Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road
Re: NOAA To Stop Printing Nautical Charts

People complain about government waste, then complain more when the government gets efficient!

I don't know about the specific economics of their offset litho and digital presses, but here we switch to digital for quantities below about 5,000. I imagine that for most regions they sell fewer than 5,000 charts a year, so digital is the smart way to do it.

Wouldn't the quality of the printing of the digital charts depend on who you buy them from? Our large-format digital printers can produce more detail than our offset presses, and we can print a bigger variety of substrates. Wouldn't it be cool to have all your charts on Tyvek?

Hmmm... Maybe I should suggest to sales that we become a NOAA-certified printer...
Old 10-23-2013
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Or, unless you need one...

Your imagination is lacking, if you can't envision a situation where a paper chart might be a really, REALLY nice thing to have... :-)
I guess my imagination is lacking. Where would one need a paper chart where an electronic chart would not work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
I guess my imagination is lacking. Where would one need a paper chart where an electronic chart would not work?
Uhhh, when the electrons cease flowing to/within whatever device is displaying your electronic charts, perhaps?

It HAS been known to happen, after all... :-)
souljour2000 and DJR351 like this.
Old 10-23-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Zombie apocalypse comes to mind.

NOAA isn't printing charts anymore, because they aren't selling as many and they see the trend ahead. I get that, not surprised.

You'll still be able to get them(from others),but if demand keeps dropping I suspect price will go up, print quality will go down(following a general trend in print media?)

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 10-23-2013
Large Member

Quote:
Uhhh, when the electrons cease flowing to/within whatever device is displaying your electronic charts, perhaps?

It HAS been known to happen, after all... :-)
When paper charts get wet they tend not to work well either.

That's been known to happen as well. Maybe we just plan for these very rare occurrences in case they do happen. Spare battery or a charging source in your example would seem to cover it.

I guess I was thinking you meant paper charts had some benefit other than just being paper. IDK.

Last edited by GMFL; 10-23-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-23-2013
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
Zombie apocalypse comes to mind.
Now that could be an issue...
Old 10-23-2013

The Ol Man is on a distinguished road

Yes, I agree that we are spoiled, BUT, without getting into a political discustion, who made us this way?
We are a government of the people, FOR, the people. The government is not supposed to be a money making process for the benefit of a few at the top or to support the rest of the world, it is supposted to be for the benifit of WE, all the people under this government.
We the people work, pay our taxes, and elect people to run this country for the benefit of we, the people.
I, as a sailor, know that when I take my boat out that I have acknowaged that I must be competent in my abillities, knowledgable of the laws and rules governing my actions while sailing, and shall at all times manage my craft for the safety and enjoyment of ALL who share the waters with me.
I will be the first to step up a pay a few dollars extra to cover the "printing" cost for up-to-date charts IF i know that that is what it takes, but to simply take that ability out of my hands is a rather thoughless action of certain 'gubment' officials. To say that you can go down to your 'local' chart maker and get your charts is a step back in time to the 1500 and 'here be dragons'. When did he last update his data? How sharp is his printer, how smear proof his ink?
Oh, you say, print your own. I don't have a printer that will print over 8 1/2 x 14, do you? I don't carry an onboard computer, laptop, or surface, and while a chart plotter system would be wonderful it isn't in my budget this year or next or even the forseable future, the GPS was a major buy. I, like most of my sailing buddies, are NOT in the 2% or even the 10% bracket.
We sail the rivers, lakes, bays and coastal waters of the Gulf for our own pleasure and to fullfill our dreams of exploration, find new places and have fun doing it. We use our charts to resonablly, safely, go into waters unknown to us.
I guess we had better practice up using lead lines, range finders, and set dragon watches on the bow.
Dave_E likes this.
Old 10-23-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
When paper charts get wet they tend not to work well either.
That's when you're going to need the Tyvek charts that I'm going to go into business selling!

I think the quality will improve with time. These on demand charts are printed on large format inkjet printers, and the price of these has been plummeting and the quality is getting much better.

I have a Canon iPF6300 sitting right behind me. It prints 24" wide by however long at 2400dpi. The quality is stunning, you have to use a good glass to even see the dots. You can pick one up for under $4,000.
Old 10-23-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Or, unless you need one...

Your imagination is lacking, if you can't envision a situation where a paper chart might be a really, REALLY nice thing to have... :-)
A paper chart is always a nice thing to have, in fact an essential thing to have. It is simply amazing to me that people would trust electronic devices enough to not have paper charts as backups.

Last edited by smurphny; 10-23-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-23-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

As soon as the pdf's are available, it's a pretty easy process to select the charts you want, email them off, and have them printed out by custom print shops. Then you can get them printed on anything from paper to Mylar film, for just a couple of bucks.

The fact that the government is getting out of the printing business and sending this function back to private industry seems like a win all the way round.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stumble For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (10-23-2013)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.