Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2013

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road
Re: NOAA To Stop Printing Nautical Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
As soon as the pdf's are available, it's a pretty easy process to select the charts you want, email them off, and have them printed out by custom print shops. Then you can get them printed on anything from paper to Mylar film, for just a couple of bucks.

The fact that the government is getting out of the printing business and sending this function back to private industry seems like a win all the way round.
Who prints full size color charts for just a couple of bucks? Most of the times I've looked, the prices are around $50 or more for that sort of printing, making the $20 charts from official printers the best deal. I'm an engineer and most of the places I work have large scale printers available. I've used those (buying my own ink and paper) to print dozens of charts. I don't always have that capability though (I'm a consultant/contractor), so if there were a source of cheap chart printing, I'd love to hear about it.
Downeaster 38 #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ol Man View Post

I will be the first to step up a pay a few dollars extra to cover the "printing" cost for up-to-date charts IF i know that that is what it takes, but to simply take that ability out of my hands is a rather thoughless action of certain 'gubment' officials. To say that you can go down to your 'local' chart maker and get your charts is a step back in time to the 1500 and 'here be dragons'. When did he last update his data? How sharp is his printer, how smear proof his ink?
You don't have any idea what 'Print on Demand' NOAA charts are, do you?

Have no fear, this service is not going away:

Print On Demand Charts
Seaduction likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonEisberg For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (10-23-2013), The Ol Man (10-24-2013)
Old 10-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
When paper charts get wet they tend not to work well either.

That's been known to happen as well. Maybe we just plan for these very rare occurrences in case they do happen. Spare battery or a charging source in your example would seem to cover it.
Hmmm, perhaps I'm the only one who's ever had electronics zapped by lightning, or suffered the failure of a black box that could not be remedied by plugging it in to an alternate charging source...

Quote:
I guess I was thinking you meant paper charts had some benefit other than just being paper. IDK.
Yeah, they do... They don't require the uninterrupted flow of electrons to read... :-)

Sure, I realize the odds are pretty slim... but, just call me More than Once Bitten, Thrice Shy...

And, a Dinosaur... :-)
Old 10-23-2013
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Yeah, they do... They don't require the uninterrupted flow of electrons to read... :-)

Sure, I realize the odds are pretty slim... but, just call me More than Once Bitten, Thrice Shy...

And, a Dinosaur... :-)
What happens when the paper gets wet? I'm going to go out on a very short limb here and suggest that getting important items wet is infinitely more possible than them being hit by lightning.

Don't rely on electronics? What happens when you need help, even with those paper charts? Electronics to the rescue! Damn that potential t-storm!

All kidding aside. Although I do have current paper charts, I just made a solo passage south from San Francisco and used the iPad for planning, navigation, Google, lunch spots, messaging, everything. I'm certain that I will never buy another paper chart for nav purposes anyway.
Old 10-23-2013

Quote:
What happens when the paper gets wet? I'm going to go out on a very short limb here and suggest that getting important items wet is infinitely more possible than them being hit by lightning.
No doubt you're right about that...

Funny, but I can't recall the last time I had a paper chart rendered unusable by moisture, I take great care to keep mine dry, and spilled coffee is far and away the most likely casualty any of my paper charts are likely to have suffered, in any event... Suffice it to say, I have had far more losses/failures of electronic devices on boats, than of paper charts, and pencils, etc...

Quote:
Don't rely on electronics? What happens when you need help, even with those paper charts? Electronics to the rescue! Damn that potential t-storm!
Where have I suggested that? My little tub is likely equipped with more electronic gizmos than most of her size, and most of the boats I deliver are fitted out electronically to the hilt, as well. I make use of all that stuff routinely, reliance on GPS is my primary means of navigation, and I've probably made more than one run from the NE or Mid-Atlantic to Florida without ever even glancing at a paper chart... Still, I'm simply not comfortable being without them, especially in waters that are new or unfamiliar to me...

Old 10-23-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What happens when the paper gets wet? ...
POD charts can be printed with a water resistant coating on which you can still use pencils to plot your course.

And, NOAA has been pointing people towards agents like Oceangrafix for years. They have links on the website. Why is this all new and confusing all of a sudden?
DJR351 and Seaduction like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 10-23-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-24-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Other than for Narragansett Bay itself, I've not purchased all the separate charts in years. I have two Maptech chartbooks on top of my nav station with everything from NJ to ME. Check the front glossary, turn to the correct page and slip it back into the clear plastic cover. Way to go. They are my backup to electronic nav. I assume they will remain available.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-24-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I have not bought paper charts for a number of years. I think the last Maptech Chartbook I have is around five years old. Ever since NOAA RNC and ENC charts became available, I have been printing my own up to date charts, downloaded from NOAA on a little inkjet printer I keep aboard. As I have posted here before, printing up your own custom little 8x11 chartbooks, with infinite scale options, is extremely helpful. Color is optional but I've never found it necessary. These chartbooks can be printed directly from plotter software (actually Sea Clear does the best job of printing without annoying corporate logos), showing notes, routes, markers, etc. and can be used to write on as you go, serving as your logbook. This seems like a no-brainer to me, given modern technology. You have the go-to electronic nav and paper backup/log as well. I have referred to these many times when planning for currents. They give a real-world account about what actually occurs in certain spots, when currents actually turn, etc. Marking your track with time and speed, gives an excellent record of actual events which can be used for subsequent planning.

A laserjet printer would be better but I find that laserjets will not work on my converter, even though it is a "pure sine wave" model. I cnnot ever remember water destroying any chart but even if this happened, another would be easy to print.

Last edited by smurphny; 10-24-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-24-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I guess my imagination is lacking. Where would one need a paper chart where an electronic chart would not work?
or if you do not have electronics onboard. I only have a radio, compass, and nav lights.
GMFL likes this.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 10-24-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

John,

So your objection to electronic charts is that the charts are less accurate than the GPS? Just as with paper charts, take a land fix and plot it on the chart plotter.