Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Re: Inflatable Kayaks

Thanks for all the responses. I've been to the seaeagle site and was impressed by the fast trak line of inflatables. Seem like would be more adapt for exploring bays etc than the explorer model. They also have a cat model that would offer more stability, but doubt if it paddles very well. With what I've experienced in the past with lower back pain, I'm thinking that a raised seat might help. A fisherman seat is available with the fast trak and I want to hear what sea eagle says about performance loss from paddeling from a raised position. I do think it would be more comfortable, but no experience with it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2013

skygazer is on a distinguished road

Just remember, if you are worried about stability, that the lower your center of gravity, the more stable - by far - you will be.

Since a kayak is low, a raised seat will make you much more tippy. Low craft means a minor rise in your seat will have a major change in your stability.

If it gets rough, drop to the floor or sit on a low pad.
Old 10-26-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

I bought this model:
inflatableboats4less.com/paddleski-catamaran-kayaks/

Tim from Inflatable boats can give you a better deal than from the factory.
He recommend the paddleski for us as it paddles as well as our Malibu Two and tracks better and is dryer as you sit higher.
It is very stable with the two pontoons.
Old 10-26-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Davidpm for the info on the paddleski. I'm debating between that and the fast track model. Just curious as to how well it paddles to windward. What would you say the max winds that you have paddled against? I know the fast trak would be a better performer with its smaller diameter tubes, but the paddleski seems more stable and easier to board from a sailboat.
Old 10-26-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
Thanks Davidpm for the info on the paddleski. I'm debating between that and the fast track model. Just curious as to how well it paddles to windward. What would you say the max winds that you have paddled against? I know the fast trak would be a better performer with its smaller diameter tubes, but the paddleski seems more stable and easier to board from a sailboat.
I bought it but didn't use it much so I would recommend you talk to Tim. He is a hard-core kayack guy and wouldn't steer you wrong.

I got to know him pretty well because after we got to talking I found out he was having trouble with his website, he is over 70, so I helped him figure out how to update pages. He loves to talk kayaks and is very knowledgeable.

The trampoline on the paddleski is several inches above the waterline so I think there is a much higher possibility of getting on and off the boat without getting wet.

Last edited by davidpm; 10-26-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-31-2014

chesapeake1 is on a distinguished road

Hey Lance,

did you ever decide on the kayak for you??

I found this thread while I was doing some inflatable kayak research. I'm leaning between a sea eagle, or an advanced elements. I've also considered this solstice flash. It seems like it could be one of the most stable.

If anybody has any experience with any of the ones that I mentioned, please let me know. I'll probably be making a purchase within the next week.
Old 05-31-2014

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

I have a 2 person Sterns IK140 for sale in excellent condition if any ones interested.
jim
Old 05-31-2014

skygazer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake1 View Post
If anybody has any experience with any of the ones that I mentioned, please let me know. I'll probably be making a purchase within the next week.
Hi Chesapeake, I'm sure you read my detailed post on page one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
We use a sea eagle, the larger one (370). We like it. It's better to think of it as an inflatable canoe.
I'm just writing to say that we still like our Sea Eagle 370, and it's still our first choice when going to the sailboat. Last season we had a very rough time anchored in a protected cove at the ocean edge of the Casco bay islands, the storm came from an unexpected direction - high winds, rough with big swells off the Gulf of Maine, very heavy rain. A much bigger boat was being tossed as bad as we were, and we felt like we were on a spinning bucking bronco! I can't imagine the trouble we would have been in if I couldn't flip the dinghy over. The rain would have quickly added hundreds of pounds of weight to yank on the tie up line.

Actually right now I'm restoring a beautiful older quality hard canoe, fiberglass (repairable) with aluminum gunwales and decks. The seats are hung below the gunwales on aluminum panels - lowering the seats increases stability, compared to many newer canoes with the seats bolted to the gunwales. So I have lots of choices but always pick the Sea Eagle.
Old 05-31-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Hi chesapeake1, we have an AE AdvancedFrame Expedition and Convertible. Only have one season with them so far, but am very impressed. They're stowable on our 37-footer. They paddle and track reasonably well, both can carry a load (especially the Convertible with one person in it) and they seem pretty durable.
Old 05-31-2014

OPossumTX is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Inflatable Kayaks

I just recently picked up a used 14ft Kaboat inflatable. Http://www.boatstogo.com/kayaks_sk430.asp
It came with a 2.5hp Yamaha 4 stroke which is what I really bought it for. Now, I really like the looks of the thing and may keep it and sell my 9.5 ft WM inflatable.

I haven't had it in the water yet because the prior owner brought it from out of state and I have hit a little snag getting the title transferred. I am looking forward to it though.

Has anyone used one of these as a tender?

Have FUN!
O'

Last edited by OPossumTX; 05-31-2014 at 09:45 AM.