SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Team sinks two pirate ships :) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/104898-team-sinks-two-pirate-ships.html)

rikhall 10-20-2013 04:42 PM

Team sinks two pirate ships :)

Last Friday, a team made up of ships from the UK, Australia, South Korea and The Netherlands captured two ships of pirates and sunk their vessels.

BBC News - Suspected pirates caught in joint naval operation

Rik

SloopJonB 10-20-2013 07:29 PM

Re: Team sinks two pirate ships :)

Good enough result I guess but why did they even bother taking them off the skiff before zapping it? Those scum should be nuked on sight AFAIAC.

Capt Len 10-20-2013 10:50 PM

One 'skiff' has the looks of a pirated sail boat (Transom hung rudder) Somebodies pride and joy.

MarkofSeaLife 10-20-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SloopJonB (Post 1108185)
Good enough result I guess but why did they even bother taking them off the skiff before zapping it? Those scum should be nuked on sight AFAIAC.

What a gross and disgusting thing to say

SloopJonB 10-21-2013 12:39 AM

:p

arvicola-amphibius 10-21-2013 01:45 AM

Many Somalis are so desperate and so accustomed to brutality that this won't deter others from piracy. They are really tough people, for whom life is cheap.
I just finished reading a book called 'Zanzibar Chest' written by a former Reuters war correspondent. It gives quite an insight into Africa in general and Somalia in particular. When they don't have a political reason to be killing each other, they still do it for entertainment, it seems. Even here in Australia we have cases of Somali immigrants cutting each other up almost as if it is a national sport.
While I don't advocate shooting pirates on sight unless they are a direct threat at the time - then it's 'game on' as far as I am concerned - even that would not deter their fellow countrymen from chancing it.
Question now is which country puts them in jail, and for how long? The offences have been (and usually are) committed on the High Seas. Any Western jail will be a holiday camp for these guys, so it is to be hoped they get sent somewhere where the conditions are at least as bad as back in their home country.
I would never sail anywhere near that part of the world - there's plenty of other worthwhile places for the leisure yachtie without risking one's boat, and possibly wife. Anyone who sails there with a woman on board would really have to hate the bitch; and though my wife sometimes gives me grief, she doesn't deserve THAT fate!

aa3jy 10-21-2013 07:50 AM

IMHO..we should be awarding these anti-pirate forces..not celebrating piracy at a certain beer drinking fest at a certain Md. Eastern Shore town...;)

Don0190 10-21-2013 07:56 AM

I wonder what they did or plan to do with the pirates from the boats?

smurphny 10-21-2013 08:11 AM

Military responses to piracy have been largely ineffective throughout history. While it's gratifying to see the bad guys get their comeuppance, the overall effect on piracy is close to 0. Until governments can get to the apparently impervious heads of these operations, nothing will change. Where does the ransom money go? That's the place to drop the bombs and assert the diplomatic and economic pressure.

krisscross 10-21-2013 08:44 AM

An interesting article on the root causes of Somali piracy. Old, but still very relevant:
Somalia: Another CIA-backed coup blows up | Global Research
One of the reasons US is not coming down hard on Somali pirate lords who finance high seas piracy, is that some of them work with the CIA against local Islamic terrorists, mostly feeding intelligence to CIA operators and contractors on the ground.