fort myers beach. If your mast is under 65, stay at a mooring ball in mantanzas pass. 13 bucks i think.

From there go to the keys. Its an overnighter. Make sure you have a good mask and fins and knife for crab traps. U can walk from fmb to the keys without getting your feet wet. If key west, it is straight forward. If marathon (where i am) go under 7 mile and around.

If u need more info, or specifics, let me know.

B

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-18-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

From PC, take the ICW to Carabelle. You can anchor at the west end of Dog Island. Next day take off for Tarpon Springs straight across. It may take you 30 hours at worst. Ive done this crossing numerous times.
Old 10-18-2013
jimbo

boknows is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
From PC, take the ICW to Carabelle. You can anchor at the west end of Dog Island. Next day take off for Tarpon Springs straight across. It may take you 30 hours at worst. Ive done this crossing numerous times.
Sounds good. Ill do that. My mast is 50 ft tall. Will have to look on chart to make sure I can make it all the way
zeehag likes this.
Old 10-18-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Is your trip open-ended, or do you have a time frame it has to fit in? Cause basically, you're looking at two weeks just to get to the Keys and back to Panama City, if you stop every night.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 10-18-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Idiots anchor.

You can do it.
weinie likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 10-18-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

As suggested I'd do it in one hop, PC to KW. If you have spreader lights you are all set; if not buy a bunch of LED flashlights, giving one to each crew and having the others spread out where handy. Sailing at night is easy and fun, especially if you choose a night with lots of moonlight. Stay away from the west Fla coast; it is shallow far offshore and this causes inordinately large waves in rough weather. Plan your arrival in KW for mid morning; that way if you arrive early you still have daylight, and if late you have many hours until dusk.

Last edited by capta; 10-18-2013 at 11:10 PM.

Tags
anchoring in the gulf

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.