Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2013

DosEquis is on a distinguished road
26' Ericson - Need a little help

I've never owned a boat or sailed before. It's in NC and I'd need to get it and sail it to a better location for me... First sail would be a coastal cruise.

I'm looking at an Ericson 26 for $500 online. I need to know if this is a good idea. Would it be a good first boat? The interior is gutted but it looks like but the hull should be ok. I'm asking for more info so I'll update as I get it. It's got a set of sails but no idea if they are in decent shape. Not wild about tillers but it's a cosmetic thing for me. Anyway, if you have thoughts to share, please do. I know less about boats than most people.

IF I buy it, I'll need a checklist of do this, buy that and sail this course. Most likely, I'll be asking for help daily until I make it to Jax. Didn't really expect to have a boat for several years but I think this is too good a deal to pass up.

Thanks in advance.

Byron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road
Re: 26' Ericson - Need a little help

what do you mean by gutted are the bulkheads are in place. cabinets you do not need to sail but bulkheads you do. even so you will have a lot more work to do then you realize. if you think it will take a year to finish the it will take you 5. gutted boats are not a good deal even if they are free. you will spend 10- 15k and the boat is worth maybe 5k in perfect condition. spend the 5k and get a sailable boat and learn to sail it. learning to sail in a boat that is not complete is not a good idea nor a safe idea.
Old 10-23-2013

harmonic is on a distinguished road

Unless you are a very handy person with carpentry and fibreglassing I would leave it alone it is a huge job to do a yacht interior,ive just done one and I am a carpenter,took all my spare time for a year and its still far from perfect.
Old 10-23-2013

There are still structures inside, just looks like the wood is very weathered. Water damage maybe? I'm pretty handy with wood and power tools. Haven't glassed anything in decades but not scared of it. The boat is on yachtworld. I'll post the link when I'm awake and on a computer. Not going to go through all that on my phone.
Old 10-23-2013

skygazer is on a distinguished road

I would not get in a strange cheap boat and do a coastal cruise with little experience.

"Coastal cruise" may sound safe and easy, but there are shoals, reefs, rocks, tides, currents, lobster pots etc. to deal with. You need to get some experience sailing with others, sailing around the harbor, finding out how a current can sweep you into things or make your helm stop responding.

I bought a boat that had the port side gutted. I worked on it on land to get it ship-shape before sailing it, then tried it out on a fresh water lake in summer weather before taking it to the ocean.

It's a bit hard to fit the settees etc. to the curved shape of the hull. Make sure you learn how to scribe wood, work with some cheap stuff or cardboard to get the pattern, cut the final pieces oversize and scribe them in.

I like the side I built the best, better workmanship, no creaking and groaning when you sit, better openings into the storage.

Instead of trying to sail it before you are ready, look into having it transported to somewhere to work on it. Get some experience sailing before heading out on the ocean.

Basically, there are a million old boats, don't jump for a low price, there are plenty of free ones I wouldn't consider taking. Don't think you have to rush into it, it's not your only chance. I bought mine after looking at a hundred, finding one I knew I could fix, basically sound, sails OK. It wasn't my first fixer up either. I'd get a complete boat to start out. Cheaper to let someone else do the work.
Old 10-23-2013

mikel1 is on a distinguished road

Ask over at ericsonyachts.org for all the specifics to look for, they're a great helpful group
Old 10-23-2013

1974 Ericson Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

This is the boat.
Old 10-23-2013

gedaggett is on a distinguished road

I agree with the thoughts about getting that boat (or any) and sailing it on the ocean for a long trip having no or very limited experience. Are you planing on doing this solo? There are so many things that you need to know about sailing and boat handling before setting out on a voyage like that.
Also consider the amount of money that you may need to spend to get that boat back up to ship shape and consider that you may be able to get a boat in better condition for the same money as the refit that is ready to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Old 10-23-2013

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road

Cushions $1000.00
Plumbing/ Sink/ Faucet/ stove $1000.00
wood work/ table $1000.00
running rigging/ standing rigging $1000.00
Engine repair $1000.00 (if not running)
hull condition , if it looks like this one 1978 Ericson 27 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS
Man hours to rebuild 200+

Other 26 foot boats on Yachtworld in good condition $5000.00

You choose which way to go & which will get you on the water sooner & cheaper
Old 10-23-2013

skygazer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DosEquis View Post

Look carefully at the first picture of the boat in today's rough condition. See that vertical "wall" on the left (port) side? Look closely at the top left and it looks like the wood is lighter colored. You can't see all the way to the top left, but I'm willing to bet that the chain plate (holding up the mast) is attached right there out of sight, and the lightness is water staining. Excellent chance that the bulkhead (support wall) is rotted from a leaking chainplate. That is something I avoid. The starboard (right) side has the same look. Those bulkheads were installed before the deck was put on. Replacing them can be done, but with great difficulty, and in pieces that must be joined. Major structural part of the boat. The trick with old boats is to get one basically sound.

Sure, maybe it's a camera/lighting problem, but I doubt it. I'd definitely not buy it sight unseen.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.